Why No One Will Sell You The Bike You Want - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
jmarleau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 254
Why No One Will Sell You The Bike You Want

Deleted

Last edited by jmarleau; 05-19-2015 at 07:06 AM.
jmarleau is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 04:42 PM
RMS
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Dallas Texas
Posts: 217
My 1st bike,, 1976 KZ900
2nd bike 85 Yamaha t500 thumper
3rd bike Suzuki 201? TU 250
4th bike 09 versys
If I buy another one, it will be the Yamaha 400 thumper
I like thinking that I ride because I enjoy the ride, and yes I am going backwards on CC`s
If the bike can hold the posted speed limit with a little more then I am happy to look at the country as it passes by SLOWLEY
And if the dealer will not sell what I wont then there will be NO SALE....
OH P.S. I also am a boomer
RMS is offline  
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 06:48 PM
Member
 
BaileyMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 601
Can't believe I just read that whole rant...it was good enough to keep my attention. I am sooooo glad I ride a motorcycle! I don't know what I'd do without it. I tell people all the time they should get one. I love it for all the reasons you mentioned. Mostly because it's sensible and fun...

Thanks for sharing that...

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
BaileyMan is offline  
 
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 09:23 PM
Member
 
twowheeladdict's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4,204
Garage
Many many things I don't agree with in that rant, but the one that sticks out the most is the last sentence. "time-saving" How is a motorcycle time-saving? It takes me longer to gear up, do a pre-ride check of the bike, roll it out of the garage, shut the garage door, fire it up, warm it up, and then ride. I can just hop in the car in whatever I am wearing, hit the garage door opener, back it up, hit the garage door opener and dive off.

It doesn't save any time while riding unless I want to piss off all the cagers who are already driving 8 - 12 mph over the speed limit. It doesn't save me any time when parking because of the gear, etc.

I ride because I love it. I ride because I can NOT ride.

My Versys Travels:


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
twowheeladdict is offline  
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 01:51 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 195
If motorcycle ridership increased where there were noticeably more bikes on the road than there are now, it would not be as safe, it would not be as exclusive and then there goes the fun factor (for me). Someone else said it but I ride because it's fun and it's fun because there's not hundreds of other folks doing the same thing at the same time in the same area where I'm doing it. What ever the formula is for bike sales in the USA, I sure hope it continues. If I feel like sharing the road with a lot of other crazy two wheelers, I'll do a trip to india, the Philippines or one of those places where they ride motorcycles because they have to. He was right about one thing - "this is America", let's try to keep it that way for a while.

Last edited by rydbayb; 11-21-2014 at 01:53 AM.
rydbayb is offline  
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 02:15 AM
Member
 
chadams66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Garden Home, Oregon
Posts: 1,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Many many things I don't agree with in that rant, but the one that sticks out the most is the last sentence. "time-saving" How is a motorcycle time-saving? It takes me longer to gear up, do a pre-ride check of the bike, roll it out of the garage, shut the garage door, fire it up, warm it up, and then ride. I can just hop in the car in whatever I am wearing, hit the garage door opener, back it up, hit the garage door opener and dive off.

It doesn't save any time while riding unless I want to piss off all the cagers who are already driving 8 - 12 mph over the speed limit. It doesn't save me any time when parking because of the gear, etc.

I ride because I love it. I ride because I can NOT ride.
big plus 1...I'll add..Who takes the short cut when you're on your bike..ever? There are those squids out there who think slap the helmet on no matter what else you're wearing and hit the slabs...you know the guys doing wheelies down the freeway with t-shirts and tennis shoes on for safety gear...
chadams66 is offline  
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 09:23 AM
Member
 
Stud Muffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Mantua, New Jersey
Posts: 873
Interesting, I had noticed in 2008 a lot of people buying bikes and come 2009 they were selling everything cheap but no-one was buying. But as you say they didn't really have many bikes available like the one's I was looking for. Luckily I found a Versys which was as close as I could get to my desired type. (BMW taste, Kawasaki money...)
Now it seems there are more of my kind of "sexy" bikes out there then I have room in the garage (or bank account) for...
Stud Muffin is offline  
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 09:43 AM
Member
 
BaileyMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Many many things I don't agree with in that rant, but the one that sticks out the most is the last sentence. "time-saving" How is a motorcycle time-saving? It takes me longer to gear up, do a pre-ride check of the bike, roll it out of the garage, shut the garage door, fire it up, warm it up, and then ride. I can just hop in the car in whatever I am wearing, hit the garage door opener, back it up, hit the garage door opener and dive off.

It doesn't save any time while riding unless I want to piss off all the cagers who are already driving 8 - 12 mph over the speed limit. It doesn't save me any time when parking because of the gear, etc.

I ride because I love it. I ride because I can NOT ride.
It saves me time because I can split lanes in rush hour traffic. Even going 20-25 when the cagers are barely moving is time saving It saves me tons of time parking in San Francisco. One of my worst parking experiences in my cage was when I drove 10 minutes to a friend's place then spent 40 minutes finding a place to park, finally finding a spot that was at least a 10 minute walk from their place.

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
BaileyMan is offline  
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 10:12 AM
Member
 
kohburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eastern, NC
Posts: 1,094
yeah the "time savings" comes into place in congested areas - especially those that allow lane splitting.

the AMA needs to be fighting for lane splitting and that would make riding a lot more popular imo
kohburn is offline  
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 10:27 AM
Member
 
twowheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 3,330
Garage
There are some hidden gems of truth in the above rant.

1) The average HD buyer is getting on in years and in his late fifties or early sixties. Younger buyers are not turning to HD in the same numbers as baby boomers.
http://www.hdforums.com/forum/genera...-you-poll.html
2) One factor driving HD sales is subsidized financing

3) Not all of us want to spend $20,000+ on a motorcycle, in fact only older riders have $20,000 in disposable cash lying around.

4) The AMA needs to stop spending millions in money fighting helmet laws and better spend that money doing things that will benefit motorcyclists.

There is also two missed items:
1) Most HD buyers have a buying decision that goes like this, "what HD should I buy?". That is to say other motorcycle manufacturers are not even on their radar.

2) There are many cruiser and sport bike riders, who believe there are only three types of motorcycles, cruisers for mature adults, sport bikes for young adults and dirt bikes for kids. A bike like the Versys does not exist in their world.

Last edited by twowheels; 11-21-2014 at 10:39 AM.
twowheels is offline  
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator
 
fasteddiecopeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kelowna, BC - summer; Florence, AZ - winter
Posts: 17,160
Enjoyed the "rant"! An 'extra' (from MY point of view - been riding since 1962 - motorcycling keeps me young!).

- -

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fasteddiecopeman is offline  
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 12:21 PM
Member
 
twowheeladdict's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4,204
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyMan View Post
It saves me time because I can split lanes in rush hour traffic. Even going 20-25 when the cagers are barely moving is time saving It saves me tons of time parking in San Francisco. One of my worst parking experiences in my cage was when I drove 10 minutes to a friend's place then spent 40 minutes finding a place to park, finally finding a spot that was at least a 10 minute walk from their place.
That is a very limited group and small percentage of the motorcycle owners across the US. For the vast majority of responsible motorcycle owners there is no time savings.

My Versys Travels:


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
twowheeladdict is offline  
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 12:42 PM
Member
 
alba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
That is a very limited group and small percentage of the motorcycle owners across the US. For the vast majority of responsible motorcycle owners there is no time savings.
I saved plenty of time in my old 22 mile commute to work as I could use the HOV lane. That benefit applies nation wide (in the US).
alba is offline  
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 01:03 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Youngstown, OH
Posts: 133
Oh, I stopped reading that rant after about three sentences.

Here's what I believe. As long as fun doesn't go out of style, there will be motorcycles. Thank God.
TR Versys is offline  
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 02:16 PM
Member
 
chaofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 145
I have often wondered when walking around my local dealer who on earth buys most of these bikes? I see the same bikes sit there for the whole year. They stock their floors with bikes nobody wants or needs. The bikes they sell (Versys's, KLR's, Ninji's) are sold out quickly since they only stock a few. You can not even find a Versys on the showroom floor here in Oregon, a rainy not so bike friendly state. They do have tons of other bikes on hand, giant, 300 mph, Harley copies, race bikes, etc that very few people buy.
chaofan is offline  
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 02:25 PM
Member
 
chadams66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Garden Home, Oregon
Posts: 1,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud Muffin View Post
Interesting, I had noticed in 2008 a lot of people buying bikes and come 2009 they were selling everything cheap but no-one was buying.


It wasn't only motorcycles that were selling like hot cakes in 2008 and then dead in 2009...there was a little recession going on in 2009...
chadams66 is offline  
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 02:27 PM
Member
 
chadams66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Garden Home, Oregon
Posts: 1,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaofan View Post
I have often wondered when walking around my local dealer who on earth buys most of these bikes? I see the same bikes sit there for the whole year. They stock their floors with bikes nobody wants or needs. The bikes they sell (Versys's, KLR's, Ninji's) are sold out quickly since they only stock a few. You can not even find a Versys on the showroom floor here in Oregon, a rainy not so bike friendly state. They do have tons of other bikes on hand, giant, 300 mph, Harley copies, race bikes, etc that very few people buy.
I counted three Versys at Beaverton Honda last time I was there (not all "new" this year's bikes)...
I bought my 2012 Versys brand new January of this year..so I'm thinking it sat somewhere for a year (birth date 12/12)...
I too have always wondered about all of those bikes sitting in the showrooms (how many Harley clones does the world need??)..but then there are a lot of cars on the auto lots too...Same story..different ride....

Last edited by chadams66; 11-21-2014 at 02:32 PM.
chadams66 is offline  
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 06:32 PM
Member
 
twowheeladdict's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4,204
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alba View Post
I saved plenty of time in my old 22 mile commute to work as I could use the HOV lane. That benefit applies nation wide (in the US).
Only for you folks that commute on the interstate into large cities. The nearest HOV lane is 90 miles from where I live.

I ride 25,000 miles a year and none of them are in an HOV lane. I don't think I would ride if it was on an interstate.

Also, why would riding in an HOV lane save you time? Because the other lanes are travelling under the speed limit?

Did you include the extra time required to do pre-checks on the bike, and put on your gear?

My Versys Travels:


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by twowheeladdict; 11-21-2014 at 06:35 PM.
twowheeladdict is offline  
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 06:39 PM
Member
 
twowheeladdict's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4,204
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadams66 View Post
(how many Harley clones does the world need??)..
Metric cruisers aren't necessarily Harley Clones. That usually means inferior and my Kawasaki Metric Cruisers are superior to Harley except in the area of paint. Better engines, better handling, lower cost to own.

My Versys Travels:


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
twowheeladdict is offline  
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 07:25 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: California
Posts: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
the AMA needs to be fighting for lane splitting and that would make riding a lot more popular imo
The AMA has had a pro-lane-splitting stance for over a year now. I joined when I learned about it, and my renewal just came up.
davidg is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome