Why can't I get the Super Tenere out of my head? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Why can't I get the Super Tenere out of my head?

Well?
Answer me, dammit!

I go out to the garage, and stare at my '12 Versys. Sleek. Black. Beautiful. I come in the house, get on the internet, and stare at the Tenere. The 'cycle' repeats itself daily.
Guess I need to cancel my internet.

2012 Versys
2007 Honda VTX 1800C
Sold everything else
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 07:25 PM

It is a nice bike. I like it because of the shaft drive. You can get a new left-over for under $10k.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 07:43 PM

Well, let's see. Here's an answer. The bike has grabbed you by the cojones and won't let go. Resistance is futile! So, to save your sanity, not to mention your cojones, give in - surrender! :

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 08:05 PM

Garage
The super tenere ticks every box for me except one. Don't really love the look. When a slightly used ES come across my path I will see if the ride makes it look more appealing.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 10:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
Well?
Answer me, dammit!

I go out to the garage, and stare at my '12 Versys. Sleek. Black. Beautiful. I come in the house, get on the internet, and stare at the Tenere. The 'cycle' repeats itself daily.
While the Tenere was popular when it was first introduced, if you read the recent magazine comparisons in the hotly contested +1000cc adventure bike category the Super Tenere has been eclipsed by the new KTM 1190, new BMW 1200 GS, new Kawasaki Versys 1000, and a few others. I suspect Yamaha will soon redesign it to be more competitive is this hotly contested segment. As a used bike though I suspect one might be a good value though.

Last edited by twowheels; 08-17-2015 at 10:03 PM.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 11:49 PM

Life is too short and you deserve it.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 12:42 AM
Super Moderator

Not so popular for tour rides here...constant complain on Drive sharft and handling problem. V1000 or a GS1200 is a good choice for high end tour bikes.

BTW , my 09 V does all
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Well?
Answer me, dammit!

I have the same issue! I wish I did not have a test ride with ST. I can't get it out of my head too.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 05:34 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
oh fcuk not you guys too..

Mate has got 2010 Super Tenere and we are planing a 6500km tour to Central Australia.

i've been eyeing an S10 out for the last 3 weeks!!!

never going to get any price like the US guys... sheesh 2013/4 run out for less than US$10K - holly crap. New 2013 are still AU$17890.

Have not ridden one yet.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King.Versys View Post
Life is too short and you deserve it.
Life ain't what's too short, it's my legs. I need a ladder to board it. Once I'm on it though, picking fruit from trees is a breeze.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigitt View Post
oh fcuk not you guys too..

Mate has got 2010 Super Tenere and we are planing a 6500km tour to Central Australia.

i've been eyeing an S10 out for the last 3 weeks!!!

never going to get any price like the US guys... sheesh 2013/4 run out for less than US$10K - holly crap. New 2013 are still AU$17890.

Have not ridden one yet.
A new XT1200ZE Super Ténéré costs 18500 USD here at Turkey
And 2015 Versys ABS is around 10900 USD
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

There is a guy about fifty miles from me that has an '02 BMW R1150RT with 97,000 miles on it, for sale. Pics look very clean. It has Ohlins, Corbin, and a few other trinkets. Tempted to go look at it. Price is quite reasonable, and might scratch my itch for a while.
Funny that I keep my trucks for at least ten years (currently in a base Nissan Titan that I bought new in 2005) but my eye is always wandering when it comes to bikes. A few years ago, between street and dirt, I had eight motorcycles crammed into the garage. All were registered/running and were being used. I have whittled it down to two, but fear that I might start collecting again. Not a terrible disease to have but, it gets expensive and time consuming to maintain all of that crap. Must resist.

2012 Versys
2007 Honda VTX 1800C
Sold everything else
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 02:45 PM

Quote:
There is a guy about fifty miles from me that has an '02 BMW R1150RT with 97,000 miles on it, for sale. Pics look very clean. It has Ohlins, Corbin, and a few other trinkets. Tempted to go look at it. Price is quite reasonable, and might scratch my itch for a while.
Funny that I keep my trucks for at least ten years (currently in a base Nissan Titan that I bought new in 2005) but my eye is always wandering when it comes to bikes. A few years ago, between street and dirt, I had eight motorcycles crammed into the garage. All were registered/running and were being used. I have whittled it down to two, but fear that I might start collecting again. Not a terrible disease to have but, it gets expensive and time consuming to maintain all of that crap. Must resist.
Ah yes. That sounds familiar. I found a '93 BMW K75S a few years ago not three miles from our cabin in a small central Maine town of 330 residents. Just over 52k well cared for miles and very reasonably priced. It followed me home. Funny how that happens.

And the way we address too many motorcycles is by keeping two in Maine and two in San Antonio. So far, so good.

Arion

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 09:19 AM

I just stumbled on a leftover 2013 white super tenere at a local yami dealer. it was parked out front so I talked to the salesman, and he told me they go for 14k but ill let it go for 11. It's brand new, but I think I would rather the V 1000 or the GS for that kind of $$. What do you think?

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
Life ain't what's too short, it's my legs. I need a ladder to board it. Once I'm on it though, picking fruit from trees is a breeze.
I resemble that remark.

Arion

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanThomas View Post
I just stumbled on a leftover 2013 white super tenere at a local yami dealer. it was parked out front so I talked to the salesman, and he told me they go for 14k but ill let it go for 11. It's brand new, but I think I would rather the V 1000 or the GS for that kind of $$. What do you think?
You can get 'em cheaper, less than $10k.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermitty View Post
You can get 'em cheaper, less than $10k.
Agree. There was an update for the 2014 model. They should be making a much sweeter deal for a 2013.

2012 Versys
2007 Honda VTX 1800C
Sold everything else
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 02:59 PM
EHK

Weight is very different from Versy but nice bike. Check video :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sxORhUi4YI
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 09:27 AM

I'd go with a 2014, I'd love to have cruise control in a touring bike. There should be good deals on 2014 considering that the season is about to be over and 2016s are coming.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 07:54 PM

I too, am a closet Tenere admirer. What's not to like? Solid and strong p-twin engine, great Yamaha fit, finish and reliability and a face so good looking, the new Africa Twin stole it.

I could see myself getting one if a steal of a deal came my way...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode