If you didn't get a Versys..... - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

If you didn't get a Versys.....

If you didn't buy a Versys what would you have bought?
I had this question asked to me the other day, and my response was the FZ09. Which led to an interesting conversation as to how the progression went from FZ 09 to Versys, and why I ended up with the V. For me It was down to comfort, and price.

What I want to know is what was everyone elses "almost bike"

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanThomas View Post
If you didn't buy a Versys what would you have bought?
I had this question asked to me the other day, and my response was the FZ09. Which led to an interesting conversation as to how the progression went from FZ 09 to Versys, and why I ended up with the V. For me It was down to comfort, and price.

What I want to know is what was everyone elses "almost bike"
I was happy with my Vic before I wrecked it. Problem is they don't sell the model I like anymore and they are considerably more expensive, especially once you start adding the go fast goodies.

I've been riding standards and sport tourers the better part of the last 30+ years. The comfort of the cruiser was a nice change of pace. Their low maintenance and low center of gravity really make for a great practical machine.

When I saw the new V1K, it was love at first sight. Seemingly all the comfort of a cruiser, all the fun of a sportbike engine, all the designed for maintenance goodness of a Kaw, and it's purdy. We'll have to see how my short (and currently busted) legs deal with the lofty perch.

If I had a dealer nearby I might get a BMW1200R, but I don't so that's out. So I'd have to go with another Vic if this didn't (doesn't) work out.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 03:16 PM

Garage
I was all about the Suzuki SV650. I spent a lot of time on there forums and that's what I really wanted.
Then for some reason I started looking at the V.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 04:34 PM

Garage
I would have gone with the Ninja 650.

Always trust your cape.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 04:42 PM

Garage
My almost was the '11 ninja 1000. Test rode both at a demo event along with the concours. The Versys just put a smile on my face. Added the Connie a year later.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 05:03 PM

I might have gotten an NC700X if I didn't get such a good deal on my 09 Versys. I wish the Versys was better with fuel economy. The focus on fuel economy is one of the things I like about the NC, also like the storage up front although don't so much like that the fuel filler is behind you.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 06:13 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
well if we wanna rewrite that as tradefor versys not buy it could have been a 06 HD sportster......... and thank god the versys guy came along..... i HATE modern HD's . so yeah
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 06:30 PM

I went from the fz-09 to the V. Factors were too much motor for the suspension, not comfortable, and more expensive insurance.

2013 Kawasaki Versys- Blue/Black
2014 Honda Grom- Red/Black
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 350 Blue/Black
2012 Kawasaki KLX250s Red/Black
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 07:53 PM

Was considering the Ninja 650. Then I reevaluated what I wanted to do, which was more touring, so the upright seated Versys won out.
If I were still considering, the Tiger 800 and FJ09 would be considerations.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 10:12 PM

Garage
I'm looking at the Tiger 800
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 10:36 PM

Super tenere 1200 hands down...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 11:46 PM

Garage
Maybe we should start another tread. What bike was on your wish list that you bought but regretted? Maybe it was something you drooled over when you where younger or something that blew you away on that first 10 minute test ride.

I had the Tiger 800 on top of my list before the Versys. I just couldn't afford it. I managed to pick one up a couple of months ago for the right price. I was great. I thought I'd found the prefect bike for me. That was until we came into summer here is Brisbane. It's only then that I found out how hot the engine can get on these. It felt like it was burning my legs. I just couldn't put up with it for 12 weeks a year. Too much for me. I traded it in as soon as I could. Time to start that list again. The V 1000 is on top ATM.

Last edited by eddieglitter; 01-15-2015 at 11:48 PM.
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 11:51 PM

I shopping the used maket something sporty close to upright or up right seating
I was looking at bmw gs1150 gs 1200 vstrom 650 . what I would love to have found was honda transalp 600 with low miles. these are hard to find now with out being overpriced here in California.
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 07:45 AM

Had a Tenere. Nice bike.

Walked into the dealer early one morning and saw a "Kawasaki green" Versys sitting there.

"What the hell is THAT" ?
"It's a Kawasaki, can't you tell" ?
"....they're a lot of fun to ride... let me get you a tag...."

Certainly, the price was right, and it IS fun to ride.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 07:57 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kballowe View Post
Had a Tenere. Nice bike.

Walked into the dealer early one morning and saw a "Kawasaki green" Versys sitting there.

"What the hell is THAT" ?
"It's a Kawasaki, can't you tell" ?
"....they're a lot of fun to ride... let me get you a tag...."

Certainly, the price was right, and it IS fun to ride.
You went from a Super Tenere to a '14 Versys? I would really like to know why since I keep thinking about going to the Tenere because of the driveshaft and cruise control for distance touring.

My Versys Travels:

post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 08:46 AM

If my feet could have reached the ground a little better, I would have gone with a KLR.
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATYC View Post
I would have gone with the Ninja 650.
My first bike was a 2006 650R. It was a great bike, but I feel like the Versys is more of a "grownups" bike. It's probably just because how it looks

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
You went from a Super Tenere to a '14 Versys? I would really like to know why since I keep thinking about going to the Tenere because of the driveshaft and cruise control for distance touring.
Certainly, the Super Tenere would make a better long distance bike - no doubt about that. Better wind protection, more power, and the newer ones have electronic cruise and maybe heated grips? And more.

In my case, I wanted a lighter, sorta "around town and 2-lane bike", and it works very well for that. Longest trip so far has been out thru MO, KS, IA, NE, SD, NE, MN and back thru IA and home to MO.

We have several motorcycles, so the Versys fits perfectly in-between.

If you're seriously contemplating a Super Tenere - SHOP AROUND ! There are huge discounts on those bikes. Also, make sure to get the side wind deflectors that mount up front and on top of the fairing. Huge reduction in wind buffeting.

Last edited by kballowe; 01-16-2015 at 09:58 AM.
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 12:27 PM

I went out to by a Suzuki V-strom and came home with the Versys.
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 12:52 PM

I was looking at KLR's because I didn't know the Versys existed. 3 months later I had a 2008. Glad I didn't get the KLR because I do more commuting than touring and the Versys is more comfortable.

<----- Check Out My Blog!!!

2006 Ninja 500 - Bone Stock & Beautiful
2008 Versys - Farkled To The Max
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode