I bought a Yamaha R3 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

I bought a Yamaha R3

Lots of folks have been asking me what my next bike would be. After doing a lot of reading, visiting dealerships and taking a friends R3 out for about 20 minutes putting it through its paces, I made my decision.

It has plenty of pull for my style of riding without being insane fast. It fits me like a glove and has a surprisingly upright riding position for a sport bike. It is the smoothest running twin I have ever ridden, in all RPM ranges.

The entry level rider has never had so many capable smaller cc bikes as there are now. Having read a lot of articles and forum posts from seasoned riders like myself, there are lots of riders coming back to the smaller bikes because they are fun and economical in many ways.

Ride safe folks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
Lots of folks have been asking me what my next bike would be. After doing a lot of reading, visiting dealerships and taking a friends R3 out for about 20 minutes putting it through its paces, I made my decision.
Looks like fun.

I remember riding my 90cc when my brother got a Honda 350. I thought the was the biggest, fastest thing out there. Hell, might have been at the time.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Having read a lot of articles and forum posts from seasoned riders like myself, there are lots of riders coming back to the smaller bikes because they are fun and economical in many ways.
i wandered into a Honda store yesterday, sat on a few bikes. i expected to feel at home when i sat on the new Interceptor, since i put 40 kmi on a '98 VFR. but no, that bikes that felt right were the 300s and 500s and the one that put the biggest grin on my face was the Grom 125.

that R3 looks the biz, it would be an awesome commuter.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
=>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevrider View Post
the bikes that felt right were the 300s and 500s and the one that put the biggest grin on my face was the Grom 125.

that R3 looks the biz, it would be an awesome commuter.
I know exactly what you mean! I love my Grom as well.

post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator

GOOD on ya, Capn!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 05:49 PM

Quote:
I know exactly what you mean! I love my Grom as well.
awesome! i swear it was hard not put one on the credit card and tossed in the back the car. now i'm picturing his-and-hers....

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 07:21 PM

My WR250X makes the Versys feel like a battleship when I get back on it.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 08:50 PM

You will enjoythat I'm sure. I picked up a CBR 250 a couple of years ago. I used the excuse that my youngest daughter had just taken the MSF course and my versys was too tall and heavy for her to really learn on. I ride it all the time for errands and just fun. Haven't seen any R3's around here yet. They sound like a prettty nice machine to me. Enjoy
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 09:04 PM

Garage
Nice. Now you have to hear all the crotch rocket comments.

Did you compare it to the ninja 300?

My Versys Travels:

post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 10:07 PM
MTS

Congrats Capn!!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 10:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
Congrats Capn!!

+1

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 10:52 PM

Good on ya, but don't you miss that neat CRF just a little?

Have big fun!

IBA 12512
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 05:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
GOOD on ya, Capn!
Thanks Eddie!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermitty View Post
My WR250X makes the Versys feel like a battleship when I get back on it.
And the R3 feels big when I hop on from the Grom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimS View Post
You will enjoythat I'm sure. I picked up a CBR 250 a couple of years ago. I used the excuse that my youngest daughter had just taken the MSF course and my versys was too tall and heavy for her to really learn on. I ride it all the time for errands and just fun. Haven't seen any R3's around here yet. They sound like a prettty nice machine to me. Enjoy
Sure will. Most of my riding is quite local now..

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Nice. Now you have to hear all the crotch rocket comments.

Did you compare it to the ninja 300?
I did compare to the ninja 300. There are ABS versions of the ninja and it has a slipper clutch. The R3 has a really upright riding position for a sportbike. I have a friend who bought an R3 so I was able to test ride it vs just sitting on the ninja on the showroom floor. I guess the R3 just spoke to me. It fits me like a glove. What really sold me was how dang smooth this twin is through the entire RPM range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
Congrats Capn!!
Thanks MTS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
+1
Thanks Weljo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpeaux View Post
Good on ya, but don't you miss that neat CRF just a little?

Have big fun!
I really wanted to connect with the CRF250L since I rode a dual sport in the MSF class when I took it with my wife. I don't have anywhere off road to ride nearby and I was thinking it would be more like a little motard to blast around town. Well, it was a well built bike - no issues there. It was just geared very low for off road and was sluggish to throw around the city streets. I just picked the wrong bike for my riding style, I never could " connect" with it like I had hoped. At least I was able to sell it for everything I had in it!
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 09:47 AM

Oooooo shiney!!! Now you need a big neon #46 on the fairings...
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud Muffin View Post
Oooooo shiney!!! Now you need a big neon #46 on the fairings...
I'll just have fun zipping around town and across the nearby mountain roads.
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 01:40 PM

Looks Sweet!
post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron650 View Post
Looks Sweet!
Blue is my favorite color and I have never had a blue bike until now.
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarleau View Post
Congrats on the R3. Great bike.

Captain, I remember reading a post of yours about a year ago about your Grom. I always though it was a foolish little bike. We bought 14 new Groms about a month ago for our Motorcycle School. I'm getting quite used to them now. We can do 2 meter slow speed circles with them. I have grown to love riding it.

I would not mind having one.
Thanks for the grats on the R3!

As for the Grom, you are not by yourself! I have a couple riding friends who thought the same way until I made them ride it. When I rolled it out of the garage, they could not believe just how small it really is. They quickly changed from thinking it is a silly little bike to actually having a fun time and now saying they could see themselves riding their own someday. When my first buddy got back from his joy ride on the Grom, my second buddy laughed at him and told him he looked silly riding it. When my second buddy got done riding it, he had changed his mind and said it was really fun.

My mama always told me "don't knock it till you try it".

The Grom is a mini plain and simple. Most people won't get it because it is so small but those who do seem to have a lot of fun. 125 MPG is a plus as well.

jmarleau, Have you had the opportunity to take one of the Groms out on the street with traffic?
post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

e
Quote:
No. Ours are not plated and have no mirrors. I would think it would make a great city bike.
It is so much fun in speed limits 45 MPH and lower. At 55 MPH speed limits, there is nothing left for hills and passing. I top out ~60 MPH flat and level. I weigh 160 pounds.

Quote:
Last weekend was our third class with the Groms. I am happy to report that these little Hondas are helping to produce some great slow speed riders.

I think they would be awesome bikes for new riders (on a closed course). It has all the controls of a standard MC but none of the weight and intimidation! As for a new rider on the street, the Grom lacks the power to get out of the way so you have to plan ahead for everything which a new rider lacks the skills to do.
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
A video of me pushing through a 12m slalom with the Grom last weekend.

https://youtu.be/7I7lDcW3Fgw
I recognize that exhaust note! Cool vid.. Would be fun to have a race after class with all the instructors! Looks like you have plenty of room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode