African Twin 1st ride... - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

African Twin 1st ride...

if I was looking to go more into an off roading bike than our Versys'..I might consider this...

Ride Review: 2016 Africa Twin CRF1000L | MOTORCYCLIST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 06:56 PM

Aren't you a bit too light in your loafers for that beast?
post #3 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Aren't you a bit too light in your loafers for that beast?
Loafers aren't the best foot wear for off road riding, even if you do think he's a "beast."

post #4 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 07:31 AM

I believe this to be my next bike. However I am going to wait a year and see what complaints and deficiencies pop up from real world riders. if it Pans out to be nothing major, I will sell the Versys Next Christmas and hopefully find a gently used or leftover AT in 2017 while the cool temps keep prices down a bit.
post #5 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
I believe this to be my next bike. However I am going to wait a year and see what complaints and deficiencies pop up from real world riders. if it Pans out to be nothing major, I will sell the Versys Next Christmas and hopefully find a gently used or leftover AT in 2017 while the cool temps keep prices down a bit.
A 1000cc twin is too much for anyone. It will have the power of bricks with torque, and good handling from being a twin. If you have EVER gotten yourself in too deep on the Vs. 650, it will be an every day occurrence on a 1000cc twin. I never want another 100+hp bike again, and the insurance would be outrageous as well. The Vs. 650 has the perfect power range for safety, fun, and efficiency. Although it will be interesting to see how the bricks do comparably, I'd personally never want any other bike than what I have now. There are none that are safer in handling (the ultimate safety variable) and power delivery. 650's rule (2 of them anyway)! Good luck!!
post #6 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
A 1000cc twin is too much for anyone. It will have the power of bricks with torque, and good handling from being a twin. If you have EVER gotten yourself in too deep on the Vs. 650, it will be an every day occurrence on a 1000cc twin. I never want another 100+hp bike again, and the insurance would be outrageous as well. The Vs. 650 has the perfect power range for safety, fun, and efficiency. Although it will be interesting to see how the bricks do comparably, I'd personally never want any other bike than what I have now. There are none that are safer in handling (the ultimate safety variable) and power delivery. 650's rule (2 of them anyway)! Good luck!!
I do Love it, one minor gripe of mine that wont seem to completely fade away is the power. I knew that when I bought the bike, however I thought it would be less of a deal personally to me than it really is. Now, I think it does EXCEPTIONALLY well for what it does. However I tend to like 90-110 hp or so as my comfort level. I certainly dont want a 150 HP KTM or Ducati, but I feel like, for me, that 100 hp +/- a few is my happy point. I like the additional Torque of the big twins especially in the Twisty mountains. Again, Just a personal preference of Mine.
I have come to really enjoy the Versys, and my previous complains of suspension and vibes have all but completely disappeared. I also Have no fears of Reliability issues so I can ride with confidence. All is good.. At this point I see no other bike on the Horizon I would even consider trading for, that I can afford anyway So if this AT seems to have some early teething pains, it will be knocked off the radar very quickly!

Last edited by ronheater70; 12-23-2015 at 10:21 AM.
post #7 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
I do Love it, one minor gripe of mine that wont seem to completely fade away is the power. I knew that when I bought the bike, however I thought it would be less of a deal personally to me than it really is. Now, I think it does EXCEPTIONALLY well for what it does. However I tend to like 90-110 hp or so as my comfort level. I certainly dont want a 150 HP KTM or Ducati, but I feel like, for me, that 100 hp +/- a few is my happy point. I like the additional Torque of the big twins especially in the Twisty mountains. Again, Just a personal preference of Mine.
I have come to really enjoy the Versys, and my previous complains of suspension and vibes have all but completely disappeared. I also Have no fears of Reliability issues so I can ride with confidence. All is good.. At this point I see no other bike on the Horizon I would even consider trading for, that I can afford anyway So if this AT seems to have some early teething pains, it will be knocked off the radar very quickly!
Yeah, it will be the biggest twin ever, other than the BMW airplane engine which is not the smoothest or easiest riding bike in the mountains. My biggest gripe may be the seat to footpegs could be 12" away like so many Honda motorcycles, except Goldwings. And if it's got Honda's name on it, they want a good price so even used ones would be high.

BUT if ergonomics fit and it is not too scary powerful, that would be the superbike to have if you have a need for one. It would certainly be safer handling than a brick (and could replace a whole industry of easy money for ALL motorcycle manufacturers!) It seems kind of exciting for the motorcycle industry.

Last edited by kawdog; 12-23-2015 at 01:54 PM.
post #8 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 03:25 PM

What would favor the African Twin over the Kawasaki Versys 1000LT ???

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcintucson View Post
What would favor the African Twin over the Kawasaki Versys 1000LT ???
Purpose, and weight, suspension and a twin engine.

Last edited by ronheater70; 12-23-2015 at 03:58 PM.
post #10 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 06:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Yeah, it will be the biggest twin ever, other than the BMW airplane engine which is not the smoothest or easiest riding bike in the mountains. My biggest gripe may be the seat to footpegs could be 12" away like so many Honda motorcycles, except Goldwings. And if it's got Honda's name on it, they want a good price so even used ones would be high.

BUT if ergonomics fit and it is not too scary powerful, that would be the superbike to have if you have a need for one. It would certainly be safer handling than a brick (and could replace a whole industry of easy money for ALL motorcycle manufacturers!) It seems kind of exciting for the motorcycle industry.

Do you honestly believe the garbage that you cobstantly post on here? Every post you make makes you look stupid...The largest twin ever? Yamaha Tenere, any Harley besides the 883, most buels, several KTM's, and countless more just to name a few....
So stop talking out your ass and give people proper info or **** up.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #11 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWKSHOT99 View Post
Do you honestly believe the garbage that you cobstantly post on here? Every post you make makes you look stupid...The largest twin ever? Yamaha Tenere, any Harley besides the 883, most buels, several KTM's, and countless more just to name a few....
Oh yeah! Just wait until you climb onto a liter bike where the slightest crack of the throttle will unleash limitless power causing it to slide out of control, potentially wiping out scores of Las Vegas pedestrians. Or worse yet a BMW, easily the least popular motorcycle touring the Alps due to their terrible handling characteristics.

Just thank your lucky starz Kawboy is out there looking out for us. Without him there's no telling the level of mayhem us ignorant riders would inflict on the innocent public!
post #12 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 08:34 PM

Quote:
If you have EVER gotten yourself in too deep
Women are constantly telling me this. Maybe it's time I try a moped.
HAWKSHOT99 likes this.
post #13 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 11:50 AM

Quote:
I believe he was meaning in terms of a P-twin. I know my Buell was 1203 cc. The Beamer is a Boxer, the KTMs, Tenere, And Stroms are V-twins like the Buell..as well as Ducati. . Its the only logical thing I can come up with.
post #14 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 12:23 PM

Well until I ride one I won't know if I like it or not and if it's more bike than I can deal with. All the ride reports from all the magazines and web sites by all the hotshot riders won't or can't tell me that.

As far as someone who hasn't ridden one telling me all about it....

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
post #15 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
Well until I ride one I won't know if I like it or not and if it's more bike than I can deal with. All the ride reports from all the magazines and web sites by all the hotshot riders won't or can't tell me that.

First owner report over on ADVrider seems very favorable, however very correct, I will want to ride one before I make any decision.. and I still won't buy anything until I see miles on it and know there are no immediate issues.
post #16 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post

Pretty sure I'd need a ladder to deal with it. Seat height listed at 33.5". Is a good lookin thing. Looks like it has pretty good wind protection too.
post #17 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Your size 8 boots must be awful tight today, big talking man on the internet. I was referring to vertical twins. Don't blame me for your malnutrition in mind and body. 1000cc is a revelation in vertical twin power (like the Vs. 650, duh!) I generally don't care about Harley's or V-shaped twins or follow them. So you can STFU and quit reciting minutia trivia: like you know anything that anyone is interested in hearing or has any relationship to the Vs. 650 engine, big man.
post #18 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 04:11 PM

Naw, I'm not going there.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #19 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 05:12 PM

Garage
Quote:
Your size 8 boots must be awful tight today, big talking man on the internet. I was referring to vertical twins. Don't blame me for your malnutrition in mind and body. 1000cc is a revelation in vertical twin power (like the Vs. 650, duh!) I generally don't care about Harley's or V-shaped twins or follow them. So you can STFU and quit reciting minutia trivia: like you know anything that anyone is interested in hearing or has any relationship to the Vs. 650 engine, big man.
Since your only talking about the amazing superior twins, I guess Yamaha never created the Super Tenere 1200?

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #20 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Since your only talking about the amazing superior twins, I guess Yamaha never created the Super Tenere 1200?
A $16k 1200 cc twin "driveshaft" BMW wantabe bike? BMW R bikes are dinosaurs to me, so a copy cat is no big deal. You better get one while they are still hot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode