Givi 35s bag removal - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Verticalscope Forum Support / Help (Kawasakiversys.com) Questions about forum functionality or suggestions for improvement. Need help finding what you're looking for? Let us know here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 12:54 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Question Givi 35s bag removal

One of my bags, right side, is almost impossible to remove. I've tried greasing the mount block and the bag latch, no change. I've taken the mount apart and tried shimming it, no go. I'm thinking of using a dremel to bevel the catch block on the mount so that the bag latch can slide off easier, it seems to be too tight causing it to bind. Damn I'd hate to mess it up, those mounts aren't cheap! Anyone have a similar problem and did you fix it?
Thanks for any help.
Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 11:26 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
One of my bags, right side, is almost impossible to remove. I've tried greasing the mount block and the bag latch, no change. I've taken the mount apart and tried shimming it, no go. I'm thinking of using a dremel to bevel the catch block on the mount so that the bag latch can slide off easier, it seems to be too tight causing it to bind. Damn I'd hate to mess it up, those mounts aren't cheap! Anyone have a similar problem and did you fix it?
Thanks for any help.
Nick
I have no solution to offer, but a question
Is the mount Givi also or another brand (I have the Givi kit but not on the bike so far and maybe I'll have to be extra carefull when time comes to put it on) ?

Hope you find a fast and good solution

LOP
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Yes it is the Givi mount and Bags. Bought and installed on the bike by dealer. They have been helpful but no solution yet. Haven't explored warrantee options yet. Will NOT grind on mount until I check with Givi's answer to problem.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 04:33 PM

I have the same problem. I forget which side is hard to remove. I also have the Givi racks as well. I just push down or pull up on the bag when I'm trying to remove it and eventually it comes off. I did notice that the bag that sticks also touches the rack in a spot where it shouldn't and it has rubbed off the paint leaving me with a small rust spot I must take care of. I'm guessing the rack was either malformed when I got it or it warped somehow after installation, which could cause the problems with the bag not unlatching easily. I've never laid down or dropped the V that isn't a reason why the bag touches the rack.

If you can find someone else that has V35 racks try putting you V35 with the latch problem on their rack. That should help you determine if it is the bag or the rack that is causing the problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The things you own end up owning you." - Tyler Durden

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 06:45 PM

I had the same problem with BOTH sides after a long ride with some dirt roads.

My solution was take them to work and clean the locking mechanisms with our high-pressure power washer with hot soapy water.

They work like new again. Crap gets in there very easy.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 08:45 PM

I am currently going through the same issue. I'm curious, the one I'm having trouble with is the right side (brake side). What side are you guys having trouble with? My problem seems to be with the latch on the bag. The button does not seem to depress as much at the other. I have it back with the dealer now. Will pick it up this weekend and post the results. Did any of you install the bags yourself?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 09:28 PM

I installed the bags myself. I'd go check which side it is but my bike is put away for the winter.

"The things you own end up owning you." - Tyler Durden

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

It's the right side also.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 09:34 PM

Well, I think we definitely have a trend here.

brothercannon,
Was your left turn signal wiring too short to connect back to the wiring harness? Mine was about 4 inches short.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 09:54 PM

mine were tough to get off too. I just worked at it and can get them off. The more i put them on and off the easier it gets.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 09:48 AM

I had the same problem until I got tired of almot breaking my thumb every time I removed the bags.
I finally sprayed some silicon lubricant on and inside the locking mechanism and now they come off smooth as silk. I have had to re-lube it once since. I would suggest doing this as frequently as lubing the chain.
I use Dupont teflon lube on the chain and it works great on the luggage latches also. It dries quickly so it doesn't attract dirt.
Will post pics if interested.
John
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydenkd View Post
Well, I think we definitely have a trend here.

brothercannon,
Was your left turn signal wiring too short to connect back to the wiring harness? Mine was about 4 inches short.
I have no problem with removal but did have to extend the left turn signal wiring.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode