DIY Seat Modification Versys X300 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By jimger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 05-18-2020, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
DIY Seat Modification Versys X300

As many of you know the seat on the Versys X300 is not much softer than a piece of wood! Also, the seat rises at about a 45 degree angle before flattening out for the passenger. I was looking to see if I could improve comfort, and increase the size of the area that I could sit in, so I decided to redo the seat.
I purchased foam from the FoamFactory in Macomb MI. For the base I used 2” of Rebound Foam, and for the cover, I used 1” of Super Max closed cell foam. Here are pictures of the stock foam and the base layer for comparison.

Apparently the pictures are at the bottom of this thread as opposed to how I actually wrote the article! But the photos all have captions to help you out.

You will note that the stock foam is flatter and goes right up to the back of the gas tank. Had I known that the foam would fall short of the tank, I would have extended the foam beyond the front of the pan. Where as mine is more of a saddle design with a gradual slope up to the passenger area. Here’s what the pan looked like w/o foam.

I glued the foam to the pan and to itself with 3M 77 spray adhesive. It worked
great!! The area where I sit is covered in 2” of Rebound foam, the passenger area is only covered with 1” of Rebound foam as that area is normally covered by my 50 liter saddle bag. After the base layer was attached, I glued the 1” layer of SuperMax foam to the base layer w/3M77. Pictured as green/blue foam.

I used 1/4”, Stainless Steel #6 screws with Truss heads to attach the vinyl to the frame of the seat. The vinyl was 360 degree Stretch Vinyl from Sailrite Corp. Columbia City, IN. Staff was helpful in selection of correct vinyl. 360 stretch really helped in the compound curve areas! Pictured below is my seat, followed by factory seat.

Yes, there are a few wrinkles, but they do not interfere with comfort. I was not able to increase the length of the rider seating area due to the shape of the seat pan. However, mine is much more comfortable!!!!!!

Cost of foam ~$46.00 including shipping & tax
Cost of Vinyl ~$41 including shipping & tax
3M 77 $10.00
Screws , Bag of 100 $4.00- I used ~90 screws
Labor 3-4 hrs over a 5 day period

First Impressions
I noticed that I do not slide forward or backward when accelerating or decelerating as I did with the stock seat, that is a big improvement! I am the same distance off the ground as the stock seat, but much more comfortable. I rode 110 miles w/o issues the first day, and 90 miles a few days later. Due to Covid-19 Lockdown, I am unable to travel a long distance, but I will post my impressions when I am able to travel more miles or multiple days.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bike.w:OrigFoam.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	169443   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bike.w.BaseLayer.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	169445   Click image for larger version

Name:	MT.Pan.Profile.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	169447   Click image for larger version

Name:	top.Layer.jpg
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	169449   Click image for larger version

Name:	Before.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	169451  

Click image for larger version

Name:	After.1.jpg
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	169453  
TechScott and eagle_awd like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode