power socket - Page 3 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Versys-X 300 General Discussion Please post any 2017+ Kawasaki Versys-X 300 related topics that DO NOT fit into any of the other topics here.

30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 07:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesper Hedegaard View Post
Now - there's something about this power socket thing I don't understand; what does that little thing with only two terminals doo - the one sold as a relay ?
To my best knowledge, you need 1 terminal for for control signal (usually a +), 1 for ground, 1 for + in and 1 for + out (to whatever you want it to power).
So how do we have a relay with 2 terminals ?!?
Google will only find me flasher relays with only two terminals.

But: has anybody found a ignition controlled live wire near the front of the bike ?
Would love to hook up my GPS without having to install a relay for it....though it only draws very low power, my Garmin has vertically placed terminals as connection between GPS unit and cradle, so leaving power on constantly makes the terminals on the cradle corrode....tried and tested by: me ;o)
Why not see if you can find the wires to the "Position Lights" either side of the headlight. The brown with a yellow stripe is power and the black with a yellow stripe the earth.
I did not bother with the relay either as I have no high draw accessories.
Otherwise look back in this thread to where I wired up off the tail light power.
p.s. the OEM Accessory Relay has four terminals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockie View Post
Why not see if you can find the wires to the "Position Lights" either side of the headlight. The brown with a yellow stripe is power and the black with a yellow stripe the earth.
I did not bother with the relay either as I have no high draw accessories.
Otherwise look back in this thread to where I wired up off the tail light power.
p.s. the OEM Accessory Relay has four terminals.

Thanks - I'll look for those wires - tail lights seems to be in the wrong enf for my purpose ;o)
OK - but what is that two terminal thing, Kawasaki claims is needed for using the relay, then ?
Did they just add a blinde end of the wires, where you have to add their "thing" in order to get the wiring for the relay live ?
Could this be circumvented by simply shorting the twwo wires for the "thing" ?
post #43 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Not Sure If 1 Available

Not sure if he sold both, but a steal:

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ighlight=relay

post #44 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Not sure if he sold both, but a steal:

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ighlight=relay
Yep that's the one - and now I see the name/number on it: Omron 27002-1086-XXXX.
Googling it, I see that it has been used by Kawasaki for quite some time - with some confusion, as the XXXX seems to be more or less random and insignificant.
And Google also showed me better close-up pics than what has been brought in here: it DOES have 4 terminals !
Then I'm back in business, as I understand that it's just a normal on/off relay - just as we are used to ;o)
Only specialty is that all 4 terminals are placed in a 2x2 block - which means normal relays with 4 terminals in a -eeh - cross pattern won't fit.
In the Bush Ninja thread over on AR, it has been mentioned that the relay is made by Osram and sold under their own name - btu with same P/N - and can be found on the great internet.
post #45 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 09:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I installed an accessory 12v port in the hole in the dash using the OEM wiring and Kawasaki OEM relay. It was a PITA with my normal size (normal??) hands to remove the dash block off plug and to untie the relay and 12v port wires on the harness without removing any body work.

Anyway, it works fine EXCEPT my hardwire 12v Garmin mini usb power cord for my Oregon GPS hits the clutch cable when the handlebars are turned to the right. I will figure that out in the next day or so.

So, I have about $30.00 and my time for the aftermarket 12v port and the Kawasaki OEM relay.
SECoda likes this.
post #46 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 09:53 PM

I still have to add the mount and power for a Garmin Zumo gps that I have on the V-Strom. THen I can just move it back and forth. Those Garmin mounts with wiring are expensive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #47 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECoda View Post
I still have to add the mount and power for a Garmin Zumo gps that I have on the V-Strom. THen I can just move it back and forth. Those Garmin mounts with wiring are expensive.
Yes, they are. BTW I rode over 200 miles in south, central Missourah' yesterday on my Super Tenere.
Three of us rode on the great roads south of I44 and ate at the Bixby general store. My X300 will be broke in with the 600 mile service completed in the next day or two........then it will be ready for the curvy Missouri roads.
SECoda likes this.
post #48 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 10:58 PM

I rode the V-Strom today for about 100 miles. Versys tomorrow!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #49 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesper Hedegaard View Post
Yep that's the one - and now I see the name/number on it: Omron 27002-1086-XXXX.
Googling it, I see that it has been used by Kawasaki for quite some time - with some confusion, as the XXXX seems to be more or less random and insignificant.
And Google also showed me better close-up pics than what has been brought in here: it DOES have 4 terminals !
Then I'm back in business, as I understand that it's just a normal on/off relay - just as we are used to ;o)
Only specialty is that all 4 terminals are placed in a 2x2 block - which means normal relays with 4 terminals in a -eeh - cross pattern won't fit.
In the Bush Ninja thread over on AR, it has been mentioned that the relay is made by Osram and sold under their own name - btu with same P/N - and can be found on the great internet.
As you stated, it is a simple normally open single pole relay using 12 volts for the coil to operate. FYI , I used one from the dealer as part of my $300 extras . I then purchased a aftermarket SPDT relay complete with socket and wiring harness, a total package of 5 relays shipped to my door for $20 Canadian, or $4 each, rated at 40 amp. Here is a example;
https://www.amazon.ca/8milelake-Auto...+12+volt+relay
post #50 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 10:52 PM

Garage
Diagrams for Sil3ns

As requested the diagrams you needed (I cannot attach jpg's to PM's)
I have had to downsize them to an acceptable size. Good luck with your mod, and Merry Xmas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WiringVersys-x300ABS_1.jpg (48.7 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg WiringVersys-x300ABS_2.jpg (44.1 KB, 104 views)

2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300; 2010 Suzuki V-Strom 650; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100J
post #51 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-24-2017, 12:12 AM

Garage
Thanks Brockie. Unfortunately, those look to be scanned at 436 x 600 resolution. That's kinda small. When I blow them up big enough to read they are way too blurry to make out. Lots of small type in there that just gets turned into gray smudge. File size is only 95K. I don't know if this web site automatically shrinks uploaded files, but if you could scan those diagrams at a higher resolution and DPI, I might be able to make them out.

PS. I just tried to upload a .png of the enlarged diagram into the "Drag and Drop File Upload" on this website just so you could see how bad it was. I got an error that said "Capture.PNG is too large. Max allowed: 20KB". That is a very small max file size for a .png file. Could you possibly e-mail them to me at [email protected]? THat way we don't have to worry about what file size.

Again, thank you for the diagrams. This will help a lot with a few of my mad scientist projects.
post #52 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-24-2017, 10:07 AM

Any chance I could get a set of those at full resolution. :-)

[email protected]

post #53 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 07:37 PM

Garage
Please let me know if they are still illegible and I will rescan, using a BIG file. I found the wire colors difficult to read.
SECoda likes this.

post #54 of 80 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 05:37 PM

If you don't zoom them in too much they are readable. ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockie View Post
Please let me know if they are still illegible and I will rescan, using a BIG file. I found the wire colors difficult to read.
Brockie likes this.

post #55 of 80 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 10:17 PM

how do I remove the black plastic part around the light so that it can be like this?

[/QUOTE]

--Versys-X 250--
post #56 of 80 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 09:04 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirlirkuv3 View Post
how do I remove the black plastic part around the light so that it can be like this?

[/QUOTE]

You need to reove the complete faring first - starting at the rear carrier.
I have answered your "Versys-X 300 KLE300B/C Service Manual" thread.
Let me know if you need more help.

post #57 of 80 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 09:53 PM

I tapped in the same switched power wire for the power outlet as for the relay on my aux LED lights which is close to the Kaw relay. The lights power comes direct from the battery.

post #58 of 80 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 07:51 PM

I bought the factory DC power outlet. I installed the relay, no problem but like what you said, the leads are too short. I cut one of the tie wraps that held the 2 bullet connectors to the harness but still don't of enough length. How the hell did you get yours to reach? do you have pics?

"one cross thread is better than two lockwashers"
post #59 of 80 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 09:15 PM

I installed an aftermarket 12v port in my X 300 dash after installing the Kawasaki OEM relay. I had to shorten the wires from my port and install the bullet connectors to plug in the two (+/-) factory leads. It sounds like you may have to extend your factory 12v port leads to make the connection. It seems to be the only solution if the leads are too short.
post #60 of 80 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 08:01 AM

Garage
FYI, if you don't want to waste the money on the OEM relay, I found one on amazon that works. It doesnt have the rubber extension that comes down around the connector, but I don't see the lack of that being an issue for me.

http://a.co/bao0plK

I used it to connect a set of heated grips to the bullet connectors, as I already have a USB charger for a set of battery tender leads.
CheesyRider and onewizard like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode