Concerns of an older rider - Page 3 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Like Tree31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-07-2020, 01:27 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspringator View Post
I installed a SW Motech crash bar for the purpose of installing highway pegs. I got the heaviest highest rated highway pegs I could find, along with the MotoWerke peg mounting system. The pegs vibrate way too much to use.
For me, highway pegs are a game changer for long days in the saddle. After trying several cheap peg pairs that vibrated wildly I went with the Rivco anti vibration pegs. Wow, dont feel anything with these. These are the real deal for me and worth the money.
I also mounted them to SWMotech without using the clamp to the bar system courtesy of a mod I found here by Quexpress. Very clean and more efficient as far as vibration as well because there would be more vibration at the tube compared to the base....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kawi 2020 right side.jpg (64.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Kawi 2020 left siide.jpg (60.5 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by jaaklucas; 03-07-2020 at 04:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-07-2020, 06:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I've got the Rivco pegs. Got a link to a description of how they are mounted to the SW Motech crash bars?

2017 Versys X300 Russell Sport, Cali Sci windshield, Moto Werk 1" lowering kit

2008 Honda Goldwing Airbag, Madstad windshield, Helibars.
post #43 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-07-2020, 06:50 PM

Found it.

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...66-post13.html

Thanks for the heads up.

EDIT. I don't think this works on the Versys 300.
jaaklucas likes this.

Last edited by jspringator; 03-08-2020 at 08:42 PM.

post #44 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-07-2020, 08:21 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyLee11 View Post
I have both a 15 front tooth gear and a 44 tooth rear. So replace the rear and leave the front alone?
My upgrade list (after gearing change...) in order of importance is:

1. Seat Concepts tall seat
2. Center stand
3. Taller windshield
4. Larger rear rack
5. Luggage racks - I have throw over bags that will work
6. T-rex engine guards
7. Yoshamuri exhaust

That will get me started...
You trying to take away any acceleration the bike may have with that sprocket combination? Will it even have enough power in 6th gear to travel at highway speeds? My '11 Versys hit top speed in 5th gear, not 6th which told me it didn't need a sprocket change that would make it even worse.

When I was considering the Versys 300 I was thinking of going the opposite direction on the sprockets to get some get up and go.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #45 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-08-2020, 08:49 PM

The 15 tooth front with stock rear or stock front with 43 tooth rear works really well for street riding. I can now get through an intersection without shifting! If I was going to ride in some rough stuff I would keep it stock.

post #46 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-11-2020, 06:56 PM

Garage
I have geared up and it suits the bike perfectly. 15/46 or 14/43 will ensure no problems with the ECU/dash fault caused by Kawasaki using the rear wheel rotation sensor (ABS) as the speed input. The only known fix if you wish to gear up further is here https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...t-light-9.html Post #171

The VX300 is a different bike to the 650. Different bike, different engine. If you no longer wish to ride the Interstates (great choice IMO) or hit top speed in 6th gear, the 300 geared up will bring a smile every time you ride it.

2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300; 2010 Suzuki V-Strom 650; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100J
post #47 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-12-2020, 08:52 AM

Garage
Quote:
The 15 tooth front with stock rear or stock front with 43 tooth rear works really well for street riding. I can now get through an intersection without shifting! If I was going to ride in some rough stuff I would keep it stock.
So, you were in jeopardy of hitting redline before getting through an intersection?

When I had my Ninja 250 I tapped into all the power available, all the time, and had a blast on that bike. I don't believe I ever had to shift in the middle of an intersection but I wasn't short shifting 1st like I have done on my large displacement motorcycles.

When I test rode the Versys 300 I realized I didn't want that type of riding experience anymore. I have grown to love torque at low RPMs and a more relaxed riding experience.

My Versys Travels:

post #48 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-13-2020, 09:38 PM

There are times to redline this bike. I've bounced off the rev limiter too many times to count. But the bike is simply geared too low for mostly street riding. It is much smoother when going from full throttle to partial throttle or no throttle. Before it was very jerky in such situations. The stock VX3 is geared lower than the Ninja.

On the one hand you say the bike shouldn't be re-geared, and on the other say you don't like the riding experience of a bike geared so low. You might have liked the VX3 if the one you rode had been modified with 14/43 sprockets.

post #49 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-13-2020, 10:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
There are times to redline this bike. I've bounced off the rev limiter too many times to count. But the bike is simply geared too low for mostly street riding. It is much smoother when going from full throttle to partial throttle or no throttle. Before it was very jerky in such situations. The stock VX3 is geared lower than the Ninja.

On the one hand you say the bike shouldn't be re-geared, and on the other say you don't like the riding experience of a bike geared so low. You might have liked the VX3 if the one you rode had been modified with 14/43 sprockets.
If you are referring to my post above yours, I would want the bike geared lower for more get up and go without having to rev the snot out of it. Dual Sport / Adventure bikes should be geared low. Take a look at Fortnine's video on the Versys 300 and what made it a better dual sport / adventure bike.

See the 9 minute mark for what the Versys can be, although the whole video is cool.

My Versys Travels:

post #50 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-14-2020, 01:34 AM

Garage
Really? Two more teeth added to the rear, 14/48? In the real world surely 6500rpm at 45mph? That would be really relaxing if you wanted to go further than the corner store.
And why would you need to gear it down further for off road use? OEM it is geared like a farm bike. Geared up I am in 3rd about when, on my DL650, I would be thinking about 2nd.

Geared up the X300 is much more suitable for trail riding than my V-Strom with OEM gearing.
Your presenter also fails to mention that if you remove the ABS fuse all sorts of side issues appear - like no speedo, no gear indicator, no odometer or fuel range.

If you wish to disable the ABS for offroad use simply put the bike on the main stand and run it up through the gears for 10 seconds, and the ABS will be disabled - but be back next time you stop and start the engine.

2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300; 2010 Suzuki V-Strom 650; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100J
post #51 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-14-2020, 08:40 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockie View Post
Really? Two more teeth added to the rear, 14/48? In the real world surely 6500rpm at 45mph? That would be really relaxing if you wanted to go further than the corner store.
And why would you need to gear it down further for off road use? OEM it is geared like a farm bike. Geared up I am in 3rd about when, on my DL650, I would be thinking about 2nd.

Geared up the X300 is much more suitable for trail riding than my V-Strom with OEM gearing.
Your presenter also fails to mention that if you remove the ABS fuse all sorts of side issues appear - like no speedo, no gear indicator, no odometer or fuel range.

If you wish to disable the ABS for offroad use simply put the bike on the main stand and run it up through the gears for 10 seconds, and the ABS will be disabled - but be back next time you stop and start the engine.

6500 RPMs sounds about perfect for that little engine. Halfway to the rev limiter sounds like a nice cruising RPM. That's the beauty of these little Ninja engines. They are designed to run at 10,000 RPMs all day long.

My Versys Travels:

post #52 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-14-2020, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
GOOD video - quite enjoyed it!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in