Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

2010 Versys..

3K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  kiwi 41 
#1 ·
Hello, I just joined because I'm considering a new Versys and I'd like some input from current owners.

I've been riding for 20+ years and have owned everything from motards to full on 160+ hp race replica's. Currently I own a 08 Husqvarna 610sm, 03 Honda VFR800 and a 01 RC51. Just last year I also owned a 06 Kawi 10R and 08 CBR1000RR but they are now gone and I'm done with sportbikes. I'm 6' 1" tall, 215 lbs. and pushing 40 y/o but I still like to ride aggressive in the twisties. I run a fast intermediate pace on the track. Now that you know what I ride and how I ride, maybe you can help me with my question.

I test rode a 2010 Versys today and I was very surprised. It felt much better than I expected and I'm now considering trading my VFR for it. I also plan on selling the RC51 very soon and having only 2 bikes in the stable. The Husky for short mountain rides and track days and the second bike will need cover most of my street use (commuting, touring, and spirited sport rides). Right now I know the VFR can handle the job but it's got a few quirks that I'm kinda tired of (Heat issue, elec. gremlins and linked brakes) and it also is getting old with over 25,000 miles on it. I know it's good for another 25,000 miles but if I can find a replacement that is new for under $10g's, I'd be very interested. The price of the Versys is excellent and I think it meets my needs with maybe one exception.. that being a lack of power. During my test ride the bike felt like it had decent power but still not as much as my VFR. Kind of reminded me of my 02 SV650 I owned a few years back. I guess my question is, will the Versys have enough power to keep a rider like myself happy or will I miss the power of my VFR? For those of you that don't know the VFR, it's heavy and only makes around 100 hp to the wheel so it's no power moster either. It does have excellent torque and very usable street power though. I no longer need to go more than 100mph on the street but I still like to accelerate hard and keep up with some bigger HP bikes in the twisties. The VFR will keep up just fine but I'm not so sure about the Versys.?? Also.. the suspension and brakes on the Versys. Are they up to the task of handling a spirited pace with a rider of my size??

Any input wuld be appreciated and if I end up buying a new Versys, I will try to contribute whatever I can back to this forum.:thumb:

Thanks, Sharky

See less See more
#4 ·
If you're a speed/power guy, I think you'll be disappointed in the Versys. If the SV650 didn't do it, I doubt the Versys will either. Don't get me wrong, the Versys is peppy, but it's no powerhouse. You rode it, what do you think? It won't get any more powerful, and I'm not trying to be a smarty pants, just realistic...

#5 ·
Hi Sharky, agree with Bear, the V may dissapoint if you compare the bikes you have had but I have taken my V on full sized international track for a advanced training day and had no hope of keeping up with GSXr 1000cc on back straight but following these bikes throught the tight twisty nature of the track my little orange v did not disgrace itself as was able to keep on their tail through the hairpins and acute corners. It is in its element on tight twisty roads and will give any of the superior so to speak sports bike a run for their money in these conditions, big long straights, hmmm I cannot get 250km/hr plus out of her so will just practice cornering.

All the best on what you decide, Phil

#6 ·
I thought is was pretty good. Felt like it had more but I wasn't able to really get on it. I felt like it wanted to be rev'd out but I was being lead by someone for the test ride so I couldn't. I expected it to feel more like a v-twin but it didn't. It was different.. I loved my SV650 and I'm not a "speed/power" guy.. Some of my favorite bikes have been some of the slowest bikes I've owned. My favorite to date was my 2007 Superduke. A close second would be my Husky 610sm.. Like I said, I don't really need to go over 100mph anymore but I don't want an under powered bike either. What does the Versys make to the wheel? I've found stuff that says around 60 rwhp is average. That's the part that concerns me.. I'm wondering if maybe it felt good when I rode it because it was snappy off the bottom end and then runs out of guts once it's above 7 grand.. Maybe I'll just go ride another one and hope I can go alone on the test ride. I understand it's hard for anyone to decide for me but I was hoping some of you could at least tell me what bikes you've owned and how you feel about the Versys?? Is there anything you don't like about it?? Can you still run through the twisties with the big boys??

#7 ·
I understand it's hard for anyone to decide for me but I was hoping some of you could at least tell me what bikes you've owned and how you feel about the Versys?? Is there anything you don't like about it?? Can you still run through the twisties with the big boys??
Have not had a long list of bikes like a lot of these guys and have only got back into bikes recently, my previuos bike was a 02 650 GS but the twin of the V blow that out of the water. Some of the guys that have owned more bikes will give you a better comparison but i ride with all sorts of bikes and the V mostly ends up at front of pack especially on tight twisty runs much to the horror of my wife who rides her crusier or the truck as I call it a C50T and she brings up the rear of a large group and I get the look for leaving her but she is only teasing she knows my mighty v needs to take off.

Not much up on power outputs but i know that the bike is amazing around the 80km/hr to 120km/hr range which is perfect power for twisties in NZ

#8 · (Edited)
I was in a similar boat to you. I started with a 550 Zephyr, RF600, SV650 and then moved from that to a DL1000 and then an ST1300. When I went to my first bigger, faster bike (V-STROM), I was amazed at how easy it was to travel at a high rate of speed. Passing and squirting between corners was cake. The ST1300 was especially good at travel WAY above the speed limit with a passenger.

Now the big bikes are gone and I have a '10 versys. The Versys, while having much more torque lower in the rev range than the SV650, doesn't really have the same sense of "force" as the liter bikes. The ST1300 felt like it was idling at 80 mph where the Versys feels like it's running pretty hard. This is not a bad thing, just different. I think this will allow one to travel at a more scenic, "connected" speed. This in no way means you will slow down in the corners........remember, IT DOESN'T TAKE HORSEPOWER TO GO AROUND A CORNER FAST.

To summerize: No one can decide for you if you will miss the torque and HP, you just have to try it and see. I haven't even decided myself if I miss it........I'll let you know in about 20k miles.

#9 ·
Just got a 2009 Versys today. I lost my Buell 1125CR to a recent flood. The Versys has half the power, weighs 70lbs more, and has a higher center of gravity and a steeper rake than my Buell. Technically, it should pale in comparison, but when I rode it, it's was surprising how well it represents itself. Anything under about 85 or 90mph and it's quick.

The thing is FUN, FUN, FUN to ride. Even going slow. Seems like fast bikes are only fun when they are going fast. The Versys is fun all around.

#11 · (Edited)
Here is my dilemma. Here in Colorado Springs, Colorado, the 2009 costs US $4949 at a dealership about 45 minutes away. I did not have a chance to talk to them about any other fees, but I am hoping that there is nothing more than a $60-$100 document fee. My preferred dealership told me that the 2010 is probably going to go for $7200. That comes down to $2200 for the new styling, vibration, mirrors, etc. $2200 would buy some sweet accessories. The only thing that I really want from the 2010 is the footpegs and rear rubber engine mounts. Can anyone point me to an after market footpegs and mounts? Or, if you have a 2010 and rode a 2009, let me know if the extra cost is worth it. Thanks!!

#12 ·
The Versys is a good bike; I don't regret my purchase one bit. A couple of turns of phrase in your post make me think you might, specifically in stating that the VFR has only 100 hp. From that frame of reference, the V is very likely to feel underpowered.

Some context for my POV: The most powerful bike I've ridden is the Street Triple, at about the same output as the VFR but much lighter. The handling character between the ST3 and the V is very similar (to my inexperienced butt), so the difference in power was that much more noticable, and somewhat startling. If you think you can get used to the rollback, go for it; it's a very good machine. I personally get the feeling you'll be looking for more thrust in fairly short order, though.

#13 ·
I am coming to the V from an 1125CR Buell. 145hp at the crank. It would jerk your arms out of their sockets when you lit the fuse. It was fast.

The thing is, I older, wiser, and too damn responsible to ride like a 20yo on the street. I do that stuff on the racetrack. On the street, that 145hp was hard to restrain. I found myself either sneaking up into triple digit range without knowing, or concentrating on holding all that power back. Get into traffic and try to ride at 25 or 30mph and it was miserable.

The Versys will enter corners with plenty of steam. Coming out it's a lot slower. You have to keep it wound up pretty good.

I think the power it adequate. Another 30hp would do wonders, but it is what it is. A great all around fun to ride bike. I'll pick up a sport bike for the track and ride the Versys semi sanely on the street.

#14 ·
I'm 6' 1" tall, 215 lbs. and pushing 40 y/o but I still like to ride aggressive in the twisties. I run a fast intermediate pace on the track. Now that you know what I ride and how I ride, maybe you can help me with my question.

You are pushing 40 now and have been riding for 20 years. My guess is that its about time you get a bike with a steady ride, sometime fast but not as fast as a superbike. Something to go on long tours and something to handle the twisters and all under 10K. Well the V maybe your answers but its has got its limitations.
Take another test ride and decide for yourself as you need to like the bike to ride it.

Keep looking up the pages in this foruma nd maybe you might just like the V for what it is.

:goodluck:

#15 ·
I'm 6'5, 235lbs, and pushing 40 myself (38).

I rode it about 300 miles today and just grinned ear to ear. Keep the little engine spinning hard and you'll be rewarded. Ride it more like an inline than a twin. Don't short shift it unless you are wanting to loaf. Downshift once or twice before entering a turn and when you hit the apex pin the throttle. It will surprise you how well it squirts out of a turn without giving you any worries of spinning up the rear.

I put it thought it's paces today and I am amazed that such and inexpensive bike behaves so well. It's got it's shortcomings, but they are pretty minor. Even the budget suspension does pretty well. Still have to do some damping adjustment to the front, it is "pogoing" on me a bit, but that's because I'm braking deep in the turns. If I rode it more sedately, it would be fine.

I simply can't find much fault in the bike. It's really an anomaly. Works better than it should.

#16 ·
sharky i bet that in the track you will go faster with versys than the husky you have....the cornering depends on the driver though but you know that better.versys geometry is a bit of a motard,if you make it a bit lighter and have the suspension fixed for your weight and style you will love it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.