Stator Output / Wiring / Shunt Regulator - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By onewizard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Stator Output / Wiring / Shunt Regulator

Thanks to a new addition on the forum with service manual info. The stator is rated at 21 amp at 14 VDC or 294 watts output, at 5000 RPM. I would expect the stator outputs close to full power around 3500 RPM. The wiring is identical to the Versys 650, KLR 650, Ninja 650 . They go a step further in testing the stator, disconnecting the 3 phase connector and measuring VAC ( volts AC ).

Assume the stator is delta wound and the regulator is a shunt regulator, If anyone is interested in testing your X300 to see if it is a shunt, let me know, very easy if you own a digital meter that can measure VAC. I am going to say the X300 will suffer the same ills as the MK-3 Versys, yes far less stator failures than the MK-2 and MK-1.

Main reason is they moved the delta connection to the rear of the stator and left the cross connections on the front, plus I assume they are using a higher classification of insulation magnet wire. One thing few understand, I brought it up when comparing https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ghlight=stator Rick's, and that is crossover in winding poles, machines can wind a uniform winding, doing it by hand or even using a coil winder, it is very difficult to get a uniform winding, where the magnet wire crosses each other is usually were you get a turn to turn short, many times caused by vibration and movement.

The magnet wire has a coating about 0.0015 of a inch thick , it takes very little to damage this coating. Expansion and contraction caused by heating = movement, the more movement the more wear, thus stator failure. Root cause of stator failure is the shunt regulator these days, at some point in my life, all manufacturers will have upgraded to series regulators and I may be senile by then.

We have reached a stage in electronics were we can make measurements of 30 times or more per second and make adjustments 30 times per second or more, this happens in frequency drives and ABS brakes to name a few. The days of switching SCR's is very old ( 45 years ), I expect to see a PWM 3 phase regulator to come out along with a higher frequency permanent magnet alternator, the higher the frequency, the smaller the copper / coil , also the higher the frequency the less AC ripple. Yes way over most on this forum.Insulated Gate Bipolar Transistors (IGBT), have been around for over 45 years, just never able to handle current greater than 10 amp, now devices are made that can handle in excess of 3000 amp , yes individual devices, and yes a SCR last time I checked was around $600 , The offer stands as to testing to see if it is a shunt regulator.
Vincenzo Campisi likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode