2009 Honda CBR 600RR - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
2009 Honda CBR 600RR

I keep thinking I want to sell my V and get a sportbike, but I finally got the rear suspension setup properly and that has helped, I also wish the V had a lower center of gravity, not sure if I like having to lean over so far if that makes any sense. Anyway did any of ya'll come off sport bikes, are they as fun as they look?

Bikes:
2011 Kawasaki Versys (expected soon
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 Triumph Speedmaster (current)
2007 Buell XB STT Lightning (Sold)
2009 Kawasaki Versys (Sold)
2008 Harley Fatbob (Current)
2007 Triumph Speedmaster (Sold)
2008 Kawasaki Versys (Sold)
2008 Yamaha Raider (Sold)
2008 Suzuki M109R (Sold)
2006 Yamaha Warrior (Sold)
2004 Triumph America (Sold)
2002 Suzuki DRZ400S (Sold)
1972 Kawasaki 100 Enduro (Sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds like someone is Bi-curious....

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 09:38 AM

Sportbikes are a lot of fun...for about two hours at a time. I had an 01 F4I and then an 07 ZX6R, both great motorcycles and plenty fast. Here's the difference "on the street" between the Versys and your standard 600cc sportbike. There is a sweeping turn that leads to my house, it's literally 500 feet after the exit from the highway, so you basically have an off ramp into an on ramp. On a 600cc sportbike I can take that turn at about 75 mph, on the Versys I have to dial it down to 65 mph...that in one analogy is the sum of differences. The sportbike will give you that on rails feeling in turns. Below a 100 mph that's basically the only benefit of a true sportbike in my mind. The advantages of the Versys over the sportbike meanwhile are numerous and have been well documented. Now, over a 100 mph and especially 130+ all the rules change, but if your going that fast on public roads regularly then you need to invest in a track bike.

Mike

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

I rarely go over a 100! My main concern with the V, is it sits up so high, and I have already done the lowering kit. When I jump on my cruisers, I really enjoy the low center of gravity......................

Bikes:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Suzuki M109R (Sold)
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANYONWLF7 View Post
I keep thinking I want to sell my V and get a sportbike, but I finally got the rear suspension setup properly and that has helped, I also wish the V had a lower center of gravity, not sure if I like having to lean over so far if that makes any sense. Anyway did any of ya'll come off sport bikes, are they as fun as they look?
Yes I came off several sportbikes, and I had 2 07 600rr's same geometry as the 09.

Short list of the Sportbikes I have had:

03 BlackBird
06 GSXR 1000 2 of these actually
06 GSXR 600
06 CBR 1000
07 CBR 600RR 2 of these also
06 CBR 600rr Track/Street

Your comment about lean angle, I think you will feel like you are leaning more with the Sport bike than the Versys. It felt that way to me. On the Versys I do not feel like I am leaning at all, and most of the time I am hanging off the bike and still dragging the pegs.

For the money you will be hard pressed to find an all around bike better than the VS. I just got back from 3 days of riding in AR, and one day was almost 400 miles. I could have gone atleast another 200 before getting tired.

I am on my second Versys, hastily sold the first one thinking I needed more power (Bandit 1250S) I was wrong, I will take a lighter bike over Hp any day especially riding the twisty roads.

Now if your plan is to get serious at the track, then by all means it will be hard not to go full Sport bike. But let me say I did a track day with my 08 and I was passing a lot of people in the turns. Pretty embarrassing for the liter bikes to get passed by a VS and waving at them going by. Of course they could get that lead back in the straights, but I was on top of them again in the turns.

Those Hondas are great bikes and very confidence inspiring. You cant go wrong with one, but for me my money is on the VS.

Todd
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

I guess I don't mean the lean angle, but the center of gravity, the V seems top heavy to me, but I have two cruisers to compare it to, how does the power stack up against the V?

Bikes:

2008 Suzuki M109R (Sold)
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANYONWLF7 View Post
I guess I don't mean the lean angle, but the center of gravity, the V seems top heavy to me, but I have two cruisers to compare it to, how does the power stack up against the V?
Well the CBR's will definitely be more powerful, but most of that torque and power come on in higher revs. You need to be willing to ride it in the upper RPM range to make it go. Not as bad as the R6's though.

You are right the VS is a little top heavy full of fuel, but as soon as it is moving that goes away fast.

When I go riding with my Sport bike buddies I am always the one leading them. They laughed at me at first and asked what I was thinking buying the Vs, until the first time we rode together. Then it was wow that thing handles like a sport bike, but you look like you are not even trying.

Even the CBR will not feel like the cruiser in Weight distribution. I am 6' 190# and can ride a current sport bike over 400 mile days. And the riding I do mostly in AR in the twisty roads, I will take the VS over the CBR any day and make it out handle the CBR especially in the tight stuff. There is a Road in AR 123, that has 10 mph switchbacks and steep. I did this road this past week with a buddy on a KTM 690, and was pulling him all the time. After owning several Sportbikes, I think the VS turns quicker.

If you are pretty sure of getting a new Sport bike also look at the 09 ZX6R it is actually a better bike than the 09/10 CBR, it has the latest in suspension. Supposedly Honda Detuned the 09/10 models for some strange reason.

Todd
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 10:26 AM

I second the comment about feeling like your leaning even less on the V. One of the things I love is that you can roll through turns on the V just leaning your weight a little and it's a very smooth feeling. The sportbike is more of a precision feel I guess? Where your leaning off the bike and out towards the mirror, it's very calculated and deliberate movements. The power delivery is completely different, apples and oranges. The V has a usable power band, but if you can keep the sportbike above 9000 rpm the power delivery is downright violent, even moreso on the liter bikes. My time on the sportbike basically consisted of riding through back country roads the same way I do on the V, only with a lot of discomfort, with the occasional sprint up to some ridiculous speed. You can never ride the bike to it's full potential on public roads (not without great risk at least) and you instantly become a target of police...everywhere. This post is getting long but one more thing. I ride through a town called Sperryville in VA, it's at the base of a very popular and awesome mountain road. The Sperryville police hang out all over the place handing out tickets. I got pulled over three times up there on the Ninja and F4i, twice for not having a tag light, once because my blinkers didn't meet VA regulations for spacing between them. I've been up there at least 5 times since I've had the V and have gone past police (speeding mind you) and have never gotten a second look. IMO your not missing anything.

Mike
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KawiVA76 View Post
I second the comment about feeling like your leaning even less on the V. One of the things I love is that you can roll through turns on the V just leaning your weight a little and it's a very smooth feeling. The sportbike is more of a precision feel I guess? Where your leaning off the bike and out towards the mirror, it's very calculated and deliberate movements. The power delivery is completely different, apples and oranges. The V has a usable power band, but if you can keep the sportbike above 9000 rpm the power delivery is downright violent, even moreso on the liter bikes. My time on the sportbike basically consisted of riding through back country roads the same way I do on the V, only with a lot of discomfort, with the occasional sprint up to some ridiculous speed. You can never ride the bike to it's full potential on public roads (not without great risk at least) and you instantly become a target of police...everywhere. This post is getting long but one more thing. I ride through a town called Sperryville in VA, it's at the base of a very popular and awesome mountain road. The Sperryville police hang out all over the place handing out tickets. I got pulled over three times up there on the Ninja and F4i, twice for not having a tag light, once because my blinkers didn't meet VA regulations for spacing between them. I've been up there at least 5 times since I've had the V and have gone past police (speeding mind you) and have never gotten a second look. IMO your not missing anything.

Mike
+1 on being invisible to the police!!! I got pulled over once on the V, just to be asked what type of bike it was....lol

I have went past the police doing 80 in 55 and they never look my way.

+1 on not missing the Sport bike or all of the unwanted attention it gets.

Todd
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies, I think I'm starting to see the light, just got the sportbike itch, maybe I'll just keep the V..............................

Bikes:

2008 Suzuki M109R (Sold)
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 10:49 AM

Have you actually gotten to take a test ride on a Super Sport bike yet? The reason I ask this, is it may change your mind really quickly. Sport bikes are comfortable if you are not droning down a highway, if you are constantly moving around setting up for the next turn they are fine. But as a commuter it would get old fast of leaning on your wrist and griping the tank with your knees.

Maybe a better transition to a Super Sport (CBR, ZX6R, GSXR, R6/R1) would be something like a relaxed Sport bike Ninja 650, YZF 600R, F4I. I have a friend that had an F4, loved the bike. But I convinced him that the new then 07 600RR was such an incredible bike he bought one. He has hated that choice ever since. Said it was the most uncomfortable bike he has ever ridden, and just cant ride it with out hurting. He is 10 years younger than I, and has also had a DRZ 400SM.

I would go test ride some different bikes before giving up the old VS.

Out of many bikes I have owned, I can tell you what I have in my garage now is a Dr650 for the adventure stuff and Dirt roads, and the Versys. I feel like I have the best of both worlds with them both. Low cost, Low maintenance and just fun to ride. No I cant do a 100 MPH wheelie wearing sweat pants and a helmet during rush hour traffic. But I can get on the Versys and ride 350 miles to AR from Dallas, and enjoy the twisty roads when I get there. And get around 45 mph while doing it. The best mileage I got with my 07 CBR's on the Street is low 30's using premium fuel.

Todd
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 12:08 PM

I sold a 2008 cbr600rr a little while back to get a versys. The cbr was incredibably smooth and powerfull, on the other hand it wasn't practical at all. Here in oklahoma the raods arent' good enough to get the full benifit of a race bike on the street. I have alot more fun on my versys than i did on the sportbike, but everyone needs to experiment. I sugest you get a cheaper sportbike so you can keep the v then see if you like it as much as you think.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
I sold a 2008 cbr600rr a little while back to get a versys. The cbr was incredibably smooth and powerfull, on the other hand it wasn't practical at all. Here in oklahoma the raods arent' good enough to get the full benifit of a race bike on the street. I have alot more fun on my versys than i did on the sportbike, but everyone needs to experiment. I sugest you get a cheaper sportbike so you can keep the v then see if you like it as much as you think.
I agree.

I've owned a lot of different sport bikes in the past and still have my gsxr1000 2007. but I also have so much fun on the Versys its ridiculous. and the maintenance on the Versys is so low its a win win. Not to mention Insurance! When I added the versys to the multi discount it came out to 60 dollars a year for full coverage. 100/300.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 10:08 PM

OUR VERSYS SEEMS TO BE A TRUELY AMAZING LITTLE PACKAGE. I know I love mine.

Floats like a butterfly...Stings like a bee! SETE!

Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 10:08 PM

I have a Versys, '07 CBR600RR, and a KTM 690SMC. For street riding the Versys can go just as fast, if not faster, than the other bikes 90% of the time. And it's less work to ride too. The CBR is only faster on roads where HP is a big issue.

That said, there are days when screaming around smooth roads at 10k+ RPM is pretty darn exhilarating! I have Helibars on my CBR so it's actually pretty comfy for a sportbike.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 04:02 PM

I don't have my V yet but I will in the next week or so but I can assure you I will be faster on my Honda XR650R supermoto. The XR650R is great. Wheelie in the first 4 gears and will still pull well over 100mph if I ask it too.... I've timed myself on the XR and my SV650 with full ohlins etc and I'm still faster on the XR hanging it out sumo style

A bunch of bikes and not enough space...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode