xt1200z super tenre - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 08:27 AM
Bob

ja been waiting for em to unveil the new Tenere. The newer 650 Tenere reminds me alot of those droids from Star Wars, I must say the 1200 looks less droidy.... and I like it this much

Nice read here:
http://www.gizmag.com/yamaha-super-t...cations/14310/

08' Diablo Black Kawasaki Verys
98' 3.0L V6 Colt Rodeo D/C (Engine rebuilt, Body lift, Monroe Shocks, 32" Wrangler MTR's, GME GX300)

Work hard, play harder. --Bob
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 09:12 AM

Pasting what I wrote on the EU boards:

I was very disappointed. I was hoping for a 990 rival but no, they had to go the mastodon way. It looks boring. A 2010 bike could be a lot more exciting than a Varadero with V-Stromish headlights.

The weight... Oh, the weight... Ok, it's 1200 but so is the BMW too, and the Beemer has a wet weight of 255ish. 6 less kg than the ST, big deal, right? The Beemer however sports a 33L tank...

The only thing I like I like about it it's the panel.

At least it made things perfectly clear for me. An F800GS is the way to go.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 04:14 PM

copied from elsewhere:
Quote:
575 lbs wet for the Yamaha

GS dry = 439 lbs.
We add gas (5.2 gal @6.5lbs/gal=34 lbs), oil & other fluids, & battery for a total wet weight of 503 lbs. *

GS Adv. dry = 492 lbs.
We add gas (8.7 gal=57 lbs), oil ... & battery ... for a total wet weight of 579 lbs. *

* Per BMW Motorrad site
i'm with you (well, not on styling), i wish they had targeted the KTM instead. but the BMW does sell much better, so they made the right business decision.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 11:49 PM

I would take it over a GS if for no other reason than there is actually a Yamaha dealer network here in the US. I'm curious to see if it'll make it onto the US shores and how much they'll price it at if it does.

I'm keeping an eye on it.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 08:02 AM

After some thought these are my impressions of the Yamaha design vs the Kawasaki.
The Yamaha comes with the OEM Farkle I have added to my mix and match Versys. It has a center stand. The integrated braking system is a plus. The added power is a plus for two up riding. The different maps would be handy for switching between mountain, highway and city riding. Not having ridin the Yamaha though I can not say the handling or fun factor would be better or worse. I do not do "off-road" other than the occaisional foray on packed dirt, those days are behind me. If the day comes when it is made available in the USA I will take a test ride and what happens happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode