Download full thread tool? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Verticalscope Forum Support / Help (Kawasakiversys.com) Questions about forum functionality or suggestions for improvement. Need help finding what you're looking for? Let us know here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Download full thread tool?

Hi,

I was looking to download a full thread, text and pictures, and other than save each page, I couldn't find anything.
I was looking on the net and apparently should be possible from thread tools to do that, can an admin implement this function?
Or maybe there is another way that I don't know, maybe a tool for offline browsing ( I was playing with that but I cannot make it work )

Versys 2015 Green
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator

Hmmm.... I'm looking at the thread tools, and see no option to "download thread". Am I missing it??

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 06:43 PM

You probably already know that you can save a whole page of a thread.
With IE go file > save as. Save to HD and then open later with IE opens off you HD

There are utilty programs, for example Web Zip that allows
downloading web sites with all kinds of filters and options.

"Respect the Ride if you don't you Won't"
"A man's got to know his limitations"

Last edited by cmoreride; 03-28-2011 at 06:52 PM.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

@Bear
there is no tool here, but I understand that it might be implemented ...!?!-ish....

@cmoreride
I know how to save a page, but to save a topic that has 50 pages, with pictures and everything......
I would like a tool that saves all the pages ( makes an image of the thread on the HDD) so I can browse it from HDD......

Versys 2015 Green
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Garage
Hello,

Thank you for the question/suggestion. This is not something we will be adding at this time. Is there a reason you want to download the information as oppose to reading it online?
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Too bad.... it is that difficult to implement this?
I can save one page at a time, but it's not easy to browse...

I have a JD topic that I want to save for my future -ish work, and I saw a lot of pictures are hosted outside... if he decides to erase them...... or if the forum has a problem and it's not working.... or if I need something right now and I don't have internet connexion, or.....or.....
we can have a lot of reasons..... this tool can help us, I'm sure I'm not the only one.

The search is much easier to do on my computer than to use the search from the forum...

Anyway, if you decided that you're not implementing this..... I'm just shooting in the dark...

Versys 2015 Green
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 12:32 AM

This might help:
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/lwa.html

~ Wes

"Nothing bugs a handyman more than a stripper that works too slow" ~ Red Green

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KawiMan View Post
Hello,

Thank you for the question/suggestion. This is not something we will be adding at this time. Is there a reason you want to download the information as oppose to reading it online?
Sometimes pictures are removed from threads. So it would be nice to save some threads in their entirety. Build threads and ride reports come to mind.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Thx.

Still this one :"save and archive a complete (single) web page with all images"
I can save it like that directly from my browser...
I need something that saves all the pages in a single move and makes them available for browsing from the HDD, complete with all the pictures.

I'll keep looking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MntVersys View Post

Versys 2015 Green
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Trying to revive this issue:

can an admin look at this:
http://www.warriorforum.com/warrior-...rum-posts.html

maybe we can have something similar !?

Versys 2015 Green
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 12:15 PM

Although this may only be useful for the currently displayed page, you might be able to use CutePDF to print it to a PDF file.

If there were some forum option to display all replies on one page, one would be able to have it all in one file.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 02:05 PM

Garage
This site uses an application called vBulletin that dynamically generates web pages from data in a data base as well as selection criteria the user supplies such as the thread and page to they want to view. As someone mentioned you can save a complete page but there is no way to download a complete thread if it spans more than one page.

That said, there is spidering software you can download that will capture an entire website by following the links on each page it looks at and then saving the page. Given that the content of this site changes on a minute by minute basis I do not see any point in trying to download it.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

let's take an example:

I want to download the thread of JD with pictures and everything.

the link of the thread is this one:

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...t=5480&page=69

I want to be able to tell download this link and make a PDF, from the page 1 to page 69.
I want to keep the text and the pictures, exactly how's in the thread. To be able to do a search and see all the pictures ( some are linked to an outside link, so it's better to have them locally)

It's amazing that there is no good and easy solution to this problem, I was looking on the net and there are a LOT of people asking this !?

Versys 2015 Green
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chid View Post
Trying to revive this issue:

can an admin look at this:
http://www.warriorforum.com/warrior-...rum-posts.html

maybe we can have something similar !?
That is something run client-side (you), not server-side. You sign up for it, not me or any other admin.
If you want to run this software, that's your choice.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 02:54 PM
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chid View Post
let's take an example:

I want to download the thread of JD with pictures and everything.

the link of the thread is this one:

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...t=5480&page=69

I want to be able to tell download this link and make a PDF, from the page 1 to page 69.
I want to keep the text and the pictures, exactly how's in the thread. To be able to do a search and see all the pictures ( some are linked to an outside link, so it's better to have them locally)

It's amazing that there is no good and easy solution to this problem, I was looking on the net and there are a LOT of people asking this !?
Had it occurred to you that maybe there just isn't a good and easy solution to the problem because there actually isn't? vBulletin has been around long enough for the modding community to possibly think of a tool like this, but just hasn't because of the large amount of work that would have to go into coding it.
The thread you linked is 69 pages. It has almost 1400 replies. I'm not gonna bother going through it all and count all the images but I would venture a guess that the file size created by "saving" everything into one "file" would be enormous.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

I didn't say I want to use this one, it was just an example..

Can we have an option to increase the number of posts per page? I could print it as a PDF in 5 pages for example... but 69 it takes forever....

or any other solution ....

Versys 2015 Green
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 03:46 PM

Chid,
Here is what you can do:
For example take the JDrock's thread. Go to 'Edit Options' in your profile and set 'Number of posts' to maximum (40). Go to this site http://www.printwhatyoulike.com/pagezipper and copy PageZipper to your bookmarks bar. It's a script that automatically loads the next page on whatever site you are on.
You click it while in the desired thread and as you scroll down each following page will be loaded into a single page form. Then go to 'Save page' and it will save it all.

I use this method with Safari browser and it works. Saving it to a .pdf file will brake the structure of posts and images so stick with the native HTML.

Last edited by Ivan V; 02-17-2012 at 03:52 PM.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-18-2012, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Thx Ivan,

I tried in Chrome where I can put this as an extension.
It works to see the whole topic 69 pages on 1 page, it's great.
I tried to print it directly to PDF and it should work, but on my computer (old one) it doesn't have enough memory.
I'll make it next week on a more powerful computer.

This is a good simple solution. Thank you all for support.

Versys 2015 Green
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-18-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan V View Post
Chid,
Here is what you can do:
For example take the JDrock's thread. Go to 'Edit Options' in your profile and set 'Number of posts' to maximum (40). Go to this site http://www.printwhatyoulike.com/pagezipper and copy PageZipper to your bookmarks bar. It's a script that automatically loads the next page on whatever site you are on.
You click it while in the desired thread and as you scroll down each following page will be loaded into a single page form. Then go to 'Save page' and it will save it all.

I use this method with Safari browser and it works. Saving it to a .pdf file will brake the structure of posts and images so stick with the native HTML.
This is a slick piece of code. Thanks for this! I will be using it quite often.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode