Coronavirus- Staying At Home With The VX-300 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Like Tree10Likes
  • 3 Post By Fastoman
  • 1 Post By RobMontana
  • 1 Post By chudzikb
  • 1 Post By Fastoman
  • 1 Post By Fastoman
  • 2 Post By Fastoman
  • 1 Post By onewizard
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2020, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
zebraranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Florida
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Coronavirus- Staying At Home With The VX-300

Since I've been staying at home so much, I've had plenty of time to do maintenance on the bikes. I've done oil, coolant & brake fluid changes on all three bikes. For the past couple of weeks, I haven't been riding as much as I usually do. But, since the X-300 is the smallest & lightest bike to get in and out of the garage, I've been riding the VX-300 a little more. Every evening, I've been taking it out just riding around the subdivision, about 4.5 miles round trip. I normally wear all the riding gear (full face helmet, jacket, boots, gloves Ect), but on these rides, since I'm averaging 25 to 30 MPH and no traffic to speak of on the neighborhood streets, I've been riding helmetless with just sunglasses on for eye protection (feels pretty good).

The subdivision is much different with the Coronavirus going on. Seeing all the cars parked in the driveways is an odd sight. Many more people out in their front yards, standing around talking to their neighbors. Also a lot more people waving hello to me, as I slowly cruise by. They seem much more friendlier now more than ever. Its also strange to see no heavy urban traffic congestion & bumper to bumper gridlock here in the Tampa Bay area. Has the pandemic caused any changes in your riding habits?

Moto Guzzi Griso 1200, Kawasaki Versys X-300
Harley Super Glide Custom, Honda Metropolitan
zebraranger is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2020, 01:33 PM
Member
 
jaaklucas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 522
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Been riding alot. Normally getting out of the city here takes some tactical planning like time of day leaving and returning. No traffic now, anywhere really. All the motorcyclists are soaking it up. Lets all hope this thing gets under control. Till then, happy trails and take all the precautions when you pit stop!
jaaklucas is online now  
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2020, 02:49 PM
Member
 
Pekes17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Vancouver Island, BC Canada
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Rode from Victoria to Qualicum Beach yesterday to have (picnic) lunch with a friend by the ocean - thoroughly enjoyable. Cool weather but pure sunshine.
So, the riding was mostly highway and speeds of 120km/hr (speedo is optimistic). Nonetheless I was impressed with bike performance holding 8000-9000 rpm. Very smooth and some power to spare.
Getting back to Covid-19 life - hardly anyone on the road. It was like driving on Christmas day.
It's one thing to get to ride a motorcycle. It's another to have the highway practically to yourself. Strange but...I like it. I was practicing social distancing, for the most part.
Pekes17 is offline  
 
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2020, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator
 
Fastoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ipoh.Perak.Malaysia
Posts: 7,618
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraranger View Post
Since I've been staying at home so much, I've had plenty of time to do maintenance on the bikes. I've done oil, coolant & brake fluid changes on all three bikes. For the past couple of weeks, I haven't been . They seem much more friendlier now more than ever. Its also strange to see no heavy urban traffic congestion & bumper to bumper gridlock here in the Tampa Bay area. Has the pandemic caused any changes in your riding habits?
Not the riding habit ; but has brought back the natural human's habits back to the surface of this world. Life is living in the early 70's. we have more time for our self and others and not living in the mad rushing world.
Fastoman is offline  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-24-2020, 12:30 AM
Member
 
RobMontana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
No changes in my riding habit.
Spring comes late to my part of the country, and I have cabin fever! Rode 400 miles this weekend. Temps around 40f. I did get chilled at times but I kept going! Beautiful sunny days otherwise.
The roads are a little less congested although the country roads I ride arent ever packed. And the gas stations were pretty empty. Easy in and out. Gas prices dropping too. Get out and ride before they shut more things down and lock us all up.
onewizard likes this.
RobMontana is offline  
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-24-2020, 06:25 AM
Member
 
twowheeladdict's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4,506
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
I got back from working 8 1/2 weeks on the Gulf Coast in NW Florida last Wednesday. I've been working from home and have only got in a couple 50 mile rides out in the country where I live. I have over 60 days of leave on the books so am just waiting for the right weather to pack up and head to the woods for some camping and riding. For now I'll stick with afternoon rides when the weather cooperates.

When I had my Van Van 200 in Florida last summer I would ride some of the neighborhoods in shorts, T-shirt, sandals and really enjoyed it. My wife said to not get too used to it.

My Versys Travels:


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
twowheeladdict is offline  
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-29-2020, 02:35 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
No traffic is a huge win for riders. This past Tuesday, a couple buddies and I did about a 200 mile ride with a combination of dirt and pavement. Even hit a small part of the MABDR, knew because it popped up on my GPS. Good times with few cars.
chudzikb is offline  
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-29-2020, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
zebraranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Florida
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chudzikb View Post
No traffic is a huge win for riders.
Unfortunately where I live we are in full lock down mode, it doesnt matter about the traffic. But I do agree, I did get in a couple of rides before the full lock down mode went into effect and the lack of traffic was so very nice.

Moto Guzzi Griso 1200, Kawasaki Versys X-300
Harley Super Glide Custom, Honda Metropolitan
zebraranger is offline  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2020, 09:58 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Well we are "supposed" to be in full lockdown, however, my friends think differently. Not saying right, but, we are in low density areas, and we are "self isolating" on our bikes. It is strange riding through major cities with only a smattering of traffic. My buddy and I may or may not have driven down to Baltimore this week and bought a pair of CRF 450L's. Things happen!
turn8a likes this.
chudzikb is offline  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2020, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator
 
Fastoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ipoh.Perak.Malaysia
Posts: 7,618
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Locke down here has been extended till end month. Nothing much can be done except talk to the bike with a beer in hand. No riding permitted by internal minister.
onewizard likes this.
Fastoman is offline  
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2020, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kitchener Ontario
Posts: 8,764
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Language Of Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
Locke down here has been extended till end month. Nothing much can be done except talk to the bike with a beer in hand. No riding permitted by internal minister.
What laguage does your bike speek and are you sharing your beer?
onewizard is offline  
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2020, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator
 
Fastoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ipoh.Perak.Malaysia
Posts: 7,618
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
What laguage does your bike speek and are you sharing your beer?
My English and No! I don,t share the beer as one spinning head is good enough.
onewizard likes this.
Fastoman is offline  
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2020, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
zebraranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Florida
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
When I started this thread I remember feeling a little more optimistic about the whole virus thing, but now after being home for almost a month, not as much optimistic anymore. Watching the nightly news tonight, over 17 million jobs lost over the last three weeks, and it looks like several million is going to be added each week until? I know several people myself that lost good paying jobs. A riding buddy of mine is an auditor for the school system, he's fortunate, still has his job but they cut his salary in half and basically told him they didnt know how much longer he'll be around. Many many small businesses & large ones too closed up, many of those wont have the capital to come back. A local farmer in Ruskin cant sell his tomatoes, 60 million pounds rotted on the vines and ruined the guy, and this is being repeated with farmers all over the country. At the same time, food lines a mile long in the major metropolitan areas.

I now long for normalcy, when I can hop on one of the bikes and take a 40 mile ride on a whim. I still get out once or twice a week and take the X300 around the subdivision just to maintain my sanity, but unlike in my first post, not many neighbors in their front yards like before, and they're moods have changed, not many if any waving hello at all anymore. Its sure nice to have the forums to read though, it helps keep my moto-sense going, If I cant ride it, I can read it. Living in hurricane country, I learned a long time ago to be a prepper, so food, fuel, medicines, supplies and the means to protect it are not a problem for us. But we know a couple of people who still cant find basics like toilet paper, milk & bread. If they do find milk and bread, the grocery stores are rationing it to one per customer, causing people to have to go out more often and possibly spreading the virus. Its strange to see this country of decades of excess not have enough to go around. I sure as hell will be glad when its over with, but I dont believe that things will normalize very quickly. One thing for sure, my riding will.

Moto Guzzi Griso 1200, Kawasaki Versys X-300
Harley Super Glide Custom, Honda Metropolitan
zebraranger is offline  
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2020, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator
 
Fastoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ipoh.Perak.Malaysia
Posts: 7,618
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraranger View Post
When I started this thread I remember feeling a little more optimistic about the whole virus thing, but now after being home for almost a month, not as much optimistic anymore. Watching the nightly news tonight, over 17 million jobs lost over the last three weeks, and it looks like several million is going to be added each week until? I know several people myself that lost good paying jobs. A riding buddy of mine is an auditor for the school system, he's fortunate, still has his job but they cut his salary in half and basically told him they didnt know how much longer he'll be around. Many many small businesses & large ones too closed up, many of those wont have the capital to come back. A local farmer in Ruskin cant sell his tomatoes, 60 million pounds rotted on the vines and ruined the guy, and this is being repeated with farmers all over the country. At the same time, food lines a mile long in the major metropolitan areas.

I now long for normalcy, when I can hop on one of the bikes and take a 40 mile ride on a whim. I still get out once or twice a week and take the X300 around the subdivision just to maintain my sanity, but unlike in my first post, not many neighbors in their front yards like before, and they're moods have changed, not many if any waving hello at all anymore. Its sure nice to have the forums to read though, it helps keep my moto-sense going, If I cant ride it, I can read it. Living in hurricane country, I learned a long time ago to be a prepper, so food, fuel, medicines, supplies and the means to protect it are not a problem for us. But we know a couple of people who still cant find basics like toilet paper, milk & bread. If they do find milk and bread, the grocery stores are rationing it to one per customer, causing people to have to go out more often and possibly spreading the virus. Its strange to see this country of decades of excess not have enough to go around. I sure as hell will be glad when its over with, but I dont believe that things will normalize very quickly. One thing for sure, my riding will.
I was in the same frame of mind and a country with just 35million people, was confident that things will get to normal pretty soon but that,s not the case. lock down has been extend for the third time to end of the month. The army has been deployed as the police cant handle the situation . Just can,t manage the situation and I feel the strain on my mental well been. Can,t even go a for walk. When we took life for granted , we are faced with a situation where we have to dig deep to keep our life going. just wish the suffering will end soon.

Can,t talk much to the family as I fear it might upset them , so this forum is my only venue to share my thoughts.

Be safe and take care. God Bless All.
onewizard and ken in regina like this.
Fastoman is offline  
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2020, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator
 
fasteddiecopeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kelowna, BC - summer; Florence, AZ - winter
Posts: 18,760
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
God bless, EVERYONE.


Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fasteddiecopeman is offline  
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2020, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kitchener Ontario
Posts: 8,764
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Stupid @#$&ing pandemic

This thread is closed You disagree contact another Super Mod.



https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...-pandemic.html

For more info go to the above LINK

I am going to post a warning, someone starts up another Covid 19 thread, expect to get a 5 day boot, something like a spa day for 5 days.
Smiley likes this.

Last edited by onewizard; 04-20-2020 at 05:56 PM.
onewizard is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome