I may have to sell my Versys... - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 07:44 AM Thread Starter

I may have to sell my Versys...

I want this SOoo bad it hurts! Of course I'd have to sell the KLR as well....and the cat, a kidney and who knows what else...

and The rest of the story.

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...africa-twin-45

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 10:27 AM

I have the bug to get another dirt capable bike, as I consider the Versys to be as dirt capable as my GSX-R; The AT looks like it could make for a good replacement of a F800GS sans BMW nonsense.

Three things that I have yet to hear about it:

1. Is the suspension adjustable?
2. Tubeless wheels?
3. Electronics package.

Tube type wheels are a deal breaker for me. Having a tube blow out on the interstate while doing 75mph is not my idea of fun. Then, to make it more fun, once you've got clean underwear, you'll have to break the bead and dismount the tire off the wheel to get to said tube, all this while you are by the side of the road. Seriously, once I knew the bliss of tubeless tires and plug kits I'm not going back.

The adjustable suspension is almost a given, S10 and V-Strom 1000 have it, but there are odd balls like the F800GS that doesn't have adjustable forks...
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 11:01 AM

Low front fender makes it iffy for adventure touring unless you stay on pavement.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 12:24 PM

I can see you haven't done much adventure touring or never encountered a muddy road.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermitty View Post
I can see you haven't done much adventure touring or never encountered a muddy road.
There are probably very few people on this forum who've done more adventure touring than jdrocks.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 02:05 PM

Maybe our definition of adventure touring differs.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
I want this SOoo bad it hurts! Of course I'd have to sell the KLR as well....and the cat, a kidney and who knows what else...

and The rest of the story.

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...africa-twin-45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
I want this SOoo bad it hurts!
That is a cool machine. I'm not much on the dirt thing, but it's good to see Honda getting back in the game and innovating.

As to the low fender thing, it's been awhile since I rode dirtbikes, but can the poster who thinks a low fender is a good thing on such a bike esplain how the mud doesn't get logged up in between the tires and fender?

I always assumed that was why dirt bikes had high fenders. Why would a low fender be preferable for such a thing?
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 03:47 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Süsser Tod View Post
I have the bug to get another dirt capable bike, as I consider the Versys to be as dirt capable as my GSX-R; The AT looks like it could make for a good replacement of a F800GS sans BMW nonsense.

Three things that I have yet to hear about it:

2. Tubeless wheels?
3. Electronics package.

Tube type wheels are a deal breaker for me. Having a tube blow out on the interstate while doing 75mph is not my idea of fun. Then, to make it more fun, once you've got clean underwear, you'll have to break the bead and dismount the tire off the wheel to get to said tube, all this while you are by the side of the road. Seriously, once I knew the bliss of tubeless tires and plug kits I'm not going back.

The adjustable suspension is almost a given, S10 and V-Strom 1000 have it, but there are odd balls like the F800GS that doesn't have adjustable forks...
Looks like tubes in this one.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
the new AT is not a dirtbike.
True that. I haven't seen much I'd call a dirt bike over 250cc, even the 450cc are too much.

The low fender doesn't mean a thing to me. Ride a KLR with a high fender in a wicked cross wind and you'd WANT a low fender.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
the new AT will weigh over 500# wet, maybe closer to 550. add all the accessories normally required for "adventure touring" and the bike will weigh over 600. add all the gear commonly carried by the "adventure touring" rider and the bike will weigh closer to 700#. add the weight of the rider and you're over 800, maybe over 900# combined.

while it's possible to encounter gumbo mud that will foul a low fender and prevent the front wheel from turning, i'll suggest that you won't find an AT rider dumb enough to ride past the "Impassable when Wet" sign and into that type of road condition with 8-900# of bike and rider. for the type of road found the other 99.9999% of the time, the low fender helps keep the mud and spray off the bike and rider, especially important in the US and Canada where soil binders are used on the gravel roads. highly corrosive on the bike, and very tough to remove from riding gear.

the new AT is not a dirtbike.

i do run a low fender on my Versys, even more important on a moto with a transverse mounted radiator. the fender is mounted 25mm above the tire.

the Versys isn't a dirtbike either.
Kewl, now can you tell me why the guys commenting on this bike are saying that Honda wanted it to appeal to off roaders by making tube tires a selling point? Why would one want tubes in the dirt? I thought tubes were used because spoked rims weren't generally air tight until BMW and Yami came out with their designs. I had no idea they were desirable for anything.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 06:49 PM

Spoked wheels are more forgiving of hard hits and are easier to straighten if bent.

Sometimes stopping for mud is not an option. We came across a couple of BMW types who had fried their clutches because of jammed front wheels.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 08:13 PM

Just 4 bolt hold on the Versys fender, all easy to get at.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 09:09 PM

back when i had a transalp and a vfr, i dreamed of a bike like the former with a motor like the latter. KTM built it with their 950 but i wouldn't want that bike under me while i'm carrying a passport. the BMW and Triumph 800s are great too, but same problem, i'd prefer a Japanese bike. so here it is and i have the hots for the white one. not perfect, though. i'd give away some motor if that would save a few pounds, but i can't afford it right now anyway. money in the bike is money not available for gas, food and lodging. so i'll save some money buy throwing money at Versys. it won't be as good offroad, but should be good enough, and will weigh a touch less. maybe by the time i'm ready for something different, Yamaha will have built a proper Tenere around their parallel 700.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>

Last edited by kevrider; 07-25-2015 at 09:14 PM.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Süsser Tod View Post
2. Tubeless wheels?
3. Electronics package.
the fork is fully adjustable. the shock is preload, only. the wheels require tubes, and i agree, that's lame. "Woody" (wheel works) can seal your rims. There is a switchable "torque control" system, along with ABS.

http://www.advpulse.com/adv-bikes/ho...ca-twin-specs/

Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Spoked wheels are more forgiving of hard hits and are easier to straighten if bent.

Sometimes stopping for mud is not an option. We came across a couple of BMW types who had fried their clutches because of jammed front wheels.
I get the spokes, just don't understand why tubes are all the rage. Seems Honda could make a tubless spoked rim these days. There's plenty to copy from.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 09:42 PM

Yeah, spoked tubeless would be the answer. I would prefer an under 400 lbs bike at the expense of hp.

Most of the time I ride a 250 these days.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Yeah, spoked tubeless would be the answer. I would prefer an under 400 lbs bike at the expense of hp.

Most of the time I ride a 250 these days.
i was *this* close to buying one of the Cyclone RX3 machines, even made a deposit. but now i'm riding 2up, so that 250 thumper isn't gonna work. one of the Big 4 should study and copy that concept, and/or the CCM version. A Kawasaki KLE300 twin would be interesting... one lowered to wifey height...?

Suzuki put spoked tubeless on a Wee, so there's no good reason for Honda not to have done it, other than cost control. Not sure that's even a "good" reason, given the volume they will move.

Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 11:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Yeah, spoked tubeless would be the answer....
I converted the spoked-wheels on my old '04 KLR650 to tubeless. Took a few days for completion.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 12:34 AM
Super Moderator

Nice bike , but tubeless, not my cup of tea...too old for that.

Thanks for sharing.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 04:35 PM

Garage
Thumbs down

Quote:
Low front fender makes it iffy for adventure touring unless you stay on pavement.
Quote:
Quote:
Have you ever heard of this little motorcycle race called Dakar?

Here is a pic of the winning bike from this past year. They removed the high fender and replaced it with a low one.....

I culdnt find any pics of mud sections of the race, but I did see them running the low fender on tv in the mud. He seemed to do ok...

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode