New Toy: Ducati 900ss - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New Toy: Ducati 900ss

Well I picked up a Ducati 900SS this morning! Honestly I wasn't really in the market but sometimes deals come around that you simply cannot pass up...

Anyone here ever own a Ducati 900ss or similar? This is a 2002, fuel injected model.

For the record: This is by no means a replacement for the Versys, I am simply adding another thoroughbred to the stable.

For everyday urban commuting the Ducati's riding position is far too aggressive, but this bike is an "SS" and we all know that commuting isn't a priority for anything ending with the letters "SS".

However with a push of the starter button the Ducati snarls to life, rumbling from two upward pointing exhaust pipes on either side of the bike. It chatters and rattles like the engine is going to blow apart, but really thats just the dry clutch warning you of the impending danger ahead. Once out on the road, the chatters and rattles stop, the bike focuses, smoothly growls, and the rear wheel digs into the ground. The transmission shifts are silky, the steering is very tight, and the exhaust notes encourage bad behavior.

Then I hop back on the Versys, it purrs to life, and like a tall sewing machine on wheels we fly down the street. I see the highway onramp ahead, lean hard, accelerate, tear around the spiral and onto the highway. At which point I sit up, relax, and smile because I know that I have over 100 miles of riding left this afternoon and the Versys likes going for long rides.

Long story short, I'm very excited about this new garage mate, especially since I've never owned an Italian bike.

Last edited by GiantAntCowboy; 11-07-2015 at 02:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 01:11 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Well done! A person after my own heart. It's been a while since I went down that road on two wheels, but I did accidentally buy a Fiat 500 Abarth mostly because it's a major hoot. It also growls and rumbles and goes like a scalded cat, and it's not possible to drive it without smiling. It's not sensible and probably won't be reliable in the long run but it's red, it's Italian and it's a blast. So, long live your Ducati and may it give you pleasure.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 12:54 PM

Very nice. Don't recall ever seeing an upside down rear brake caliper like that.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 12:46 AM

That's a race bike! I couldn't afford to maintain it or drive with my head belly button high all the time, but it sure does look like a hoot. It's an official "head-turner." I really like the faring too.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 08:47 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Mmmmm, nice ride! Careful with that axe, Eugene.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 10:12 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantAntCowboy View Post
Well I picked up a Ducati 900SS this morning!
Guessing it's around an '03. I had a different model with that same paint scheme. Enjoy, they're a blast!

Click image for larger version

Name:	right_turn3_edit.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	75537
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
Well done! A person after my own heart. It's been a while since I went down that road on two wheels, but I did accidentally buy a Fiat 500 Abarth mostly because it's a major hoot. It also growls and rumbles and goes like a scalded cat, and it's not possible to drive it without smiling. It's not sensible and probably won't be reliable in the long run but it's red, it's Italian and it's a blast. So, long live your Ducati and may it give you pleasure.
Thanks Arion. and Yea, sometimes you have to throw sensible practicality out the window and focus on pure excitement. I've never driven or ridden in an Abarth, but I know they are great toys! Buy things that make you smile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
Guessing it's around an '03. I had a different model with that same paint scheme. Enjoy, they're a blast!

Attachment 75537
It's a 2002, looking forward to some time in the seat. Of course that might be in the spring at this point..

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
That's a race bike! I couldn't afford to maintain it or drive with my head belly button high all the time, but it sure does look like a hoot. It's an official "head-turner." I really like the faring too.
Yea, I hear all those points.. haha! Fortunately this will be a weekend toy, and I do all my own maintenance work, so the upkeep shouldn't be too bad.

Thanks for all the encouraging posts!

Looking forward to being the guy in full race leathers at Starbucks on the weekends.. haha

2008 Versys 650

Been riding 8 or 9 years, and have owned 8 or 9 bikes; its an addiction I can't quit...
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 11:28 AM

You have a Beautiful Bike, I love Ducati.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 01:06 PM

When was the last time your valves were adjusted?

I've got to get my Vs. 650's valves adjusted in a few thousand miles: the only downside of 4 valve 4-strokes
BUT, they are extra zippy when they all ALL set, esp. exhausts to maximum intervals

Enjoy your race-bike and drive SAFE!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Yea, this only a Desmo 2-valve motor, supposedly the belts were change 3k miles ago... but this winter i'll most likely change the belts and check the valves anyway.

That's really what winter is for, right?

2008 Versys 650

Been riding 8 or 9 years, and have owned 8 or 9 bikes; its an addiction I can't quit...
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantAntCowboy View Post
Yea, this only a Desmo 2-valve motor, supposedly the belts were change 3k miles ago... but this winter i'll most likely change the belts and check the valves anyway.

That's really what winter is for, right?

I always wondered what you guys did during the Winter
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Are you calling me a Ducati guy? Haha

I was just referring to motorcycle maintenance in general; I have plenty of motorcycle projects, even without the Duc...

2008 Versys 650

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 10:55 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I love the Ducatis..yours looks especially nice...I'd get one (Hyperstradas with off road equipment are HOT)..BUT (and I'm sure you know this)..the service intervals are EXPENSIVE..and you have to do them or they blow...the Scrambler has caught my eye more than once..my wallet says "no you don't"...
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadams66 View Post
I love the Ducatis..yours looks especially nice...I'd get one (Hyperstradas with off road equipment are HOT)..BUT (and I'm sure you know this)..the service intervals are EXPENSIVE..and you have to do them or they blow...the Scrambler has caught my eye more than once..my wallet says "no you don't"...
Thanks. and yea, if I bought a Ducati without knowing about the required service I'd be in trouble! haha

This is one of the 2 valve motors which are less doomed to catastrophic failure than their 4 valve siblings. But it's still an interference engine that relies on fresh belts to keep it from blowing up.

Fortunately I do all my own work and belts are fairly inexpensive. I also used to own a Porsche 944, if that means anything to anyone...

2008 Versys 650

Last edited by GiantAntCowboy; 11-10-2015 at 09:49 AM.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 10:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Nice. Three of us rode last week to go up to Competition Accessories in Springfield, OH. where the closest Ducati dealership is located, and took a long look and sat on the Scrambler, and am serious about one of those to keep the V company later next year. However, If I could get a steal on a used Hypermotard or the smaller Monster, that Scrambler may have to become my 3rd bike.

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 01:39 PM

Nice Duc for sure, love that sound.

I had the fever too last year and bought this R6 and I'm 59yrs old, go figure. Nothing like the sound of a inline four with a good exhaust.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0978.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	75801  

Sold 2005 honda vtx 1300 bought an '09 versys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by s102000; 11-12-2015 at 01:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode