Cheap & Easy way to get a leg over the seat - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Verticalscope Forum Support / Help (Kawasakiversys.com) Questions about forum functionality or suggestions for improvement. Need help finding what you're looking for? Let us know here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Cheap & Easy way to get a leg over the seat

Wound up doing the splits months back and at the time my weight was 345. Fat guys don't bend like that. Couldn't even get leg over the seat when i bought the bike in January. Now i'm able to get it over but foot still hits the seat so with the tail bag it really sucks to get on the bike. Thought of different things to help but here's somethig simple and cheap. A lawn mower tire from tractor supply $4.99 a little hardware and a couple of straps from a few bags from the past. Going to add another tire to make it even easier.Was thinking about a block of wood and an eye screw but wood splinters.Lay it down get on the bike pull it up put in bag or jacket and go. heres a photo if anyone in the same boat as me

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 04-29-2010 at 09:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 08:28 PM

Pretty creative Wel...I have the same tailbag, but not your figure and its always in the way of a traditional leg over...So I do it Roy Rogers style...Left foot on the left peg, kind of facing backwards and up and over with the right...Yeehaa...

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yea I'm 275lbs now and have used the peg to stand on. But i'm concerned with putting the weight on the kick stand. If it will take the weight i'd rather do that but don't want to have the kick stand go out while i'm standing on the peg.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Last edited by weljo2001; 04-09-2010 at 05:41 AM.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by contractor View Post
I do it Roy Rogers style...Left foot on the left peg, kind of facing backwards and up and over with the right...Yeehaa...
I prefer the Lone Ranger approach. Run up from behind... both hands on its rump.. and leap into the saddle!

Now if I could only get it to come a runnin’ when I whistle

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 05:32 AM

The peg will handle 450 lbs. The kickstand is good for the weight, but the foot is too small for anything other than concrete. Get Speedy's Flatfoot attachment.

pegrider

"It is the journey, in the end."
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 05:39 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Peg Rider, I just put Speedy's Flat Foot on last week. So i'll just start playing cowboy to mount the bike

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 06:25 AM

Send a message via AIM to E-nigma
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegrider View Post
The peg will handle 450 lbs.
Is this statistic documented somewhere?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 07:22 AM

I don't know right from wrong, but I have both tank and tailbag. I just lift the right leg and put it straight through from the left side of the bike, pivoting on the left foot, and sitting down.

Jsquared
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 08:57 AM

One word...yoga. Fat guys (and I am one) can bend safely in all sorts of unexpected ways with just a little bit of work on flexibility. That and some core muscle work and you are less likely to suffer injury in the event of an unexpected flexibility test.

I went down HARD in 2006 and did a level 3 rupture of my right hamstring group and some interesting damage to my right hip which eventually will need surgery. Did four months of PT during which flexibility and core strengthening were emphasized above everything else. Made a HUGE difference.

I'd use the Lone Ranger mount but I'm afraid of scratching my tank.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware View Post
I prefer the Lone Ranger approach. Run up from behind... both hands on its rump.. and leap into the saddle!

Now if I could only get it to come a runnin’ when I whistle

My Album:
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I do stretch i'm a 2nd degree black belt Sin Moo Hapkido. Thats the only reason i can get my leg up as high as i can right now. When i went down something popped in my right hip and lower back. Been stretching and getting massage's.It's better but one of those injuries that takes time. Don't care for doctors but might have to go one day to be safe.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 07:43 PM

E-nigma, the shear rating on the peg pin is 3100 lbs, based on 40 kps steel. Safety factor of 6.9. The shear/ductile rating on the peg mounting rings is 1800 lbs, based on 25 kps alloy. Safety factor of 4.0. Speedy rates his CNC aluminum peg lowering unit at a carrying capacity of 450 lbs, based on 25 kps tensile rating, same as the foot peg alloy.

pegrider

"It is the journey, in the end."
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 06:27 AM

What bag is that on the back seat?

Thanks
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 07:12 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Hello hdatontodo It a cortech tail bag. It attaches easy has built in bungies straps hook mine to each other under the seat so you can take seat and bag off togeather. Well built roomy and i like the looks on the Versys. It's less than $70.00 at the link below.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...t-Tailbag.aspx

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Last edited by weljo2001; 04-29-2010 at 09:59 PM.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 08:56 PM

I have the GIVI hard cases and it took me some practice but I grab the left grip with my left hand and with my right hand reach down a grab my ankle and swing it over. Works for me.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 09:41 PM

Givi v46

Weljo2001, that is the exact case I'm thinking of getting. Penny for your thoughts. Is it big enough for you? Does it affect the handling at highway speeds a lot? Does it hamper you upon mounting or dismounting the bike?
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
It holds plenty. I can get an XL Scorpion EXO-900 helmet plus an 3XL one piece field sheer rain suit, gloves and still has room. The scorpion helmet is rather large. As far as handling you don't even know its there. Doesn't get in the way of getting on the bike at all. Below is a link Great Service and Prices

http://www.sporttour.com/

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode