Time for an oil change... - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 1,647
Time for an oil change...

On a friends BMW 1200RT. She was quoted over $200.00 for a change and she's going through tough time do to a divorce so I told her to ride over and I'd teach her how. She picked up the supplies we need as there's no BMW dealer here.

So I went online to see what there was to see and you need a special oil filter wrench to get the filter off. AND another special tool to get the filler plug out so you can add oil back in. Other than that it looks straightforward I even got the torque specs for the plug and filter, right inline with the Versys.

The one nice thing here is the RT has a center stand! So that little bit will help. I'll have to teach her how to get the bike on the stand, if I can remember the trick myself!

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


2012 650 Versys
Time is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 07:39 PM
Member
 
saddlebag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Eutopia
Posts: 1,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
On a friends BMW 1200RT. She was quoted over $200.00 for a change and she's going through tough time do to a divorce so I told her to ride over and I'd teach her how. She picked up the supplies we need as there's no BMW dealer here.

So I went online to see what there was to see and you need a special oil filter wrench to get the filter off. AND another special tool to get the filler plug out so you can add oil back in. Other than that it looks straightforward I even got the torque specs for the plug and filter, right inline with the Versys.

The one nice thing here is the RT has a center stand! So that little bit will help. I'll have to teach her how to get the bike on the stand, if I can remember the trick myself!
I rented an RT out in Cali and found out about that silly filler plug when the oil light came on out in BFE. I nursed it for what seemed like forever to a gas station only to find that silly plug standing between my freshly purchased quart of oil and the Beemers sump. I ended up beating it off with a Bic pen and a shoe.

Those damn RTs seem to guzzle oil. I added that quart and by the time I got back to LA less than an additional 1k miles, it was low again.
saddlebag is offline  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 1,647
Got the job done without a problem. The oil filter sure is a funny looking thing short and squat. The sight glass is a pain to see without pulling body work through. She has both the filter wrench and oil filler tool along with 4 qts of BMW oil, filter and the crush washer so we were cooking with gas,

Once we were done we took a ride to look at some of the covered bridges here, great ride just not great riding if you know what I mean. More or less flat and straight roads. I call and she made it home without a problem, I'd taken her halfway home and turned back for home myself.

Nice to help her out, even if she never changes the oil again herself she now knows what's going on and won't be suckered by a crooked shop. She was shocked that is was a simple as it was, I had her do most of the work herself Only things I did was pull the plug and filter as I didn't want her getting all oily from being covered in hot oil. I had her use my torque wrench and even showed her how to set it and she did good.

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


2012 650 Versys
Time is offline  
 
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 07:45 PM
Member
 
saddlebag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Eutopia
Posts: 1,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
Got the job done without a problem. The oil filter sure is a funny looking thing short and squat. The sight glass is a pain to see without pulling body work through. She has both the filter wrench and oil filler tool along with 4 qts of BMW oil, filter and the crush washer so we were cooking with gas,

Once we were done we took a ride to look at some of the covered bridges here, great ride just not great riding if you know what I mean. More or less flat and straight roads. I call and she made it home without a problem, I'd taken her halfway home and turned back for home myself.

Nice to help her out, even if she never changes the oil again herself she now knows what's going on and won't be suckered by a crooked shop. She was shocked that is was a simple as it was, I had her do most of the work herself Only things I did was pull the plug and filter as I didn't want her getting all oily from being covered in hot oil. I had her use my torque wrench and even showed her how to set it and she did good.
You ever wanna take a ride down to Amish country, eastern Ohio, or Hocking Hills, let me know. Plenty of nice riding in certain parts of our state.

I rode over to Portsmouth along 125. It is a fantastic road over by the parks near Portsmouth. Pretty good everywhere really, but the pavement is much newer over there. Came back 73 and 41 which are our Southern Amish stomping grounds. 41 is a very good road for Ohio, but you do have to watch the horse crap in the corners if it hasn't rained in a while.
saddlebag is offline  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 1,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
You ever wanna take a ride down to Amish country, eastern Ohio, or Hocking Hills, let me know. Plenty of nice riding in certain parts of our state.

I rode over to Portsmouth along 125. It is a fantastic road over by the parks near Portsmouth. Pretty good everywhere really, but the pavement is much newer over there. Came back 73 and 41 which are our Southern Amish stomping grounds. 41 is a very good road for Ohio, but you do have to watch the horse crap in the corners if it hasn't rained in a while.
I love "The Hills" and the lady I was helping lives over that way so I'm almost always up for a ride. It's about a 1 1/2-2 hour run from Springfield over but worth it.

As far as the Horse "Exhaust" goes I use to live in Indiana and there was more than enough to go around. I still remember the movie "On Any Sunday" and the ride in the field and all the "Meadow Muffins" they were riding through.

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


2012 650 Versys
Time is offline  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 04:43 AM
Member
 
saddlebag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Eutopia
Posts: 1,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
I love "The Hills" and the lady I was helping lives over that way so I'm almost always up for a ride. It's about a 1 1/2-2 hour run from Springfield over but worth it.

As far as the Horse "Exhaust" goes I use to live in Indiana and there was more than enough to go around. I still remember the movie "On Any Sunday" and the ride in the field and all the "Meadow Muffins" they were riding through.
Are you right close in Springfield? I saw NW Ohio and I was thinking Toledo or something. I'm just SE of Dayton. We'll definitely have to take a putt sometime.

Have you ever ridden the hills on the north side of 70? I bought a bike once off Ebay from a shop up in Massillon Ohio once. My inlaws lived in Newark and I rode down there as my FIL was a bike guy too. The country roads between the two led me thru the prettiest part of Ohio I'd ever seen. The rolling hills out there remind me of a miniature version of the Cali wine country...but with a lot more beards and buggies.

Might be a nice place to take your lady friend. Just get east of Columbus and north of 70 and start hiking the country roads north and east.
saddlebag is offline  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 09:40 AM
Member
 
invader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kapuskasing Ontario Canada
Posts: 7,815
invader is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome