Is it my Walmart computer...? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Verticalscope Forum Support / Help (Kawasakiversys.com) Questions about forum functionality or suggestions for improvement. Need help finding what you're looking for? Let us know here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Is it my Walmart computer...?

Is anyone having issues with "waiting for https" taking a while to open anything? I get a black screen for 15 to 30 seconds on everything I open. This only started yesterday, and I haven't noticed any problems on Facebook
or other websites. Anybody?

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Element View Post
Is anyone having issues with "waiting for https" taking a while to open anything? I get a black screen for 15 to 30 seconds on everything I open. This only started yesterday, and I haven't noticed any problems on Facebook
You will just have to peddle faster with that 486 chip of yours
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

I seem to have "connectivity problems", (that's what she said) I haven't changed any security settings, and it's only a problem on here. Most will applaud anything that will slow down my excessive posting, especially the wife. But, it's annoying me; somebody help me, I need to post.

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I seem to have "connectivity problems", (that's what she said) I haven't changed any security settings, and it's only a problem on here. Most will applaud anything that will slow down my excessive posting, especially the wife. But, it's annoying me; somebody help me, I need to post.
Had the so called connectivity problems and my telco sent me a wireless modem to replace my old one as the deal is on my broudband they provide the modem but i think the true problem was a dodgy ethernet cable.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 07:31 PM

There are several reasons for apparently slow connections.
Auto Updates for
Windows
Virus program
etc.
Too many programs running the back ground.
A lot programs install so the running minimally in the background in case you want to use them. Check tray on the bottom right. It's possible your ram is running low because to much stuff is running. open task manager and click performance tab and see if all the ram is used up.
If your running low on Ram the PC has to write to Hard drive all the stuff.
I use a Name brand PC utility program to keep the registry clean, and the disk clean.
Under Accessories / system tools / do disk clean up & defrag your hard drive.
Assume your running anti virus program and that's not an issue virus etc will bog your system down.
Those are all things that should be done anyway on a regular basis.

"Respect the Ride if you don't you Won't"
"A man's got to know his limitations"

Last edited by cmoreride; 02-15-2011 at 07:33 PM.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoreride View Post
There are several reasons for apparently slow connections ... Windows ... Virus program
Pretty much.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
You will just have to peddle faster with that 486 chip of yours
My Commodore 64 is bogging down a bit as well.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 08:39 PM

If your ram is being taken up by "other" processes try increasing your "page file" size.
Depending on the OS and the cpu, some have quite low max. limits, it sped up the wifes laptop some, it uses disk space as if it were RAM memory.

If running xp....control panel>system properties>advanced>under performance click "settings">advanced>under virtual memory click "change"...then max out the value.

All that said....some sites just don't work well with the "s" added, lots of "active x controls" and such, cookie monsters add to the slowness too....at least 5 or 6 coming onto this site, regularly, sometimes 10 or more back and forth cookies.

All this blabber may or may not help, so
EDIT, The page file may speed you up but won't likely fix the HTTP"S" issues you've got.

Don't Get Cabin Fever!

Last edited by Grandpa Ron; 02-15-2011 at 09:07 PM.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

I've had viruses before, don't think it's that. Everything but this website is acting normally, opening without issue. Not only is each thread opening slowly, I keep getting disconnected, with the "oops Internet Explorer cannot find KawasakiVersys.com" message from Google. I'm going to take Google off my toolbar and see if that's the culprit. Since I use Yahoo search engine, I think the 2 may be competing for my business here? Make sense?

My Album:
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Yup, that fixed it. Thanks!

My Album:
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 09:46 PM

It's working slow for me too, and I haven't changed a thing
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Tex, mine is slow again now too. Is brother Bear out there? Help us Rick!

My Album:
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thanks Tex, mine is slow again now too. Is brother Bear out there? Help us Rick!
Brother bear is on a few days off on a secret mission
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 10:43 PM

With regard to this site Versys Forum Only. Yes I have noticed intermittently pages start off all black with some lag till the page files in. Probably Forum Host Traffic and bandwidth issue.

Quote:

"Respect the Ride if you don't you Won't"
"A man's got to know his limitations"
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 12:56 AM

What browser are you guys using? If you haven't already, try Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome to see if it improves in speed. Whatever you do, don't use Google, MSN, Yahoo, or any other toolbar. Toolbars use up resources and they essentially spy on you and try to anticipate your next move based on what you've done previously. They also report back to their maker info for building statistics on how many people have visited what website when, where, and how. Who wants to be spied on and loose processing power anyway? Be sure to defrag your hard drive at least every 6 weeks, and dump your temp files on a regular basis. Don't expect to great things with a run-of-the-mill computer. Would you attempt to pull a huge travel trailer uphill with a 4-banger car? Consider changing your antivirus program to something less beefy that sucks half your resources up. Norton, McAfee, AVG are big offenders. Pull up your task manager and look at what is loaded in memory and how much is free and just how much is being used by whatever process. There might be one or two programs that are a hog. You might find that it is starved for available memory and is busy caching to the hard drive to free up some RAM. This misunderstood process is the cause of many irritated users who claim their computer is running slow or has "locked up" when it's actually trying to compensate for having too many things thrown at it. Just like many other things, be nice to your computer and it'll be nice to you. This includes regular maintenance and the possible operating system rebuild if things get too squirrely. I see far too many people treat their computer badly. I tell them if it had been their car, they'd wrap it around a tree several times daily. I'm constantly mopping up disasters that were brought on by negligence. As you've probably guessed, I do this for a living. I'm personally responsible for well over 600 computers, and I see the same issues again and again.

Life without GOD is like an unsharpened pencil...........
It has NO point
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

Thanks MiBlue, sage advice from an obvious expert, appreciate it. I am quite sure I abuse my computer thru negligence. Like the song, "I'm just a High Tech Red Neck". I do have Norton, but it's because my computer repair shop recommends it and sells it. After getting a couple of viruses, I am a little apprehensive about jetisoning Norton. I'm on Yahoo, with Internet Explorer. What I don't understand is why just this website is giving me the problem. Perhaps it's the amount of files and pictures, and my little e-machine can't handle it? BTW, apologies to Walmart, that was just a joke, my computer came from Best Buy.

My Album:
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 08:34 AM

There was a general site failure last night. I couldn't connect at all, no issues with other sites.
No, it's not an issue with your computer, nor it's settings.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 10:24 AM

Hey Element, if you are adventurous, try a AV program called Vipre. I myself dumped Norton several years ago because it was sucking a good 45% of the memory. That's ridiculous. Shame on Norton and for that matter all the rest of 'em that sell a sloppy made program that is a memory hog. I made the switch 'cause the Vipre program runs very efficiently with little resources, and it is in my opinion much better at catching bugs than the others. Here's a free 30-day trial:

http://download.cnet.com/Vipre-Antiv...-10870576.html

If you choose to try it, you will need to remove Norton first; you don't want to run two AV programs together 'cause they will fight each other.

Just a suggestion, but I think it's good stuff. I recommend it to everyone I have professional (computer) dealings with. Good luck

It has NO point
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

With my NZ telecom broudband they provide free McAfee as part of the deal, was a sweetner they offer to get people off dial up.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 10:59 AM

Hey Kiwi,

Please don't take this as an insult, but in my opinion, all McAfee is good for is dogging down a computer. I have not found it to be an effective deterrent from all the bugs out there and is not at all nice to a system's resources. All you need to do is look at your loaded processes and see just how much is being used. You might just be shocked. How would your V perform if you were dragging a pallet of bricks? It's the same concept with computers. Make 'em run as light as possible and good performance is the reward.

BTW, just so all you Mac people don't blast away, viruses for other platforms are on the rise. The hackers are not just anti Microsoft anymore, they are after your personal info and don't care what the circumstances are to get it. Those of you who run Macs (or Linux) are potentially fish in a barrel; it's not if, but when.

Have fun out there....

It has NO point
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode