Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Looked at a Versys 1000 Today

4K views 30 replies 12 participants last post by  saddlebag 
#1 ·
Do want, $12,799 + tax

Seat comfort and height, better than my '09 Versys. Couldn't ride it, but just sitting on it, bike feels very good, very comfortable. The dual stands, center and reg. kickstand are good.

The handguards are only half way, but, because of the way the fairing are, you could not put a full wrap handguard. The bags are decent size, however do not look easily replaceable, the ones from a Concours are larger though, but it is setup to install a decent size trunk.

Dealer started it and had it idling, the 4 is very quiet, even indoors, would probably want a louder exhaust.

From my thoughts, only farkles I could really see adding to it, heated grips, 12v socket, trunk, sliders for the front, fuse block and maybe fog lights. Otherwise, it's a very good value I think.

The one my dealer had is the burnt orange/matte black, not really a fan of that color, they will have an all black model in a couple of weeks.

#2 ·
Saw the black one today. It is metalflake. Decent looking bike. Jumped back and forth from a '14 V to the '15 650. Felt the same to me. Better suspension and brakes from the looks of things. With the prices of used and leftover bikes, I will be not looking for new unless it is something very unique and limited numbers.

#4 ·
I don't know, since it's brand new model, they may not have much room to haggle. MSRP is $12,799 was also the price on the sticker. I wonder what the price would be with the Costco member discount.

#11 ·
The V1K is a svelte sport tourer made for tall people, but can be readily adapted for the rest of us. The Tenere looks like Dr Frankenstein's version of a dirt bike. I don't have a lot of public trails around these parts, but even if I did, I don't know why I'd buy a behemoth like that to attempt to navigate them.

OTOH, I have been riding sport touring bikes or standards turned into sport touring bikes most of my adult life. And the V1K looks like a gem to me. And if you're not riding in the rain or dirt much, that chain and sprockets would probably last more than 10k miles if you never touched them.

There was a guy on a sport forum who claimed he never maintained chains and he seemed to get just as much life as everyone else who was meticulous about their maintenance. All I know for sure is I've owned a bunch of bikes with shafts and chains and neither seem like a big chore to me. My only advice on chain drives is to stick with steel sprockets as the aluminum ones chew teeth off fast.

#12 ·
I don't think any of the big bikes are really designed for off road. They are just big adventure touring bikes that will see dirt and gravel roads at the worst. The Super Tenere is pretty heavy. I think the Versys 1000 weighs about 30 labs less.

Shaft appeals to me but I don't have a problem with chains. Put a Scottoiler on it and forget it. I have one on the Versys and the KLR.

I would like to see a comparison of these big adventure touring bikes, weight, performance, price, etc.

Does the Versys 1000 have a low fender like the 650? This is a real problem for any bike that will see mud.

#15 ·
Spent some time with the 1000 at the Dallas show, and was favorably impressed with it.
Also found I liked the gen 3 650 better than I had imagined.
Either one would be a fine ride, but the price of the 1000 seems like less of a bargain when you consider working upwards of list, with fees and taxes all in.

#25 ·
Dealer profit on a bike is generally 13 percent. The good dealers constantly looking for factory incentives that help them sell a bike, but keep their full profit in place.

There are too many dealers out there who don't charge delivery and setup fees, that would make paying those fees ridiculous.

What they really make money on is Accessories, Warranties, and prepaid service.

I personally will go 500 miles for a bike, but many won't. I did a fly and buy once on a new bike. Did break in drills and then rode it home through the mountains. Did break in service as soon as I got home.

#28 ·
I think, the best option, unless you're hot to trot for one, is to wait till the end of the year, or beginning of next year and see if they deal on the leftovers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.