power socket - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Versys-X 300 General Discussion Please post any 2017+ Kawasaki Versys-X 300 related topics that DO NOT fit into any of the other topics here.

29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

power socket

After finding a post about 650 Versys using bikemaster power outlets instead of Kawasaki DC outlets on one of these Versys forums, I decided to fit the $8 bikemaster outlet in the dash of my VX300 instead of the OEM unit. Had to extend the leads on the DC outlet to reach the bullet connectors under the dash but otherwise fit like OEM. Installed the outlet and the Kawasaki Accessory relay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170516_191623900.jpg (58.0 KB, 517 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 76 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 08:20 PM

Garage
I want to do the same to my X-300.

Where is the switched power connector?
Why is it necessary to install the Kawasaki power outlet relay? Surely this outlet will only be for phone/GPS/camera and a relay would be unnecessary?

Thanks, Brockie
post #3 of 76 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 10:08 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockie View Post
I want to do the same to my X-300.

Where is the switched power connector?
Why is it necessary to install the Kawasaki power outlet relay? Surely this outlet will only be for phone/GPS/camera and a relay would be unnecessary?

Thanks, Brockie
the relay is there to turn the out let on and off with the ignition so it doesnt drain your battery
aboyandhisversys likes this.

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"

post #4 of 76 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 10:30 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
the relay is there to turn the out let on and off with the ignition so it doesnt drain your battery
On all my other motorcycle I have just found a switched power source. Usually there is a spare there somewhere, my V-Strom has one under the tank for heated grips, and I used that.

So If I can locate a switched power source on the X-300 there is no need for a relay?
post #5 of 76 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 12:38 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgia View Post
After finding a post about 650 Versys using bikemaster power outlets instead of Kawasaki DC outlets on one of these Versys forums, I decided to fit the $8 bikemaster outlet in the dash of my VX300 instead of the OEM unit. Had to extend the leads on the DC outlet to reach the bullet connectors under the dash but otherwise fit like OEM. Installed the outlet and the Kawasaki Accessory relay.
That's what I use and it works great although I think it cost more than $8, still much cheaper than the Kawasaki one, although similar quality. I've also purchased sockets for $1 from EBay but the bike-master is higher quality and I has the leads and a line fuse built in. I drilled my dash with a 3.5cm bit. They have collar that tightens up to hold it in the hole. The leads connect direct to the battery.

It has a durable rubber cap to keep it covered when not in use. The socket has even filled with water when I left the bike parked overnight in a rainstorm with the cap off with no ill effect. Unsalted water (rain water) does not conduct electricity!

A switched power source can be advantageous if you have something with a parasitic power draw or something you might accidentally leave on and drain the battery but with a power socket there is no need for it to be switched. It will only draw power if something is plugged in. Being unswitched means you can used it while the key is out of the ignition, like charging a phone/gps or running an air compressor to fill the tires.

When you install the power socket, first check first that the placement will not interfere with the movement of the handlebars at full lock - sometimes USB adapters and the plugs that plug into them protrude a bit.
Brockie likes this.

Last edited by twowheels; 07-04-2017 at 12:52 AM.
post #6 of 76 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgia View Post
...Installed the outlet and the Kawasaki Accessory relay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockie View Post
...Where is the switched power connector?
Why is it necessary to install the Kawasaki power outlet relay?...
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
the relay is there to turn the outlet on and off with the ignition so it doesn't drain your battery
On the V650 the relay goes behind the headlight (EASY to get to)

and it 'powers-up' the various wire-sets that Ma Kawi thoughtfully installed for us, altho' it ONLY allows 5 amps. Co$t me about $16 Canadian from my dealer.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 76 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 07:42 AM

I would really like if someone posted a picture of a power source that can be used in the faring/ handlebar location! ( for the 2017 versys 300 X )
post #8 of 76 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 08:51 PM

I want the socket live all the time.
So I will connect it directly to the battery
Hell with the relay

Rob
post #9 of 76 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsx300 View Post
I want the socket live all the time.
So I will connect it directly to the battery
Hell with the relay

Rob
Better hope that no a$$hat puts something metallic into it. W/out a fuse you'll fry the bike....
aboyandhisversys likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #10 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 10:54 PM

Garage
Installed one today made by Custom Accessories. Got it at O'reilly auto parts for about $12. Fit into the hole on the instrument panel snugly, and is held in with a threaded ring on the back. Also installed the factory relay kit (needed for the fog lights I installed at the same time). I'm not sure if the bullet connectors are powered without the relay kit?

shifted likes this.
post #11 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
...Unsalted water (rain water) does not conduct electricity!....
I would NOT "bet-my-life" on that....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac23 View Post
...I'm not sure if the bullet connectors are powered without the relay kit?...
On the 650 (mine is the '15 650LT), they are NOT powered w/out the relay kit.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #12 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 11:12 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Unsalted water (rain water) does not conduct electricity!

Like Eddie said. FYI, unless the water is 0.00 micro Siemens ( rain isn't), it will conduct electricity, especially DC.
post #13 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 11:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Like Eddie said. FYI, unless the water is 0.00 micro Siemens ( rain isn't), it will conduct electricity, especially DC.
My point is fresh water is a poor conductor of electricity but it's conductivity can be greatly increased by adding salt or sometimes other elements that will dissolve. For instance when I left the cap off my 12v outlet on the bike and parked it, a late night rain storm filled the live socket with water. It did not short anything or drain the battery even though the bike sat for over 12 hours with a live 12V socket full of water. On the other hand rain water will sometimes cause a high voltage line to arc over a cracked insulator where it will not do so in the dry. Voltage is the electrical equivalent of water or air pressure, current is the volume of flow (gal/hour). I had a summer job with the local electrical utility once, inspecting high voltage lines. It conducts slightly better than air but not anywhere like a true conductor. The movies where someone is murdered by throwing a toaster in the bathtub is based on false science.

"Pure water is not a good conductor of electricity. Ordinary distilled water in equilibrium with carbon dioxide of the air has a conductivity of about 10 x 10-6 W-1*m-1 (20 dS/m). Because the electrical current is transported by the ions in solution, the conductivity increases as the concentration of ions increases." - Google

Last edited by twowheels; 10-02-2017 at 11:46 PM.
post #14 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 12:17 AM
Super Moderator

Conductivity 101/ No such thing as pure rainwater

Quote:
My point is fresh water is a poor conductor of electricity but it's conductivity can be greatly increased by adding salt or sometimes other elements that will dissolve. For instance when I left the cap off my 12v outlet on the bike and parked it, a late night rain storm filled the live socket with water. It did not short anything or drain the battery even though the bike sat for over 12 hours with a live 12V socket full of water. On the other hand rain water will sometimes cause a high voltage line to arc over a cracked insulator where it will not do so in the dry. I had a summer job with the local electrical utility once, inspecting high voltage lines. It conducts slightly better than air but not anywhere like a true conductor. The movies where someone is murdered by throwing a toaster in the bathtub is based on false science.

"Pure water is not a good conductor of electricity. Ordinary distilled water in equilibrium with carbon dioxide of the air has a conductivity of about 10 x 10-6 W-1*m-1 (20 dS/m). Because the electrical current is transported by the ions in solution, the conductivity increases as the concentration of ions increases." - Google
I spent over 30 years fixing inverters, and still consult, everything was water cooled. A fact of life using de-ion cartridges, ideal conductivity was 20 micro-siemens, which was roughly 1 million ohms with a 1/2 inch water line. The lower you go the more the water will try and re absorb from the copper coils, the tubing,above 40 micro siemens you get electrolysis. So having said that you would think, like yourself that there would be no issue with rain water getting into the 12 volt socket, so I too thought. This isn't a very good picture, but just to the right of the vacuum gauge is my distribution. I have a 12 volt outlet with a adapter plugged into it at all times for my GPS, this is under the plastic but I have been in some heavy rain / torrential downpours, last fall it would drop out and stop working.

What I found was the various metals started some corrosion / oxidation from rain water getting in, I have since formed a rubber cone above the outlet, end of problem. I was more or less trying to be funny siding with Eddie, however, there is a huge difference between the amount of electric current it takes to kill a person and the amount of current it takes to produce a arc or cause carbon tracking. So wet skin conducts about 100 times better than dry skin https://www.quora.com/Safety-Why-doe...electric-shock So I have done my due diligence, no one can say Onewizard said it was OK to touch the spark plug wire while the car was running and it was raining out, because it was rain water
post #15 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 07:04 AM

Thank you for this great post!! Nice of you to take the extra time for the photos!!!!!
post #16 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 09:23 AM

Bikemaster dual USB. Mount on your bars or in OEM slot. Direct wire with fuse or attach to battery Tender. 12V sockets becoming obsolete.
BikeMaster Dual USB Port/Plug Charger tender free ship | eBay
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg (41.6 KB, 127 views)
post #17 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 09:06 PM

Garage
My switched power source.

When I enquired at Kawasaki about an OEM power outlet they said $210, I think because you need a power relay as well to light up the 300's accessory wiring.

Instead I went to an electronics store downunder called Jaycar (do you still have Tandy's) and bought a marine suitable outlet for $6.95.
I then probed with a meter and found switched wiring to the tail light. Australian regulations require hard wired head/tail lights.

The tail light plug is pictured below below. Red is power, Black/yellow stripe is earth. I used those crimp on splicers to avoid soldering or cutting at circle A. the other half of the plug is B.

Here is the finished connection with the blue splicing units tucked out of the way and with the plug reconnected.

Here is the plug in place. The hole was just a little tight so I opened it up a tad with a rat tail file. Note the second connection. I twisted the red and white wires from the tail light with the red and black wires from half of a SAE bullet type connector and soldered both pairs into the plugs that connect onto the power outlet. $3.45.
I will use the other half of the bullet connector, soldered to a wire-in 12v to 5v adaptor to mini USB ($19.95) which will be permanently wired to my fixed Mobius camera.

Last edited by Brockie; 10-24-2017 at 11:48 PM.
post #18 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 09:47 AM

Thanks for this thread. It is so much easier when others have paved the way. :-) I will follow Brockie's lead by using a switched wire since this will be a low power outlet for a phone and action camera. A 5A circuit should be sufficient. I did a Battery Tender lead direct to the battery for a compressor if needed and for the winter to keep the battery maintained although I tend to ride most of the year here unless it becomes arctic.

Last edited by SECoda; 10-22-2017 at 12:41 PM.
post #19 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 09:48 AM

Well I was up at the dealer yesterday and they gave me the $18 relay for free for posting a positive review on them.

So now I have a relay and am about to install it. With the handlebar all of the way to right I have good access to the harness plug for the relay and the power outlet connectors (I have a bag of connectors). I can manipulate it with my fingers even. I just don't see the need to remove everything for this installation yet.... I guess my hands are small enough. I have avoided the disassembles before including removing the tank on my V-Strom on one wiring harness install. I also have a set of very long handled tools to help (but I can get my fingers on everything in this case). You also need a shorty Phillips (or better yet a long flex shaft Phillips) to get the 12v plug out. Wish me luck.

Last edited by SECoda; 10-24-2017 at 10:56 AM.
post #20 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 10:31 AM

The relay took 5 minutes to install. Don't waste your time disassembling the bike for this. Removing the plastic plug is probably the toughest part (see later on that this was easy too). A flexible shaft Phillips head driver should do it (not needed).

Last edited by SECoda; 10-24-2017 at 01:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode