So I bought a thing. - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

So I bought a thing.

My long suffering girlfriend got her motorcycle license over a year ago and we have been looking for a small capacity bike for her since. We have sat on everything, and I mean EVERYTHING! Then we went to visit a friend who just got a job at the new KTM shop in town (Ride On Moto in Winchester VA) and she fell in love with the 390 Duke so after a few weeks of thinking about it we pulled the trigger on it.

I have to say the bike itself is a real giggle and I am really impressed with build quality and what it comes with out of the box. After riding all the other small capacity options the Duke is where its at! We are still breaking it in but if anyone has any questions about it please let me know.

Also, I want to give a huge shout out to Ride On Moto for hooking us up with the bike. I know from past experience that the place is a family business and they were amazing with getting everything taken care of. Even the lady who took care of our title and all of that stuff was more interested in my Cagiva and riding than the check we handed her. The guys there were super awesome and they seem like the kind of guys who are motorcyclists first and foremost.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4625.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	69122   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4626.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	69130   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4627.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	69138  
Jim Nazium likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 04:22 PM

so that photo sequence is a ride to Oz & back?
I keep looking at these guys
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 04:39 PM

Excellent choice!

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 05:53 PM

Garage
I am interested in the duke 390, but I won't buy a bike without a test ride. Local guy won't allow it. He even got a consignment bike that the buyer returned at 85 miles. That makes me want to ride before I buy even more. The owner of the bike won't allow a test ride according to the shop.
Oh well. Enjoy your new ride.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 06:55 PM

Nice choice! I'm guessing the third photo is how it looks "Down Under."

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
Nice choice! I'm guessing the third photo is how it looks "Down Under."

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Sorry about the upside down photos guys. I don't know what happened. They were upright when I uploaded them. Weird.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I am interested in the duke 390, but I won't buy a bike without a test ride. Local guy won't allow it. He even got a consignment bike that the buyer returned at 85 miles. That makes me want to ride before I buy even more. The owner of the bike won't allow a test ride according to the shop.
Oh well. Enjoy your new ride.
That's a bummer man! I am the exact same way. The dealership we went to had one out on the floor as a tester. Maybe try asking the dealer to call the owner and see if he will let a "serious customer" ride it. At 85 miles its not even broken in yet. If your anywhere near Winchester VA stop into my guys and take one for a spin. They also have some RC390's as well. Usually when I go into a dealership to test ride I wear nice clothes and have my check book hanging out of my shirt pocket. When I go to buy I wear work jeans and a food stained t-shirt. Sometimes I get completely different treatment and pricing.

As for the bike, if you like riding small capacity bikes, it rates high on my list. I think the cbr500 is a better bike if you wanted to do more miles but it didn't fit my girl friend. Also the Duke felt nimbler and comes with pirelli's out of the box. Its very playful compared to the others in its class.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 05:04 PM

Garage
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 07:03 PM

Nice ride!
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 07:48 PM

I thought you meant a VW Thing by the subject line.

http://www.flickriver.com/groups/631...l/interesting/

Nice ride.

2008 Versys-sold
2016 Yamaha FJ-09
1988 Honda Hawk GT NT650

Truth
It is more important now than ever.

Last edited by Ziggy; 08-08-2015 at 07:50 PM.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 09:05 PM

Garage
I found another dealer that also had a used one with 100 miles on it. Starting to wonder why. They let me take it for a spin. It was a hoot to ride, but I couldn't tuck my knees in behind the tank with my armored riding pants.

I am looking for a light bike that I can put in the back of the truck when on work trips soit the opportunity to ride some cool roads comes up, I will have the bike to do it.

Did that with my KLX250S, but it was pushing that bike the max on some roads I traveled.

I might look at the cb500f. Kind of like the paint scheme. Need to find out the curb weight

My Versys Travels:

post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-09-2015, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I found another dealer that also had a used one with 100 miles on it. Starting to wonder why. They let me take it for a spin. It was a hoot to ride, but I couldn't tuck my knees in behind the tank with my armored riding pants.

I am looking for a light bike that I can put in the back of the truck when on work trips soit the opportunity to ride some cool roads comes up, I will have the bike to do it.

Did that with my KLX250S, but it was pushing that bike the max on some roads I traveled.

I might look at the cb500f. Kind of like the paint scheme. Need to find out the curb weight
420 pounds.
http://powersports.honda.com/2015/cb...fications.aspx

No matter where you go - there you are.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-09-2015, 07:15 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
I thought you meant a VW Thing by the subject line.

http://www.flickriver.com/groups/631...l/interesting/

Nice ride.
I miss my thing

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-09-2015, 09:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kballowe View Post
won't be buying one of those.

My Versys Travels:

post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 03:30 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for sharing.
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 04:16 AM

It's looking quiet good.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 06:54 AM

love the look of those bikes and riding small engined bikes is a lot of fun.

how much do they usually cost? I've never seen one at a local dealer.
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 07:43 AM

That thing looks like a blast to ride. If I didn't do so much highway I would definitely be in the market for a small displacement bike, and the duke would be high on the list.

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 12:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
love the look of those bikes and riding small engined bikes is a lot of fun.

how much do they usually cost? I've never seen one at a local dealer.
It is $5000 plus dealer fees. Those singles do vibrate and make the Versys seem like a Goldwing by comparison. I've seen two used ones with under 100 miles on them already, so that tells you something. Both want $5000 without fees.

If I could have tucked my knees in behind the tank I would have tried to negotiate ownership of one of those bikes.

Needs better rear suspension and some gold valve emulators up front to be a stellar motorcycle. 6000 mile valve checks so wouldn't want to use it as a commuter.

My Versys Travels:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode