Previous life on a KLR picture thread. - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Previous life on a KLR picture thread.

I know some of us came from the rolling wood splitter world of the infamous KLR 650, out of respect, (or disrespect?) I thought some might like to post some pics of their beloved Thailand Cadillac's.

The 2009 I had, 34,000 miles in three ride seasons, she was good to me but she liked it rough...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 10:21 AM

I'm on my second KLR, love them. They have taken me and momma all over this beautiful country.

Dan
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 11:04 AM

From James Bay to Georgia, It's been there!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	skyway1.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	66025   Click image for larger version

Name:	klrtellico2014.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	66033   Click image for larger version

Name:	klrarctic.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	66041  

'82 XV920: Soon to be tracker--
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

--'00 KLR685:adv
--'12 Super Ténéré
--'13 Versys (wifes other bike!)

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 11:44 AM

Still have it. Still ride it. ...but not if I'm going somewhere more than 4 hours away.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	klr650-06-mm.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	66049  
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 01:03 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
i did not have a KLR i came from an ATK befor i got my versys but have seen a few klr's in my area and i like them
if i did more offroading i would defiantly go for the klr over kle

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 03:58 PM

Miss mine, and will probably get another someday.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	66057  

2012 Versys
2007 Honda VTX 1800C
Sold everything else
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 05:16 PM

I had a 'C' model from 2003 until 2009.

I still miss that bike a lot, but there was not much available in the way of accessories for it on this side of the pond. Almost everything had to be built, a "universal" part, or ordered from Europe. Now if Kawasaki ever gets around to putting the Versys engine into a KLR-style bike, I'll be one of the first ones in line to get it.

Darn it, just checked the local classifieds, and it's up for sale by the current owner (still has the reflective tape on it). Have to talk to the wife to see if she'd tolerate having it back....

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)

Last edited by DaveC; 06-12-2015 at 05:24 PM.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I really like the look of the first gen KLR, and still long for the army green one...

Great pics you guys, the first gen's were/are great. It was function over comfort, but the next gen was only somewhat better in that respect...

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015, 04:30 PM

Garage
I wish I had never sold mine. I could not build another one for what I bought mine for. I just wasn't comfortable with it over 65 mph. It could do it, but the sweet spot was 55 mph where the bike just felt like it could go all day.

My Versys Travels:

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
... I just wasn't comfortable with it over 65 mph. It could do it, but the sweet spot was 55 mph where the bike just felt like it could go all day.
All true. When I take my KLR650 out, I plan to not use Interstates or toll roads. I take two lane and local roads. I also try to plan things so that I'm not where the traffic is during commuting time. That won't work well around L.A., San Francisco, Boston, New York, Washington D.C. or other urban megalopolis sprawl, but does work most everywhere else. ...and there is no access to the back roads from an Interstate (mostly.) This usually adds about 20% riding time to any significant trip, but mostly it's worth taking the indirect route. The goal when I'm on the KLR is the trip and not the destination. Might cost me an extra $7 a day which is simply a minor farkle delay, and I usually find better places to eat.

...but then I seem to operate that way when riding the Versys as well.

If I had to commute, it would be on the Versys or something else.

I don't have too many bikes--Another half dozen would still be not too many bikes; it would be not enough garage space.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20050609-knox-bridge-2-web.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	66249  

Last edited by bike19; 06-13-2015 at 05:08 PM.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Great stories you guys. I too was fine taking the "slow way" or the long way most anywhere. I coaxed a few happier MPH out of her eventually with a fork brace and a lower non-KLR fender, and it helped a lot.

This was a swing around the Great Lakes, about two months after I had gotten the bike in 2010.

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015, 09:02 PM

I still have and ride the daylights out of The Fat Little Pig. It and the Versys make great stable mates, they cover each others back well I think. Now the Royal Enfield is another matter...more or less just along for the ride.

Here's The Pig in all it's glory!

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Fork brace and ditched the stock "snoodle fender"

yep, I seen what ya dun there. It makes a big difference in a good way.

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unstable_rider View Post
Fork brace and ditched the stock "snoodle fender"

yep, I seen what ya dun there. It makes a big difference in a good way.

You DON'T see the Moab shock or CD fork springs and Racetech emulators They make a bigger difference!

2012 650 Versys
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I have lots of ammunition as far as KLR pics.
I really bonded with the one I "operated". I say "operated" as the KLR is like farm machinery, you operate a tractor, you ride motorcycles.

I expect in some third world country they are powering a generator or something from a vintage KLR, and probably dang happy to have it.

Back to you guys.

Another shot where as I pulled the camera from the tank bag- engine still running and captured what I was experiencing at the time, a wonderful day.

post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 04:20 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by unstable_rider View Post
Great stories you guys. I too was fine taking the "slow way" or the long way most anywhere. I coaxed a few happier MPH out of her eventually with a fork brace and a lower non-KLR fender, and it helped a lot.
I am referring to the engine, not the rest of the bike. Mine had race-tech front end and cogent moab rear shock. Even with d606 tires it had very sporty handling.

I just felt like the engine was working too hard at higher speeds. My '08 never used oil in the 12,000 miles I had it. When my neighbor bought it and started commuting 60 miles one way it started using oil.

If Kawasaki would but the Versys engine in a KLR chassis, I would be interested. Or a modern high revving thumper like the KTM 690.

My Versys Travels:

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
If Kawasaki would but the Versys engine in a KLR chassis, I would be interested. Or a modern high revving thumper like the KTM 690.
The old horse maybe slow but I worry that a new motor might change the personality of the bike so much as to forgo the great traits it has. One is long life and I have a bud with another brand that will runs circles around me BUT he's had to overhaul it twice in 50,000 miles. I hear of KLRs having over 100,000 miles on them and still running strong.

Guess it's a matter of "Ya pays your money ya make your choice".

2012 650 Versys
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Great commentary guys, no right or wrong answers on this one. The KLR, much like the Versys, is the bike made reliable (or memorable) by it's owner. It's like getting a basic Willy's jeep, and the rest is up to you.

Mine went through many phases and a color change as well. I love to have one bike ripped apart while keeping one together to ride. The KLR was good to me, and I enjoyed the modifications and tweaking. When your thousands of miles away from home, and your riding along with 34-37 hp. and one cylinder, there is something cool or freeing with that. Simplistic.

Or like someone once said, the KLR is oddly satisfying, like a cheap taco.

The Echo Trail out of Ely, Minnesota near our boundary/border waters between the Minnesota and Canada. Miles of great gravel to explore, zig zagging around lakes that see very little fishing pressure and places to camp. Can't wait to re-visit some of these places with the Versys.

Last edited by unstable_rider; 06-20-2015 at 09:46 PM.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 09:13 PM

Garage
Yes. Something to be said for simplistic. Trying to get a test ride on a triumph trophy se. The exact opposite of simplistic.

My Versys Travels:

post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

That's their touring set up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode