Spam - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Verticalscope Forum Support / Help (Kawasakiversys.com) Questions about forum functionality or suggestions for improvement. Need help finding what you're looking for? Let us know here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

Spam

Out of all the forums i regular this one gets 3x the amount of spam? is there a way to step up our filters?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 09:01 AM

Garage
I don't get any spam from here

How do you know that it is from this site - I only use 'bigaussie' on cycling (motor and bicycling) forums and I don't get any spam.

I am guessing you have been compromised elsewhere.

I see occasional posts for phones, etc which I report using the triangle up the right corner of the post.

Cheers

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people don’t have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

That's what i'm talking about, there is about 4 or 5 post per day on phones or computers or some other junk for sale.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 10:38 AM

Yes, this forum has more spam than any others I frequent. I don't understand it ... it's pretty annoying.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 07:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by objectuser View Post
I don't understand it ...
It is because anybody can join and post immediately - which i think is a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by objectuser View Post
I don't understand it ... it's pretty annoying.
Do you report the spam as soon as you see it?

It only take a few seconds and the moderators are very good at cleaning it up.

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people don’t have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

7 new spam threads today, maybe this site needs a capta sign in when your a new member or something.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigaussie View Post
It is because anybody can join and post immediately - which i think is a good thing.

Do you report the spam as soon as you see it?

It only take a few seconds and the moderators are very good at cleaning it up.
I did for the first several weeks. Then I got tired of it because it didn't seem to help.

Other forums I use allowed me to post after a quick verification. And they don't have spam. So I think there are better ways.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

You guys think you get annoyed, try playing moderator. The spam is not near as bad as it was, but it is annoying. A few months back, maybe a year, most of my time on the forum was spent banning spammers. I got to the point I hated coming here. Site owners manipulated the filter thingy/sign in thingy & it got a lot better. I admit, however, it seems to be sliding back that way. Not sure what's going on, if the spammers are getting better, or our system isn't good enough. Hopefully the powers that be are working it. We get a lot of reports from you guys every day, which is great. So lets keep our fingers crossed, maybe things will get better soon....

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 04:34 PM
naz

just put a filter with some words like apple,iphone,30 gb ram,unlock phones,etch and suspend the posts till you approve it.i know playing moderator is not an easy task and congrats for being a good one

Last edited by naz; 07-04-2010 at 05:46 PM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post
You guys think you get annoyed, try playing moderator. The spam is not near as bad as it was, but it is annoying. A few months back, maybe a year, most of my time on the forum was spent banning spammers. I got to the point I hated coming here. Site owners manipulated the filter thingy/sign in thingy & it got a lot better. I admit, however, it seems to be sliding back that way. Not sure what's going on, if the spammers are getting better, or our system isn't good enough. Hopefully the powers that be are working it. We get a lot of reports from you guys every day, which is great. So lets keep our fingers crossed, maybe things will get better soon....
I just want to say thank you for what you do here.

"The things you own end up owning you." - Tyler Durden

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 06:51 PM

Is akismet enabled on this website? That should at the very least stop repeat offenders. There are also a couple of good spammer catchers for vBulletin. I'm not sure what kind of administrator access is available being the software is ran by motorcycle.com, but if you are able to install plug-ins, look into it.

Jon Campbell

Motorcycle Sport Touring Association

STAR 2012 - Avon, Colorado

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothercannon View Post
I just want to say thank you for what you do here.

No need to thank me, I don't really do that much. I'm just a hang around with the power to ban. The gratitude should be directed toward our members, our site admin & the guy who started this site. They're two different people by the way. In fact the originator didn't even OWN a Versys. He saw an opportunity & jumped on it, and like many American dreams, it paid off for him. He's long since sold the site & moved on.

But thanks for thanking me. I do appreciate it. This site is very easy to govern as far as members go. Most everyone behaves themselves, contributes & keeps things smooth by doing so. So I don't really deserve any kind of credit for that. You guys do...

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 02:11 AM
Super Moderator

AT the speed IT is moving today, Spam is just part of the game and I am used to it. Don,t open , don't read.

anyway thanks to one and all and I do enjoy the site.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 02:14 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
your doing a good job Bear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode