My Enfield came in today - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

My Enfield came in today

I had it delivered as I was doing a ton of running this morning and they were calling for rain. They showed up with the bike and the rain was nowhere to be seen so I geared up and went for a ride...all of 30-40mph and did 50 miles with stopped to let the bike cool down. I got some keys made and had people wanting to know "What kind of bike is that?"

The motor's a bit on the "Lumpy" side right yet but I think it'll smooth out with a few miles. The gear box was a surprise in that it was both smooth and quiet, that's right no bang or clank and no missed shifts at all!

Now the brakes...well can't have it all right? The fronts not TOO bad about 1st gen KLR power. the rear...I think there's a rear. My foot ran out of travel before the brake kicked in so I gotta do some adjusting.

Well here's a photo, see it did happen!

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015, 10:19 PM

Garage
Looks like a conversation starter. I was eyeing the continental GT before I found MT Moto Guzzi cafe.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Nice Cafe putt putt.

I mate had a new Army Matt Green Enfield... motor stayed lumpy.
He rode it like a motard... i was surprised how well it went - that or he was wringing the neck out of it on the limit!

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 01:34 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
thumpers never get smooth..... just a FYI

and i think thats sexy... id love to ride it... need to paint so white walls on ittho

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 03:25 AM

So, it starts and runs? What year is that thing? What's its displacement?
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 05:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
So, it starts and runs? What year is that thing? What's its displacement?
Starts right up and run nicely, sounds great even with the Bazooka exhaust pipe. Nice mellow Thump thump thump going down the road. It's all about low end power in a thumper never try to rev it up...it'll shake you to death!

It's either a 1955 or a 2015 Depends on if you want to know when it was designed OR when it was built. Still making them just in India now not England.

Its a 500 with a 5 speed trans. Notice it has a kickstarter, also electric for when I'm feeling lazy.

BTW It's a toy, the first street bike I have ever bought that I knew was a toy and never going to be more, I have no real plans to do much adding on or upgrading to it. I am playing with the idea of a sidecar in a couple of years...maybe. The Versys and KLR will still be my main rides with this little guy being a "Sunday Afternoon" bike.

2012 650 Versys
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
I had it delivered as I was doing a ton of running this morning and they were calling for rain. They showed up with the bike and the rain was nowhere to be seen so I geared up and went for a ride...all of 30-40mph and did 50 miles with stopped to let the bike cool down. I got some keys made and had people wanting to know "What kind of bike is that?"
Congrats. I expect you'll be doing a lot of esplaining at gas stops.

Ergos look good on it. The seat looks more comfy than more retro units.

As someone else said, thumpers ain't never gonna be smooth. My first two bikes were thumpers. Never bothered me at the time. In fact, until I got my third bike, a Nighthawk 700, I never realized bike engines could be relatively smooth. One of my first motorcycle "ah ha" moments.

I hope they've improved the kick starters over the years. When I had my old XL350, I had a permanent bruise on my calf where that thing would slap me back after every kick...sometimes many. Not sure my lame leg could muster the strength to do that anymore.

Enjoy. Hope you buy a couple leather saddlebags, some googles, and ride it across the country and sell your story to Rider. Be a fun read.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 07:27 AM

Congrats! I love the looks of the Enfields. I would love to ride one someday. I also completely understand having a "toy" bike just to ride around town. Enjoy the new ride!!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 11:01 AM

5(?) brakes to bleed, 3 batteries to keep charged, 6 tires to keep fresh, ... 2 bikes is easy to get but hard to keep safely maintained, but more than that? One guy had about 7 bikes, but i would not feel too safe riding any of them. It's hard to keep one bike safely maintained for me to ride expressway speeds on.

I've got a 1997 BMW F650ST thump now I don't know what to do with: invest a couple of thousand dollars to get it back in running condition and start a continual stream of costs, or cut my losses and run? I'd rather live next door to you Time and ride one of your exotic bikes once a month, ha ha. That would also help you keep your bikes running like they should be by being ridden! By chance, do you want a pristine Rotax single cylinder 1997 BMW 650ST?

I bet the Enfield is a dream to ride though. Drive Safe!

Last edited by kawdog; 06-14-2015 at 11:09 AM.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 11:55 AM

New Enfields aren't really that old, the new unit construction engine was designed a few years ago and they have EFI.

Now, on the rear brake, see how the pedal goes under the muffler? Well, forget about using it while leaning to the right, you'll scrape the hell out of it.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Süsser Tod View Post
New Enfields aren't really that old, the new unit construction engine was designed a few years ago and they have EFI.

Now, on the rear brake, see how the pedal goes under the muffler? Well, forget about using it while leaning to the right, you'll scrape the hell out of it.
So you'd think but the motor is not that different other than the case and oil pump. FI can be added to almost anything these day. The crank, rod and piston is very much like the older units, no counter balancers here. Still a chain primary drive as well. I think what was done was done for pollution reasons more than anything else. RE is looking ahead with a clearer view than Kawasaki is with the KLR.

2012 650 Versys
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
Congrats! I love the looks of the Enfields. I would love to ride one someday. I also completely understand having a "toy" bike just to ride around town.
+1 all of that. she's a beaut, congrats!

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 07:50 PM

Quote:
So you'd think but the motor is not that different other than the case and oil pump. FI can be added to almost anything these day. The crank, rod and piston is very much like the older units, no counter balancers here. Still a chain primary drive as well. I think what was done was done for pollution reasons more than anything else. RE is looking ahead with a clearer view than Kawasaki is with the KLR.
Is that a whipper-snapper front disk brake I see? Are you going faster than feet-dragging speeds will allow to slow down safely?

They are actually great looking bikes at a reasonable price.

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
Is that a whipper-snapper front disk brake I see? Are you going faster than feet-dragging speeds will allow to slow down safely?

They are actually great looking bikes at a reasonable price.

I looked at the Continental but after sitting on it I know my back would hate my guts! Getting old bites...but it's better than the alternatives!

I saw a old bike, at a show NOT on the road, that had a "Shoe Brake" that's a little metal plate that rubs on the tire to slow you down!

2012 650 Versys
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 09:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
5(?) brakes to bleed, 3 batteries to keep charged, 6 tires to keep fresh, ... 2 bikes is easy to get but hard to keep safely maintained, but more than that? One guy had about 7 bikes, but i would not feel too safe riding any of them. It's hard to keep one bike safely maintained for me to ride expressway speeds on!

Don't worry. I won't let you ride one anyway. My bikes are all well maintained. Probably more so than many who only ride one bike. I do average 25,000 miles a year s they all get ridden.

My Versys Travels:

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Don't worry. I won't let you ride one anyway. My bikes are all well maintained. Probably more so than many who only ride one bike. I do average 25,000 miles a year s they all get ridden.
I wasn't talking about you, but unless you own a motorcycle shop, it takes a lot more than riding a bike an average of 3,500 miles a year to keep them in good maintenance. Be careful! One glitch on one bike at any time is all it takes. Good luck and stay away from busy expressways.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 04:22 AM Thread Starter

I ride 15,000-20,000 a year and all my bikes are well taken care of. I keep maintenance logs on each one and do a weekly check as well as a pre-ride check. It's not hard to take care of more than one and not much more time if you plan things out.

I have more of a problem remembering to take the right paperwork for the right bike at times so now I carry all of it for all the bikes in my coat all the time. And standing in the garage to go for a ride on the KLR with the Versys keys will make me wonder what I'm doing at times.

2012 650 Versys
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 05:32 AM

The design and development work for Royal Enfield has moved to England. The manufacturing remains in India. There are lots about here (Scotland) used for exactly what you plan to do, relaxing, leisurely ride outs.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 10:23 AM

Garage
Quote:
I ride 15,000-20,000 a year and all my bikes are well taken care of. I keep maintenance logs on each one and do a weekly check as well as a pre-ride check. It's not hard to take care of more than one and not much more time if you plan things out.

I have more of a problem remembering to take the right paperwork for the right bike at times so now I carry all of it for all the bikes in my coat all the time. And standing in the garage to go for a ride on the KLR with the Versys keys will make me wonder what I'm doing at times.
I keep copies of the paperwork (registration, insurance, license) on one sheet on each bike. Tucked away in a water resistant bag. Not good when you have luggage piled up on the passenger seat and the paperwork is under the seat. Fortunately, the officer was only writing a warning and didn't make me unpack to see the paperwork. I mean, how much faster can you go on a two lane that already has a speed limit of 75 MPH?

Keys are in a lock box in the shop so always have the right key for the bike.

My Versys Travels:

post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 10:27 AM

Garage
Quote:
I wasn't talking about you, but unless you own a motorcycle shop, it takes a lot more than riding a bike an average of 3,500 miles a year to keep them in good maintenance. Be careful! One glitch on one bike at any time is all it takes. Good luck and stay away from busy expressways.
I am well aware of what it takes to maintain a bike. I do all my own maintenance and when I get tired of working for the man I may open my own shop where I buy/fix/sell, and do some work for others short of an engine rebuild.

Also thinking about a motorcycle rest stop and BBQ since about a hundred bikes pass by my house every weekend.

My Versys Travels:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode