first fall - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Verticalscope Forum Support / Help (Kawasakiversys.com) Questions about forum functionality or suggestions for improvement. Need help finding what you're looking for? Let us know here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
first fall

I unfortunately have to anounce that my V with less than 1000 miles on the clock now sports hideous scrape and scuff marks all down the right hand side,and a busted rear brake lever.

As I was heading to my advanced driving class[oh the irony] some idiot decided today would be a good day to jump the red at the intersection and clip my front wheel.Luckily I was going pretty slow as I was about to turn into the intersection doing about 40 mph.

Luckily no injuries just a broken heart.But that's why we have insurance right?

At least i can report that the engine cut out which kicks in as soon as the v goes down works pretty darn good.I lifted my V and gave her a minute or two just to settle the oil and she fired right up.I then proceeded to have a discussion with my new friend the idiot..... it didn't end well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator

Glad you're ok. Hopefully the guy has insurance.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Nope he was just one of many uninsured drivers we have in south africa.I will have to cough up the excess.The best part is he didn't even stop my buddy pulled him off the road.I can't blame him though I was pretty upset I'm 6'3" and about 280 lbs.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 12:08 AM

Send a message via MSN to joshmedley
Hammer....was in your neck of the woods last in May of 2008. In the Johannesburg, Pretoria, Kruger Park area...Crazy drivers in that part of the world. Glad to hear you survived...With all the pay toll roads...how is law enforcement on bikes there????
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

We have two types of law enforcement here our SAP is our police service which do normal cop stuff and then we have the metro traffic cops which purely focus on traffic and speeding etc.It all depends on your attitude towards them,I think most of the traffic cops around here just see it as a 9-5 job no real interest,as long as they get a decent pay increase they're pretty happy,but you do get plenty corrupt ones too.[bribes etc].

And to answer your question they are not very fond of our superbike brethren our freeways are pretty long and open so they nail a couple of superbikes almost every weekend for doing atleast 150-170 mph

ps I'm heading to Kruger park in a couple of days can't wait.Eland is definitely on my list for this year's hunting season.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 09:07 AM

Hammer it's interesting to read your take on the cops down there. Here in the states, especially Texas, offering a bribe to an officer is one of the quickest ways to go to jail. For the most part the police here do a fairly good job and some are a bit over zealous in the execution of their duties when it comes to issuing traffic tickets or as some call them "performance awards". I guess we deserve it as we are a bit lead footed on the gas. Not me of course. I'm speaking of everyone else.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 10:00 AM

Are you sure it wasn't an eland driving that car?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 12:01 PM

Send a message via MSN to joshmedley
On our way out of kruger, a route my guide makes weekly we were pulled over, or shall i say ripped off buy a speed patrol officer...they had put a lower speed sign up over the correct and were set up with speed guns and video camera's pulling people over left and right. The fine was 300 rand...or a 250 rand donation to the cop.... $42 U.S. or $35 U.S. . I found it rather humorous, Needless to say we had firearms...with the correct paper work...but paying the fine was easier than having to deal with all the anti-gun issues they have in S.AFrica...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt. Versuvius View Post
Are you sure it wasn't an eland driving that car?
Hahahaha thats awesome i really enjoyed that one.

I think the main reason the cops are so shifty is they get paid a ridiculous salary,and in a country where criminals just don't give damn about anybody they really have a hard time. Don't get me wrong there are plenty of descent cops out there but I think they class more under adrenalin junkie than anything else.The bad guys intentionally target cops.

I know I sound like a doomsayer but actually things are on the up and up we have our presidential election in a couple of months so it's going to be intresting.

The safety aspect of it all is as long as you have your wits about you.You will be fine.just don't do anything silly.

We have a beautiful country and I would really encourage everybody to come and visit and have a look for yourself
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode