Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Which seat??

15K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  ATYC 
#1 ·
I have a 2015 650 and after riding it for more than an hour I feel like I am riding my balls like a Hippity Hop. It is super uncomfortable. What seat would you guys recommend? I am about 5'10" with a 30" inseam and I don't have much of a butt. I have lowered the bike already too if that makes any difference.

#2 ·
I've always found the stock seat ok but recently I added a couple of washers to the seat hold down latch base bolts, which raised it slightly in the front and it made a nice difference. I think there's a couple of threads about guys buying longer bolts and adding several washers to raise the front. It's an inexpensive first step that may work and if not you can still move to an aftermarket seat.

#5 ·
The problem I've noticed is the forward tilt of the seat. I slide forward sometimes, getting that smashed junk feeling. Also it causes me to lean more into the handlebars, putting more weight onto my arms. Raising the nose of the seat would level it more, (but also raise the seat height a little bit). As a cheap experiment it is probably worth trying. If it works, maybe then go for a seat mod.

#4 ·
I've found the same issue with my '15. When the seat is cold everything is fine. After a few minutes it softens up, and there is a forward tilt to it. I'm 5'10", 155 lbs.

Seat Concepts has a kit to replace the foam. http://seatconcepts.com/products#!/Kawasaki-Versys/p/8826177/category=1671354 They'll install it for you for another $20 plus shipping. The kit gets good reviews from members here.

Another pricier option is the Baldwin seat. Also gets rave reviews on this site. http://www.motorbikesaddles.com/Kawasaki Versys Seats.htm

A third option would be to mod the seat yourself. Add a bit of foam to the front of the seat to raise it. Perhaps cut some foam away from the back of where you sit to lower it. Wondergel makes a gel pad with small pillars (I think it is called collapsible pillar) which are supposed to be very comfortable plus absorbs vibration. Smaller pillars are better. This one looks pretty good to me: https://wondergel.com/index.php/seat-cushions/wondergel-roll-n-go-seat-cushion-no-cover.html . Another gel pad which has gotten good reviews online is Conformax https://onlygel.com/index.php/motor...el-motorcycle-gel-seat-pad-combo-set-240.html

Modding the seat oneself looks pretty simple. Use a sharp knife to cut away the factory foam, then install the new gel or foam to the shape you want. Staple the cover back on to the seat pan.

#6 ·
Sounds familiar. I'm 5' 10" with a 29" inseam and not much of a butt - it all migrated around to the front of my body!
My current saddle is a Corbin and it suits my backside very well. I can ride several hours before having to stop and then it's usually because of overall stiffness that comes with advanced age.
Though I've not tried one, I've seen several Seat Concepts saddles and they appear very impressive, especially for the cost. If I had it to do over again, I'd most likely go with Seat Concepts.

#8 ·
Here we go again. I to don't care for the stock seat. I tried a Sargent's seat first. Didn't like it. Everyone said try a Seat Concepts so I got one and installed it. Much better. Maybe not perfect but I can ride much farther now. The seat was the only thing that I didn't like on the Versys. Other than that the bike dose everything well. O ya, I am 5-10 and 210lbs inseam 30".
870Buz

#11 ·
It wasn't all that bad to do. I have a compressor so I bought a staple gun and spray on contact cement and went for it. Seat Concepts has a video on line that shows how to do it. I would do it again without even thinking a bought it. First time was a little apprehensive but doable. It was a lot cheaper than the others $169.00 +$20 shipping. Not $429.00 + shipping.
Good luck.
870Buz

#14 ·
Having just installed the Seat Concepts on my '14 I concur with the ease of installation. Just be sure that you have a pneumatic stapler. I knew that my hand stapler wouldn't work, but I tried an electric one and the seat material just laughed at it. Like many other people, I just got the cheap Harbor Freight pneumatic stapler and it worked great. The only caveat is to take your time and make sure that you've got the stapler AND the seat cover material firmly in place before stapling. I put a couple of staples clear through the cover material, but hey- the holes are under the seat and I'm the only one who knows they're there.

#12 ·
I've got the Sargent. 2nd bike I've put a Sargent on, and it's a world of difference.
The upside is, you have 30 days to return it, if it doesn't work for you. But, my idea of a great seat, is one you don't even notice when you ride... which this does. No more sliding into the tank, no more compressed junk, no more sore ass...
It just works...

#21 ·
I know that a 2013 stock seat will fit on a 2015 as I tried one before I bought my Sargent. The 2015 seat doesn't have the steel hooks underneath like the Gen 1 and Gen 2 but you don't need them. The Sargent I bought was off a Gen 2. Don't know for sure on the Gen 1.:thumb:

#20 ·
I was lucky to get a used Sargent and I like it a lot. It took some miles before it broke into my butt. If I didn't get this I would have gone with the Seat Concepts. I have an electric stapler that I have used on other seats and it works good if you use it correctly with short staples. I've had to tap a few staples further in if I didn't have what I was stapling backed up firmly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.