Anybody Else Restore Old Bikes? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Biz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Anybody Else Restore Old Bikes?

Didn't see this category on the Versys site. Does anybody else like rebuilding old motorcycles like me? If so let's hear about your projects. I've attached pics of my last two restorations; 74 Kawasaki H2, and 78 Yamaha DT 250. I'm a sucker for cool 2 strokes. I tear 'em all down and rebuild everything. I enjoy the body and paint work the most I think, since that was my first passion when I started restoring classic cars. I like using enamel or lacquer paint, but with 2K clear coat so the finish is fully protected. Let me hear about what you guys are working on. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	•LeftFull.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	77809   Click image for larger version

Name:	•RightFull.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	77817   Click image for larger version

Name:	•GasTankRight.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	77825   Click image for larger version

Name:	•InstrumentsStraightOn.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	77833   Click image for larger version

Name:	DT250leftside.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	77841  

Name:	DT250rightside.jpg
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	77849   Click image for larger version

Name:	DT250tankcu.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	77857   Click image for larger version

Name:	DT250instruments.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	77865  
ATYC likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Biz; 12-29-2015 at 10:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 11:15 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Nice Work..
Biz likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 11:15 PM

Garage
Nicely done!
I know Ronheater70 has done a few: http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ide-these.html
Biz likes this.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 06:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
You do very nice work. I like 2 strokes. I still have a couple of rz350's. I miss watching the 500 gp bikes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	77881  
Biz likes this.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
Biz

Thanks, ya I've switched from restoring cars to bikes. We have a monthly Vintage Bike Night here in St. Louis that attracts a lot of restorers from around the area. It's held at a craft brewery, so we meet, BS about bikes, and sample some great beer and food. I like this event because it's people that actually like to rebuild old stuff, and ride it. It's amazing how far bikes have come, and I love having a workhorse bike like the Versys, that I can go across 4 states in a weekend without facing a possible mechanical breakdown, LOL. I could tell you some stories...
turn8a likes this.

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
ya i like to restore old bikes/ build customs , i try to pump one out a year i also use to do cars but then due to lack of garage i switched to bikes due to building a car in the living room not being a good idea.... heres a list of some of my projects ive done over the last few years (not counting random repairs done on other bikes)

built the honja track bike (honda X baja). done(sold)
loads of mods on sylvester (versys) done
build honda rebel for my roommate (99%done{need headlight and front tube})
more mods to sylvester (versys) done
rebuild/restore ATK that was stolen 3+ years ago(done and sold)
build cafe zuk (done and sold)
build/restore nighthawk (sold and done{yes that bike i actually sold befor i built it})
build the bobbstar for my husband (done)
rebuild and mod ATK(done and stolen)
build gs supper sleeper (done and sold)

2016?
as long as i get my husband another bike i will be modding the hell out of it (stock sucks)
tear down the bobbstar , put its motor into a honda 185S frame unless i can find a rear swing arm and axle(from a 3-wheeler or quad)
put a 250cc motor into the bobbstar frame and make it into cafe 2.0 (maybe p51 mustang theme?)
????????
Biz likes this.

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 10:42 AM

I have to get motivated and get myself back into garage and finish this one. I just rather be riding than working on them.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	77889  

Last edited by turn8a; 12-30-2015 at 11:08 AM.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 11:03 AM

Garage
Nice. Beautiful machines.

Might get into that when I stop riding so much. My 10 year average is 20,000 miles a year on 2 wheels. I also spend an average of 20 weeks a year away from home.

My Versys Travels:

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 11:34 AM

I've had this idea in my mind for a while, rebuild the fastest bike that was made the year I was born: 1978 XS1100

A few days ago one was listed for sale in Mexico; It's complete, original paint, just missing the OEM turn signals, mufflers and centerstand, other than that, it's bone stock. It would need at least new paint, new brake lines, carb rebuild, carb boots, a good looking muffler, centerstand, new logos as the ones in the bike are faded and a good mechanical inspection, fluids and what not.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssser Tod View Post
I've had this idea in my mind for a while, rebuild the fastest bike that was made the year I was born: 1978 XS1100

A few days ago one was listed for sale in Mexico; It's complete, original paint, just missing the OEM turn signals, mufflers and centerstand, other than that, it's bone stock. It would need at least new paint, new brake lines, carb rebuild, carb boots, a good looking muffler, centerstand, new logos as the ones in the bike are faded and a good mechanical inspection, fluids and what not.
I had a '78 XS750, and I seem to remember that the 11s had an issue that was pretty scary - just can't remember WHAT it was. Maybe "google" it?

Biz likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 07:17 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Those are nice nice NICE !

Here are a couple of mine, in various stages of restoration.....

turn8a and Biz like this.

No matter where you go - there you are.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 07:21 AM

And, here's a thought.....

Just because it's old, doesn't necessarily make it unreliable.

And... just because it's new, does NOT make it reliable.

No matter where you go - there you are.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Biz

Keep 'em coming, I love seeing everybody's 'other ' bikes and projects. I never seem to get below at least two bikes in the garage. How can you get by with only one bike, LOL!

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 11:43 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
heres the page of the bobbstar build up
Brad's Honda Twinstar Site

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I had a '78 XS750, and I seem to remember that the 11s had an issue that was pretty scary - just can't remember WHAT it was. Maybe "google" it?

I think it had something to do w/ the engine 'locking-up' at speed....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 11:59 AM

I found that the middle drive is known to seize and lock up the rear end. Honestly I don't know if I'll ever do it, newer bikes are so much better for riding that this bike would be just a garage queen; I already have one garage queen.
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 12:35 PM

I don't have the skills, initiative or patience to restore an old bike. I'm pressed just to keep mine running and in service. But I occasionally write about someone who does, and this story was one of the most unusual: a guy who built the bike of his childhood almost completely from NOS parts. It doesn't take the same skills as restoring a bike, so I'm sure some will find it interesting and others will dismiss it, but it definitely takes commitment and persistence to find all the parts. Now he has a 1972 dirt bike that's brand new.

weljo2001 and Biz like this.

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Biz

At the end of the day, unless it's going in a museum, life is too short not to ride the object of your dreams... even a little bit!

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-18-2016, 12:12 PM

Garage
Here's my Norton restoration including a few 'before' photos to show just how bad it was. The entire bike looked like that. I rebuilt everything from engine up, every nut and bolt.

I must have been crazy.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Norton 001.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	78657   Click image for larger version

Name:	Norton 002.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	78665   Click image for larger version

Name:	Norton 003.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	78673   Click image for larger version

Name:	Norton 004.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	78681  
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-18-2016, 12:52 PM

Garage
That's beautifully done, and yes you might be a little crazy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode