Buell?? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Buell??

I just want to get some outside opinions on Buells. What do you guys think about them? Do they hold up or do they have a lot of problems? Do they involve a lot of upkeep?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 06:26 PM

Buells seem to be pretty good but they went out of business so I wonder about being able to get parts over the long haul. I have a friend that just sold his for that reason. He loved the bike how ever and it seemed to be pretty low maintenance and he rode a ton.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

yea i heard that they went out but harley is still making oem parts for them. i Like the versys a lot but i love the sound and looks of the buells

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 06:42 PM

I was looking at the Ulysses before I bought the versys .But even after Buell announced they were going out of business they were still proud of their bikes. About a couple days after Harley made the announcement some dealers were selling 1125s for 4999.00
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Yea i talked to a guy at a dealership and he said they were offering huge incentives on the new bikes
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyledogg88 View Post
Yea i talked to a guy at a dealership and he said they were offering huge incentives on the new bikes
everything that I have read about the ulysses said it is a good bike . I have a 2004 1200 sportster with 36000 miles and it has been a really good bike and easy to do your own maintenance . If the price was right I would of bought a ulysses . But I do like the versys .
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

I would be leaning more towards a firebolt or a lightning if i got one
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
sorry, I don't know to much about either of those models.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 07:49 PM

There is a lot to be said for the V twin. One of the fastest and most competitive bikes on WSBK is a V twin. I do love the looks and the sound of them but the deal breaker for me is that they are no longer a company regardless if HD is still making parts. Remember HD pulled the plug on the bikes whats to say they wont do the same on parts?
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Yea thats true ha
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 10:15 PM

They have to make parts [ I think for 7 years] by law. O want one of the newer ones with the Rotax engine.

81 Honda CB750F with Jupiter sidecar, 82 Honda CB750F, 86 Yamaha Radian, 87 BMW K100RS, 2002 Honda XR 200R, 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250, 2009 Green Versys, 2010 Kawasaki Vukcan 900 Custom
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
The Firebolt and Lightning use a modified 1200 Sportster engine. I don't see you having any problems getting engine parts forever...

Chassis, suspension, brakes, guages, wheels, etc....that's a horse of a different color.

Get one and let us know how much fun you're having.

John in AZ
'08 Versys
'11 Victory Cross Roads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 08:06 PM

I got a used Buell Blast for my girlfriend and even though we've only put on a little over a thousand miles on it I firmly believe that it is a solid bike. I have noticed that parts are already becoming harder to find. HD dealers that sold Buell bikes will be able to get you parts but that is the only place you can rely on getting them. Many sites that I had bookmarked for Blast parts already have a smaller selection or got rid of their Buell section all together. I recently replaced the exhaust on the blast. I almost all of the parts from various websites but I had trouble getting the exhaust studs. Luckily HD uses the same studs and I got them from a local HD dealer. If I had to go to the closest Buell dealer it would have been a 130 mile trip just to get there. The Blast is a great little bike for my girlfriend but I can't see hanging on to it much longer.

Anybody want to buy a 2003 Buell Blast with less than 5,000 miles on it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The things you own end up owning you." - Tyler Durden

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 01:32 PM

Buell

I own a buell ulysses (2006 xb12x) and a Versys. Both are great. Love the power of the buell, easy to work on, easy to maintain. I don't worry about dealer support, I can do anything on there myself. Hydraulic self adjusting valves mean you don't have to tear apart the engine every 15k miles.

Pro:
power
cornering
sound
comfy on highway
easy to maintain

Con:
vibrations at idle (doesn't bother me)
air cooled engine can get warm on right leg (rider comfort kit fixes that)
fan is annoying and runs when you shut the bike off
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 04:54 PM

My brother has a 2006 Uly and has had the following issues:
1) several short circuits and electrical issues from sub standard wire routing (wearing through at friction points, especially around the swingarm). Fixed by replacing wiring where needed and routing it along a more protected path (I'm his wiring guy).
2) After changing exhaust and filter, EFI mapping difficulty issues. (probably a user issue but he had a hard time finding a map that worked and eventually changed back to a slightly modified stock muffler).
3) Throttle position sensor went out. (has it on order now).
All in all he has loved the bike except for the problems. Most of the electronic problems caused surging at low speed. I thought the bike was an absolute hoot to ride before he started modifying it. He maintains that all issues were fixed at the factory during production of all Uly models after 2006.
I might have bought a post 2006 model myself but from my bro's experience, most Harley Dealers wouldn't give a Buell owner the time of day after the sale and that made an impression on me about Buell and HD especially. Since they aren't part of HD anymore, it might not make so much difference but you might still need parts from HD which was already an iffy proposition. I like the Uly but would make another choice.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 09:32 AM

This seems like the appropriate thread.

Anyone has any experience with a Firebolt? I'm thinking of getting one and I would like to know if it is tolerable in heavy city traffic and long trips (800 - 1000km per day).
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 09:50 AM

they are selling 2009 at chandler harley in chandler az for 7000$ give them a call and talk
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skizzo81 View Post
they are selling 2009 at chandler harley in chandler az for 7000$ give them a call and talk
If you were referring to me it wouldn't help much. I'm Greek.

There is a 06 for sale at 4.500 euros which isn't a bad price considering they sell the new ones for 12.700 euros here...

Besides there aren't any stock Firebolts left unsold.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 09:58 AM

i dont know what they are called there but in arizona, usa m they are for sale for $7000 us$ the model here is called 1125CR .... i dont know much else
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 10:31 AM

low speed surging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleeoop View Post

Most of the electronic problems caused surging at low speed.
That problem was fixed in the design of the 2007 ulysses airbox. Get on the net and you can find pics of 07 and later, just whip out a dremel and copy the design. Cut the airbox up and you get no more surges @ low speed. It took me about half an hour to do and helped a ton.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode