Honda Shadow 750 and Suzuki M50 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Honda Shadow 750 and Suzuki M50

So after I got my bike my dad is always watching me leaving ang coming home. He has owned many bikes over his life and decided he wants to get another bike.

There are 2 bikes we have checked out.

06' Honda Shadow 750 Aero, with 2k miles for $4.2k.

05' Suzuki Boulavard M50, with 123 miles for $4.5k.

He really likes the look of the Honda and how it felt sitting in the dealer lot. But he really likes that the Suzuki is basically brand new. Any problems or stuff to look out for on either bike?

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
On the boulavard front the m or muscle bike has not caused to problem with people i know but we went for a c or the classic boulavard and really are having a good time with that, the shadow is also a good bike in my opinion but some of the moere techo members may warn of any issues. So Dad wants get into riding again, that would be good as you both be able to go for a ride.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 12:50 AM

Garage
Get him on a versys too

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people dont have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 02:39 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
My brother got the Honda 750 Aero, Nice bike no problems at all for him. You can get a new 09 for around $6000.00

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 08:49 AM

In my opinion, he won't be happy with the power of those two bikes after 6 months. He will find them lacking since they are small v twins.

I'd go for something bigger engine wise - Just my 2 cents worth.

That being said, my other bike is a honda vtx1300 - very dependable and I have put 43,000 miles on it in the past 4 years.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 09:37 AM

That is what I would say, get the biggest cruiser the manufacturer makes, because its just trade, trade, trade until you have the biggest chunk of motor with cruisers. You'll never hear anyone get creds for a midsize cruizer, just, "oh, mine's just a Sportster", as Dudley says in Wild Hogs.

My Album:
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

they call em chicksters over here
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 11:06 AM

I've known 3 people who had the Shadows. Two traded theirs in for bigger bikes and the last one wants to. All for the same reason, lack of power. I hear that at freeway speeds there is no beans to pass and feels maxed out. Like they could not get out of the way if they wanted to.

Other than that they liked the 750 Shadows, but not enough to hang onto them.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

I agree with you on that score pmac, guys usually trade up to a bigger rig, my wifes C50 was owned by a guy who loved the bike but wanted a bigger unit, I have noticed a few ladies own the 750cc - 800cc cruisers and that suits them but blokes just want more power after a while. my 650cc V blows the 800cc c50 out of the water in idle.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 11:30 AM

the m50 has more power and is FI. I think it is way better looking too and has the inverted front fork. Should be a great buy, i want one
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 01:31 PM

Of the limited number of cruisers I have ridden, I think I preferred the Victory. Too overpriced for my needs, glad I went with the Versys.

My Album:
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 05:47 AM

How tall is your dad?

If he's shorter, he may like the 750. The M50 fits me better at 6', has FI and shaft drive.
My Shadow Spirit killed my back in less than 100 miles.
I did 1000 miles in 23 hrs on my Versys. BIG difference!

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 06:17 AM

I had a '05 Suzuki m50 for three years and 8500miles. If your looking for an affordable cruise this is it. The Suzuki is faster than the Shadow. The m50 has a low maint. shaft drive and runs really nice. 0-60 is not all that fast because of the weight 5.5sec. to 6.0sec.

But the m50 has plenty of torque. If you have any more questions about the Suzuki M50 i'll be glad to answer them.

But i have to say that I like the V better. my wife thinks the M50 looked sexier.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 07:34 PM

An alternative

Not on the list but the V-Star 950 might fit the bill. Too laid-back a ride for me (hence why I'm riding a Versys), but good-looking and seems to have enough snort for the highway. Disclaimer: I only weigh 160-something, so if Dad tips the scales a hundred or so north of that, it might be a different story. Also new last year, so used models may be scarce.

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well he picked up the shadow today and loves it. Spent most of the day riding around. I have not gotten a chance to take it for a spin but will soon.

It was extremely depressing for me when he told me he is paying $80 a year for full collision on it...

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode