Versys 650 or FJ-09? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Versys 650 or FJ-09?

Hi All,
So my brother is currently in the market for a new ride. I've been trying to sell him on the V and suggested he spend some time lurking around here on the forum. He's split between the 2015 Versys 650 and the Yamaha FJ-09. I own a 2013 so he's less inclined use my bike as a valid comparison. That said, I told him to test ride both and do his research with due diligence. I keep telling him the V is the tried and true of the two.

I'm interested in hearing anyone's take on the matter...especially those of you who are new (2015) V owners. Where any of you in a similar predicament? Go ahead and level any argument for or against one of these two bikes. I'll forward the feedback before he pulls the trigger.

Binderline
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 06:41 AM

Garage
If he starts leaning toward the yami, make sure he test rides the V1000 before making a final decision.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by binderline View Post
That said, I told him to test ride both and do his research with due diligence. I keep telling him the V is the tried and true of the two.
I think you steered him right.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2015/04/09...gearbox-issue/

A friend of mine said he perused the FZ09 boards and found a lot of complaints about a cam tensioner. Apparently, it was some type of automatic gizmo that wasn't working right, and the members were replacing it with a manual, aftermarket piece. There goes the meager warranty. Pretty sure that engine is identical to the one in the FJ09.

Twowheeladdict makes a good point. The V1K is the more comparable bike if he's leaning toward the Yami because it's more powerful. Though I'm curious about the test ride part. Have dealers started offering test rides on Japanese machinery lately? They never used to, but I haven't bought one in a while.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 07:48 AM

Agreed with twowheel. The FJ is a great bike too, and the triple is really nice. For me, one disadvantage is I heard they don't recommend a top case? Something about a limit as to the weight of luggage you an carry? Not sure of the validity of that, but something to look into if top and side cases are desired.

Part of it, too is getting the one that speaks to you!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 09:36 AM

Garage
something else to keep in mind....
http://www.cycleworld.com/2015/04/09...gearbox-issue/
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 09:53 AM

Just to throw in another option, I've seen some dealers with leftover 2014 Ninja 1000s with bags marked way down. My local dealer has one for about $9000, which I think is a great deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode