Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Counter Shaft Sprocket nut

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  fasteddiecopeman 
#1 ·
Would like very much to try the 15 tooth sprocket, but can't budge the sprocket nut! Using at least a 30" cheater bar on my socket wrench. Having difficulty holding brake pedal as advised in service manual, so headed front wheel into garage wall. Got to point whole sprocket is turning with the nut which I suspect shows the clutch is slipping. Also tried heat on nut using small propane torch. Yes, I did bend back the washer flap, but noticed the whole washer is dished. That thing's really on there.

My inclination is to go with an impact wrench. Have found moderate priced one on Amazon that claims 1050 foot pounds unscrewing torque. Should be enough. Guess it's either this or the dealer(130 miles away!). Would choose a six-sided socket as well to minimize rounding of corners. Nut is shallow, nowhere full depth nut.

I must have done this operation 40 or 50 times with chain/sprocket replacements over the years. Always found them a challenge but never impossible.

Any suggestions re use of impact wrench, what spec for wrench, alternatives?

Thanks for your help.

John

See less See more
#5 ·
The first time I changed mine it took a SIX point tightly fitting socket on 24" breaker bar with a four foot length of pipe slipped over.
Did the wedge thing & blocked the wheel with a 2x4 then applied the largest friend I had to lean on the wrench before it popped.

Seems to be a right of passage for Versys riders.

#6 ·
Pffftttt!!

I used my 1/4” T handle stepped up with a 1/4” to 3/8” coupled with a 3/8” to 1/2” adapter and topped of with a 27mm socket.....a firm twist and the countershaft lock nut on my X 300 was loose.:grin2:

Attachments

#8 ·
I don't know what the torque spec on a 300 is, but if it comes off with a twist of a wrist I'd be a little concerned that the gorillas that mount the counter shaft sprocket jobbed it out to a spider monkey.
There's a long list of 650 owners who've had issues pulling it on the first change.

#10 ·
...I must have done this operation 40 or 50 times with chain/sprocket replacements over the years. Always found them a challenge but never impossible.

Any suggestions re use of impact wrench, what spec for wrench, alternatives?

Thanks for your help.

John
I have an Ingersol-Rand carbon 1/2" air impact in BC, and a Craftsman 1/2" in AZ.

For me - an important issue is to start the "operation" w/ the air-tank pressure at its HIGHEST (NOT down several psi)!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.