Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Mid TN: New to Versys, not too new to Motorcycles...

1K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  nbleak21 
#1 ·
Well, two weeks after I registered on the forum, I finally found out why I wasn't able to participate in threads. Looks like I'll have to make an introduction!

My name is Nick, I'm a US Army Veteran and I'm currently working towards my degree in engineering.

Having owned a few motorcycles over the past 12 years, I found myself back in the market after a 3 year hiatus when parking became an issue at my university. In august I picked up a ninja 250 as a commuter and felt I needed something more substantial to lug my 6'2, 230lbs around... So after researching everything in the single/dual cyl category at 600cc~700cc. I narrowed my decision down to the BMW G650GS since it was half the insurance cost of any other model out there... So I had my mind made up, until I actually tried purchasing one. I refused to pay over MSRP(not including taxes) and all three dealers within 100mi radius wouldn't budge on their prices at $600-1200 above that (except for a NOS 2013 model that they would sell for $145 over msrp, plus all the prep fees, taxes, etc.)

At that point I swung by the local kawasaki dealership to look at the KLR650, thinking that I could just order a set of supermoto wheels and sacrifice the fuel injection and ABS that I had hoped to gain in a new purchase...

After discussing my woes with the salesman (poor fella) He turned me to the versys, said he could make me a heck of a deal, and even throw in a set of color matched hard cases and mount... At that point I told him he was speaking my language, and I went for a test ride. It was most everything I dreamed of in a motorcycle. Great balance, good low end power, excellent handling and stability, fuel injected, and abs.

When all was said and done, I traded in my ninja and walked out with a 2014 Verys w/ extra gear (and a crappy hat) for half of what I would have paid for the BMW, and feel 110% that I made the right choice, despite the higher insurance costs.

I currently have an internship that imposes a 200mi commute 3 days a week, so I aim to rack the miles on the Versys as long as it isn't snowing/ice on the roads.

Mods so far are:
-Kawasaki/Givi color matched hard cases & Mount
-Currently installing Cyclops H7 LEDs

Future Plans:
-Touring Windscreen
-Auxilary LED lights
-Composite rear tire hugger
-Composite fairings
-Composite seat cowl

I am looking for suggestions for Heated gear and more appropriate Touring gear for my long commute. As of now I only have basic short commute gear.

Advice on a quality full face helmet would be appreciated as well.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Welcome to the group. For the cyclops, on thursday night ride from work, I found the H7 base had come un-plugged from the factory adapter to H4. So yesterday I visited the auto parts store, and picked up a H7 female connector. I will be removing the H4 and putting H7 in place, and no more adapter. I think I can just slide out the actual connectors from housing. will follow up with results. I have a vstream with MRA wind sceen. Helmet is a bilt explorer adventure from cyclegear. on sale most days for $99.

#3 ·
:welcome:

#4 ·
For commuter gear, the Aerostich Roadcrafter is kind of the gold standard. I have one, but recently purchased an Olympia riding jacket and pants. Very pleased with the Olympia stuff, and it was less expensive than Aerostich.

I'm a fan of Arai helmets. For the street, I'm using the XD4.

#6 ·
Thanks. I've been eying the Aerostich R3 suit, but I'm unclear on the differences of each version and haven't been able to contact them during business hrs to see what may best suit my need.

I've also been looking into Olympia gear if I decided to go the 2 piece route. glad to hear that I'm on the right track!

Regarding helmets, I actually hadn't heard of Arai until I started expanding my price point on helmets... they are definitely in the top end of my budget. The XD4 looks like a great helmet, but since all of my versys riding will be on improved surfaces, I'm aiming more towards a touring helmet.

#5 ·
Thanks guys!

Mikej, Thanks for the insight on the clip issue. perhaps I'll take whip up a latch in solidworks and print it to avoid that issue. I'd like to keep factory wiring harness stock while under warranty ;-)

I thought I could get by with just replacing the bulbs, but it will definitely be a housing off affair due to the spring clips... I've been searching for the Service Manual so I can remove everything without breakage but have only found one for the first gen. Do you have a source on the second Gen?

Regarding the helmet, I'm looking to invest in a decent touring helmet... all i've had in the past were budget helmets, and they always seemed lacking (build qIuality, wind noise, fitment, etc. I definitely want one with a built in sun visor... If that wasn't a requirement, the Shoei Quest would be on the way already! lol

#7 · (Edited)
So just finished trying to swap h4 for H7. Its a no go. So the $5 H7 female has wire leads. I put the factory H4 housing back in, and put crimp spades on the end of the H7 wires. I did have to file the H7 end down so it fits firmly. Also squeezed the front to back gap on female ends on the H7 when I had them out. So its still and adapter. but better than the factory one that fits the back of H7 lamp. Bike wiring harness stayed factory.

If you need it, I still have the paper clip model of the retaining clip, I will make a detailed drawing with measurements.

Mike

Check out the product videos on Revzilla.com for gear.
Here's the link to the new model service manual

#12 ·
Tennessee Technological University... I am also interning at Oak Ridge National Laboratory as a Manufacturing Systems Research Technologist (hence the commute) so I see my fair share of the Knoxville area ;-)

I am also considering a PSM or MBA. I'll send a PM your way.

Thank you for your service.

#13 ·
I went ahead and made a couple purchases :D

I decided to go with low/mid-range gear for the time being, and look towards upgrading in the future.

I now have in route:
-Joe Rocket Survivor 1 piece suit (High Visibility Yellow)
-Nolan N104 Helmet (High Visibility Orange)
-Auxilary LED lights
-Zero Gravity Touring Windscreen

To order:
-Barkbusters Storms
-Oxford BoneDry Muffs
-SW Motech Engine Guards

Still working on the Cyclops H7 LED install ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.