User Titles - Feedback Needed! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Verticalscope Forum Support / Help (Kawasakiversys.com) Questions about forum functionality or suggestions for improvement. Need help finding what you're looking for? Let us know here!

View Poll Results: User Titles - Keep em or Ditch em
Keep Em 9 27.27%
Ditch Em (Only use special titles for mods/admins) 12 36.36%
Do Whatever you want with em! 12 36.36%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 02:21 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
User Titles - Feedback Needed!

EDIT: Poll added to this thread. Please VOTE

A few members have asked about the current user titles meant so I thought I'd make a post about them to explain. Right now their are 3 different user titles a user can have and they are based on post counts:
Junior Member - 1-29 posts
Member - 30-99 posts
Senior Member - 100+ posts

These titles are the default titles that are assigned by the forum software. I was thinking of changing them as follows but I wanted to get everyone's feedback first to make sure they're not too corny... Here goes:

Hang Around - 10 posts
Prospect - 25 posts
Senior Rider - 50 posts
Road Captain - 100 posts
Road Master - 200 posts
Road Warrior - 500 posts
Outstanding KVF Member - 750 posts
Elite KVF Member - 1000 posts
Ultimate KVF Member - 1500 posts
Extreme KVF Member - 2500 posts
Big Kahuna KVF Member - 5000 posts

Would love to hear suggestions that you guys might have...

Thanks,
-Ralph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 02:52 AM

What ever you choose to do is fine with me. Personally, I don't place any significance to the titles except ADMIN or MOD.

I'm more concerned with the number of posts a person has and the content of their posts. Unfortunately too many people on forums, just "bump" or "right on" etc. I'd like to see more "meat" in a person's posts. Thats my opinion.

Red
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 03:18 AM

It's really up to you, I don't mind whatever they are.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 03:26 AM
Bob

On a 4x4 forum I belong to there was a similar discussion a long time ago. But originated from something else

Some members took offense at being rated for their amounts of posts rather than the value of their input, and some high posters were acting condescending against junior members (But like Red says, just because you can "bump" 150 times doesn't make your input weigh more than anyone elses).

So very diplomatically it was decided that everyone would be a "Member" with the exception of the admin and moderators. You still see people congratulating others on their number of posts reached, but it has less of an ego thing attached to it.

Personally, I don't really care where I sit in the rankings, I'm here to see what other V riders are experiencing or doing, not to be the highest poster. I'm on the forum alot, but only post when I really think I can add my 2c worth

So, Ralph, it's all good by me if you want to change it like that

And if a year down the line some yob who joined the day before and commented "That is awesome" 500 times in one night on all the threads to raise their status calls me a newbie looser when I comment on something.... well... no skin off my nose, my join date and login activity will kick their a$$ every time

08' Diablo Black Kawasaki Verys
98' 3.0L V6 Colt Rodeo D/C (Engine rebuilt, Body lift, Monroe Shocks, 32" Wrangler MTR's, GME GX300)

Work hard, play harder. --Bob
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 08:57 AM

I agree with the other posts on this subject about the name being up to admin. They are fine choices.

Bob, I agree with you on the fact that having ranking can promote some people to act condescending to each other, which I do not feel is the case in this forum or I have amissed a few post.
But the congratualtions on higher status I think need to be recognized since often these poster are the people giving the good advice, experience and bringing the subjects that we like to read about (I do not count myself in that category, I'm more in the 2 cents category). Therefore worth giving them a little path on the back since it does take some time to post and often do the testing and research (again most of it is done on the bike, soo)

The one think missing might actually be a moderator or 2 as this site approaches the 1000 member mark and I think there are some good candidates already.

Anyway, that was again my 2 cents...
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 11:58 AM

QUOTE: "These titles are the default titles that are assigned by the forum software. I was thinking of changing them as follows but I wanted to get everyone's feedback first to make sure they're not too corny... Here goes:

Hang Around - 10 posts
Prospect - 25 posts
Senior Rider - 50 posts
Road Captain - 100 posts
Road Master - 200 posts
Road Warrior - 500 posts
Big Kahuna KVF Member - 5000 posts" UNQUOTE

My two cents: They sound very corny. I think those who are on the forum for any length of time recognize who's a 'big kahuna' and who is a 'hang around', not so much by the number of times they've posted but by the content of their posts.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 01:39 PM

I belong to another very similarly structured forum for Nikon camera enthusiasts, except that forum has a membership fee structure of silver, gold and platinum. I have found that the people with "Platinum Member" next to their name have not only made a larger financial committment, they are also frequently the ones with the most posts and are the most helpful and knowledgable. I'm not saying to start charging fees, just making the correlation between number of posts and quality of member. I think that correlation exists.

So I like your proposed plan.

Jeff
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback guys! Some very good points made!

I couldn't agree more that quality of posts should be a more "important" factor to decide on user titles BUT it's not an option in the forum software (as far as I know). I think for the most part the user titles should be a pretty good indicator as to who the "regular" members are, especially to newbies and lurkers...

The forum software does have a reputation system which I will be looking into implementing shortly but I don't believe it has anything to do with user titles.

I'm going to implement the user titles as mentioned above for the time being and for those who feel they are too corny just bear with us as we're open to changing them at some point as new suggestions come in. :-)

Hang Around - 10 posts
Prospect - 25 posts
Senior Rider - 50 posts
Road Captain - 100 posts
Road Master - 200 posts
Road Warrior - 500 posts
Big Kahuna KVF Member - 5000 posts"
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 03:18 PM

I agree with Bob.

The names don't mean anything. Why shouldn't we all be the same? Have Admins and Mods and Members. Why create a class system if we don't need to?

To be fair, it's not something I look at anyway. I've been on forums where it's spiralled out of control (i.e - people being dismissive of others due to their forum rank, people making useless posts to increase their count, etc).

That said, if you're going to do it, I do like the names you've chosen.

EDIT: I'm a bit slow today.

Last edited by hugerider; 07-10-2008 at 03:19 PM. Reason: I'm just slow.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugerider View Post
I've been on forums where it's spiralled out of control (i.e - people being dismissive of others due to their forum rank, people making useless posts to increase their count, etc).
Members being "dismissive" will certainly not be tolerated and that goes for whether they're being dismissive to a newbie or to a regular member. We'll see how it goes...
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

I added a poll to this thread giving everyone a chance to vote as to whether to keep the titles or not. Please go ahead and vote your opinion
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

Arrow

Personally, I don't have a problem with titles, but if they are used, I would like to see humorous titles instead. I like people who don't take themselves too serious. Like others have said, I've seen many examples of "power/title gone to the head" syndrome.

Sometimes my wife allows me to believe I'm important & in charge. Then, just when my chest is all swollen with "I'm the boss around here", she makes me do the dishes or iron her clothes or something (I really hate when she sends me to the store for feminine products)...

I'm also fine with just having 'members', 'mods' & 'admin'...

P.S. I think the newer titles are a bit corny as well...

Last edited by Bear on a bicycle; 07-10-2008 at 06:05 PM.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 08:10 PM

Here is an excellent opportunity to show some humor.
New Member- 10 posts
Squid - 25 posts
Squid Squadron Commander - 50 posts
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 10:39 PM

I think they are silly. Any title bestowed upon a member based on their number of posts seems about as valuable as serving beer in a collender.

I'm more apt to take the advice of a poster if they have shown, over time, that they provide good information.

Don
"ride more, worry less"
2005 Suzuki GSXR1000 (slightly bent) - Track
2000 Honda VFR800 - Street
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 09:08 AM

On the other forums I'm on, we add our own user titles...

Graham

To do is to be. -Descartes
To be is to do. -Voltaire
Do be do be do. -Frank Sinatra

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

States I've ridden in so far

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
On the other forums I'm on, we add our own user titles...
x2, maybe once you hit XXX number of posts you can make your own title?
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 07:35 PM

Another forum that I belong to (thumpertalk) allows other members to rate your posts for useful content or validity to a topic. Makes it kind of nice to know your not just a "that's cooler" and people appreciate the input that you give.

Japanese scientists have created a camera with such a fast shutter speed they now can photograph a woman with her mouth shut.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 08:51 PM

IMHO, untill this thread was stared I never payed any attention to how many posts I, or anyone else, had. Doesn't seem to be very important. Content is a different story. Now, lets see how many posts I have now

post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback guys! I went ahead and reset the user titles to "Member" for everyone...
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 12:07 AM
Super Moderator

Ah man!! I was winning too!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode