Scotland tour - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Scotland tour

Hi,

My girlfriend and I will be taking a tour of Scotland this August on an F800 GS.
Is there any advice you guys and gals and give me ? places to stop, roads..anything will help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky15 View Post
Hi,

My girlfriend and I will be taking a tour of Scotland this August on an F800 GS.
Is there any advice you guys and gals and give me ? places to stop, roads..anything will help.
They drive on the "wrong" side of the road, and some country road are really narrow, and may be sheep and cow paths - or so the sheep and cows think. Traffic circles are traversed clockwise so look left first. The A and B roads are much more fun than the motorways (not that it's startling news) and driving on the left seems much easier on two wheels than it does with four wheels.

Having said that, Scotland is spectacular. The people are wonderful and the scenery is grand. I enjoyed the castles immensely and the Lochs - Lomond and Ness - are memorable. Since you'll be riding, good rain gear will be worth its weight in haggis.

Will you be in the Highlands or Lowlands or both? Given the choice I'd choose the Highlands and be sure to visit John O' Groats - the northern most point on the UK mainland.

My two pence worth. Have a great time.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

Last edited by Arion; 02-17-2015 at 07:48 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 08:53 PM

Being Scottish, I will be happy to answer your questions as best I can
I no longer live there but did a decent amount of sight seeing in my time, though I only got into motorcycles after I left.

Do you have an idea what your interests are? Castles, whisky, golf? Or are we talking just motorcycle roads here?

One of the top motorcycle destination roads is the Pass of the Cattle
No Video

The A-82 over Rannoch Moor into Glencoe is favorite of mine.

Personally I would avoid Loch Ness unless you like tourist tat. If you do go there the riding is better on the east side of the loch. The west side is the main road and it will be clogged full of tourists

The roads in the far north west are amazing. That's where I spent most of my time. Pretty desolate and remote up there if that is your thing.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Hi,

Don't eat the Haggis...
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Hi,

I learned a "mantra" for driving on the left side of the road - STAY LEFT, LOOK RIGHT - when riding in Thailand.

Basically I kept repeating it as I rode, and it saved my *ss a few times....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I learned a "mantra" for driving on the left side of the road - STAY LEFT, LOOK RIGHT - when riding in Thailand.

Basically I kept repeating it as I rode, and it saved my *ss a few times....

My mantra while in the UK a long, long time ago was "Look for grass to save your a**."

Only works in a left hand drive car however. It was passing on the right that became rather interesting with the steering wheel on the left. Still, four years in a left hand drive car without a single prang.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 11:53 AM

I take it you are not from the Halifax in Yorkshire!

This site has cracking recommendations that cover all over Scotland.

http://www.motorcyclescotland.com/

As for hints

- be prepared for 3 seasons in one day. The weather is unpredictable and changeable. A decent waterproof jacket and trousers with lots of vents means you can switch easily and quickly. A helmet with a built in sun visor is best due to the sun and clouds.

- August is a bad month for the voracious midge, a biting insect that can make life miserable. There are numerous repellents, but I found that a head net is the only real way of stopping the little buggers.

- make sure you have visor cleaner with you due to the weather and midges.

- have a read of the UK Highway Code https://www.gov.uk/browse/driving/highway-code in particular the general rules and rules for drivers and motorcyclists. Check out the rules of traffic lights and round-a-bouts.

- try the whisky and other traditional food and drinks such as haggis, irn bru, porridge, lager, salmon, venison, Baxter's soup, Arbroath smokies, Dundee Cake, Tunnock's Caramel Wafers, Forfar bridies, scotch pie, the many local cheeses and go for an Indian curry. Scotland is famous for its curry restaurants.

- driving standards are good. The road conditions are variable with some local councils better than others at maintaining the roads. You do not legally have to carry insurance documents or your drivers licence with you, but it will save you a lot of possible hassle if you do.

- it does not matter what part of Scotland you go for, there are great roads all over the place. It is feasible to ride the entire length of Scotland, Gretna Green to John O' Groats in one long day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode