Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

260 (ish) Km Per Tank?

17K views 61 replies 28 participants last post by  fasteddiecopeman 
#1 ·
Well, I've done the calculations and after a few rides on my "new to me" 2007 Versys with approx. 80,000km I've discovered that my mileage / kilometres per tank are weighing in at approximately 250 / 260 km, total, including the reserve on a 19 litre tank.

My testing has occurred through the cold month of December.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks for checking in!

M

#4 ·
Le's see if I can do this and have it make sense to me - a mile and gallon person.

260 km x .621= 161.5 miles. 19 liters x .264 = 5.02 gallons. Then 161.5 mi ÷ .5.02 gal = 32.2 mpg or 13.7 kpl. This, of course, assumes the math is correct (I believe it is). BTW, to convert mpg to kpl multiply 32.2 mpg by 0.425143707 - really! Talk about precision overkill.

13.7 kpl doesn't mean much to me but 32.2 does and it seem pretty low. But I have to say that I don't check fuel consumption very often. I'm too busy smiling and enjoying the ride.

#5 ·
That's a bit high as far as fuel consumption goes

I usually do 325 km + on my tank
Think I got 400 once, but upon fill up, I had put almost 18 liter in tha tank, so I was on vapor ...

And since I bought the bike, I've average 5.3 liters per 100 km (10k km)

And I alwyas ride it like I stoled it

My 2 cents

LOP

#8 · (Edited)
80000 km ≈ 49600 miles so a thorough service would seem to be a good thing. Forum member fasteddiecopeman has a couple high mileage Versyses ( Versyii?) and might offer some good first hand advice.

The only bike I own that has high mileage is a BMW K75S and it runs like a Swiss watch. And with 53000 miles, it's barely broken in. :D

#17 ·
80000 km ≈ 49600 miles so a thorough service would seem to be a good thing. Forum member fasteddiecopman has a couple high mileage Versyses ( Versyii?) and might offer some good first hand advice.

The only bike I own that has high mileage is a BMW K75S and it runs like a Swiss watch. And with 53000 miles, it's barely broken in. :D
I filled up the other day (4.826 US gallons) for 241 miles = 50 mpg. As I can get 5.4 gallons in to the top of the 'neck', that gives me about 266 miles to tank dry. I have got as much as 60 mpg, and USUALLY nearer to 56. At 56 that gives a range of just over 300 miles, or 500 kms.

My '09 in BC gets SLIGHTLY lower mileage....

#10 ·
Where are you, and how cold has it been for you in December?

Any idea of what maintenance was done if any, and at what mileage? Check you air filter, which may be dirty and/or over-oiled... Valve adjustment and spark plug replacement, followed by a throttle body vacuum synch would be advisable, beside a general checkup. Tires are inflated to 32 psi front and 36 psi rear once cooled to ambient temperature? You run on 10W-40 oil? Ethanol-free and/or premium gasoline would help as well.

http://pure-gas.org/

#13 ·
I consistently get over 400 kms per tank on 91 pump octane (95 RON) ethanol-free gas and Amsoil AFF synthetic 0W-40... Higher speeds and rpm's will have a substantial impact on fuel efficiency.

Kms/litres X 2.354 = Miles per US gallon

Kms/litres X 2.825 = Miles per Imperial gallon

#16 ·
I usually get between 300 to 350km per tank, the former is when I'm commuting via tollway and the later is when I commute within the city. The difference is the speed, when I commute via the tollway I'll be running WOT at some points, doing 100+ mph, braking hard when there is traffic and WOT again past the traffic. When I commute in the city I ride at much lower speeds.

When I go on weekend rides with my friends, all of them have sportbikes, I do push her a bit harder. Then I get around 250km per tank.

Yeah, I can get 400km per tank, but it is too damn boring. How do you ride?

#18 ·
I think I'm way heavier I the throttle than you all. Averaged around 43 mpg on a 1600 mile trip, but fell as low as 35 going 90mph into a headwind with all my gear. It's totally riding style dependent, as well as the roads. Curvy roads will make you want to slow into and power out of them.

My mileage is crazy when I cap my speed at 60mph and just put around. I've been using honda 10w-40 synthetic (no kawi dealer in my town) but I'm going to try Shell T6 5w-30...

#20 ·
I've been using honda 10w-40 synthetic (no kawi dealer in my town) but I'm going to try Shell T6 5w-30...
You mean Shell Rotella T6 5W-40... Diesel engine oils are a poor choice for your motorcycle. Some Shell Rotella oils may happen to be pass the JASO MA test for wet clutch high friction applications, but they're still a diesel engine oil, besides not being formulated for use with combined transmission. It fares relatively low as far as engine protection is concerned.

http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=32279

-Thermal Breakdown BEGINS SOONER with Diesel oil, than with gas engine oils, which is not desirable for High Performance gas engine usage. And as you can see by looking at this short list of “high zinc” gas engine oils, or by looking at the complete ranking list below, there are many, many gas engine oils available that are FAR SUPERIOR to the best Diesel oils in terms of wear protection. Therefore, using Diesel oils in high performance gas engines is NOT the best choice, if you want superior wear protection with plenty of margin of safety (extra reserve wear protection above what the engine typically needs)...

#22 · (Edited)
I've never noticed a difference in performance, knock or milage with 91 octane vs standard 89 octane. The Versys compression ratio is not high enough to utilize the higher ignition temp of 91 octane. 1 gal of gas contains the same energy regardless of octane. A higher octane only means that a higher temp is required to ignite it, a feature only beneficial in high compression engines to avoid pre detonation - the higher compression heats the fuel mixture to much higher temps before the spark plug ignites it.

#27 ·
Well, mine is bad too.

Averaging 260km per tankful.

Had an aftermarket end can, high flow air filter and power commander 5 installed. Current mieage at 65k km. prior to 30k km the bike was running at average 300km per tankful, after the 30k km mark i went for a dyno tune and thats when the fuel consumption rose. Went for a second dynotune after 20k but still no improvement. :(

So i just live with it.

#33 ·
my V gets 60mpg riding pretty quick through the hill country. avg speed is probably 60 or so. roads are tight twisty and rough. Throttle is never very far open.

It was funny, last year i got an xr650l to ride rougher roads with and maybe some single track in big bend. I rode from austin south through blanco and over to luckenbach and ran out of gas rolling into the station on 290. The bike barely made it 110mi on the stock tank.

My cursory logic was 2 cyl must use more fuel than 1. Oppps.

I've put a bigger tank on the honda now, adjusted the jetting a bit, but it only gets about 40mpg.

It all makes sense now but I was really shocked that the V gets such good mileage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.