Electric Motorcycles - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Electric Motorcycles

So there is a lot in the news today about electric bikes, brands like Harley are jumping on board with the Livewire project and even the TT has the zero class races. but I am interested to see what motorcyclists think about the whole electric bike movement. I for one find them soulless and a awful idea, but what do you think?

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanThomas View Post
So there is a lot in the news today about electric bikes, brands like Harley are jumping on board with the Livewire project and even the TT has the zero class races. but I am interested to see what motorcyclists think about the whole electric bike movement. I for one find them soulless and a awful idea, but what do you think?
Don't know about soulless or awful but, at this point in time, they seem like early personal computers - they work but have a long way to go before they will actually be competent. The single exception I can think of might be the BMW I8 coupe. And it's actually a hybrid though wicked cool and fast. Not to mention it's a car (gasp!)

And I can't believe "loud electric motors save lives" will ever be popular slogan.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

I like to go for long, multi-day rides, and so far I don't see how you could do them "electrically"....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I like to go for long, multi-day rides, and so far I don't see how you could do them "electrically"....
You just have to stop every 5 hours for 6 hours and let the batteries recharge

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 02:20 PM

Garage
Something like this would have been great when i was a kid living in the city. Riding down allies and empty lots there was always this one neighbor An old grumpy dude that would call the cops on us for noise. So i would put the baffle back in the bike so when the cops came by we would crank them up and the cop would say "What Noise" he would tell the old guy we weren't doing any harm then leave.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 03:11 PM

I would like an electric bike with a 120+ mile highway range so I could use it to commute to work during non-electric jacket weather. That would be awesome. I would also like a full size electric trials bike so I could do stupid stuff in my yard but am too cheap to spend the money on a new one.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 04:33 PM

once they get batteries that can charge up in under an hour electric bikes will become very viable...there are bikes with 120 miles plus range out there (see Zero motorcycles) and that can run with the best sport bikes...My only real problem with them would be all of the playing cards I would need to put in the spokes so people could hear me coming (the Harley Livewire makes an annoying buzz that they built in)...
Haven't seen anyone trying to build an electric "Bagger" yet...I believe you can get an electric motocross bike..wouldn't want to run out of juice in the woods with one)...
Embrace the future..you'll see more of it than me...

don't eat meat and we can keep our "engines" longer...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 04:51 PM

The Zeros have a decent in-city range but aren't so good once you're doing highway miles. I'm anxious to see what Victory does with the Brammos.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 09:21 PM

Garage
If I could buy one for the same price as others pay, I would own a dual sport version. The prices and tax breaks vary, and my state is not friendly toward the electric bikes.

My Versys Travels:

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marylander View Post
The Zeros have a decent in-city range but aren't so good once you're doing highway miles. I'm anxious to see what Victory does with the Brammos.
Woot..Brammos are made right here in OREGON...I like their bikes..but their range bites...

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadams66 View Post
Woot..Brammos are made right here in OREGON...I like their bikes..but their range bites...

In Oregon I think you can still order one from a Best Buy store too.

Not sure about the quiet electric bikes. I added a Yoshi pipe to the V because the stock pipe wasn't loud enough to get the average pedestrians attention in the city.

Price is the killer for me. I could have a new 650 Versys and a new 650 Vulcan with farkles for less than one Brammo SR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode