horn instalation....info please - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Verticalscope Forum Support / Help (Kawasakiversys.com) Questions about forum functionality or suggestions for improvement. Need help finding what you're looking for? Let us know here!

1Likes
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 12:43 AM Thread Starter

horn instalation....info please

After way to many close calls I want to install a Steble horn. Looking for info on what I will need for installation. Im not mechanically inclined and will have my local shop do it for me....but I want to make sure I have all the parts needed. Besides the horn...is there a wiring kit ? Anything else? Also any ideas on the best spot for installing the horn. Thanks for any help you can give...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 01:29 AM

depends on so many things
the Stebel (Nautilus) horn must be fitted vertically
you can separate the air compressor from the horn element
there is a relay supplied with the horn, but its seems to have a dodgy reputation.
I think the horn shouldn't be forward facing if there is a risk of water being driven into the horn through the air outlets at the base of the horn

I mounted my horn behind the left hand takn panel, ground off the bracket, the with judicious use of cable ties, rubber panels glued to the tank..

you can fix your own horn if you want. the only gotcha is the OEM horn is 'hot' ie the circuit is always powered and the horn switch grounds the circuit to make the horn sound. relays are easy enough to fit, assuming you have a crimp tool, some crimps, some wire or suitable size.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator

Here're some pics of my install: I used the Harbor Freight Wolo Bad Boy horn (a twin to the Stebel Nautilus , visually and aurally). I bent up a piece of steel used as a support for a shelf (first couple of pics show a 1/8" steel piece I tried, but it started a fracture when I "cold" bent it), then added a piece of (yellow) sleeping matt foam to protect the tank paint. It's under the left side 'fairing' panel as others have done. I attached the relay where the stock, crappy horn was attached, last 2 pics. Hope this is clear for everyone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03568.jpg (833.3 KB, 440 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03570.jpg (682.4 KB, 225 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03572.jpg (623.3 KB, 413 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03573.jpg (648.0 KB, 432 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03575.jpg (489.0 KB, 426 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03576.jpg (678.1 KB, 425 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03577.jpg (796.7 KB, 399 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03578.jpg (519.6 KB, 406 views)
unstable_rider likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 12-07-2009 at 02:50 PM.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 06:22 PM

Zr97 photo contribution on his stebel:

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 07:34 PM

Hi and Welcome Randy007,

Fixed my stebel below the front fork brace. See http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...?t=4763&page=2

Fix a relay as the stebel sucks a lot of juice.
So far, my stebel works fine even in the rainy season here.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 01:20 AM

Try the following post at the UK forum at
http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtop...highlight=horn which may help (or not as the case may be).

|
|
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 04:40 AM

Garage
Here's the horns,wiring kits in the link below. There well worth it mine has keep me from getting hit a few times already.Really gets thier attention.

http://www.bikerhiway.com/motorcycle...4_287_247.html

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 07-30-2010 at 06:24 AM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 05:47 PM

Ok... um...WOW! that Bad Boy horn is awesome. Thanks fasteddiecopeman for the mounting idea and detailed photos. The install worked out well.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Here's the horns,wiring kits in the link below. There well worth it mine has keep me from getting hit a few times already.Really gets thier attention.

http://www.bikerhiway.com/motorcycle...4_287_247.html
Does the plug-n-play wiring harness really just plug in, or is there still splicing and shrink-wrapping, etc?

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerpawed View Post
Does the plug-n-play wiring harness really just plug in, or is there still splicing and shrink-wrapping, etc?

It is true plug n play. I wanted to do some shrink wrapping just to hide the yellow wire. I installed mine where the stock horn was.

Remember that sound is directional.... no sense in blasting 139db into the fender or towards the motor!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator

Compact from Italy.

Pretty simple to do, Just re route the stock wire to your new horn.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 04:49 AM

Sorry for novice question........how/where does the relay attach. I have a Stebel and have no idea how to 'wire' it with the relay it came with.....

Sorry
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

http://www.google.com.my/images?um=1...=&oq=&gs_rfai=

You have a few simple wiring diagram in the link above.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator

http://www.rattlebars.com/mtz/basicrelayuse.gif

Here is another one.

Hope it work and is of some help to you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode