Test rode the new Indian Scout - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Test rode the new Indian Scout

It was a cold overcast day today. Maybe hit 50 degrees when I did the demo ride.

I find the Indian Scout to be a good looking bike. They had 3 colors on hand for the demo ride. The gray, black, and red.

I'll start with the good. The engine is freaking awesome! Within the constraints of the demo ride I was still able to get on the bike a little. Definitely a fun engine with plenty of power and it sounded nice with the stock exhaust. The bike was nimble with very light steering. Almost turned in too quick for those only used to cruisers.
They only had the bikes set up with the base ergonomics which were fine for me. They offer several seats to move the rider forward or back, and several footpeg mounts to adjust the reach to the pegs. Handlebars could be adjusted up and down for reach and they have alternate bars as well. The bike should appeal to a lot of riders.

The not so good. The fueling still needs to be sorted out. If you are just racing from stoplight to stoplight you will love the fuel delivery. It comes on strong and hard. If you are trying to cruise with the bike there was a lot of surge and/or hesitation in the low throttle input fuel delivery. The suspension was sprung softly. Indian did not spend any money for the suspension to match the stellar engine. I guess they didn't want a $15000 bike, or thought that anyone coming from a Harley wouldn't notice anyway. I had a discussion with the salesman and the manager and after telling them I currently ride a Mean Streak they both acquiesced and admitted that they found the suspension lacking as well.

The bad. While getting acquainted with the bike before the ride, I grabbed the front brake and rocked the bike back and forth to feel the suspension and make sure the steering stem wasn't loose. All of a sudden the brake lever came all the way to the grip. I looked down at the caliper and there was brake fluid on the ground. I am so glad I checked before the ride, but now my demo ride was in jeopardy. I called over the Indian transporter and fortunately it was just the banjo bolt that needed tightening. I have never ever had a bike that needed the banjo bolt tightened. WTF?

Conclusion. If you really want to join the ranks of Indian owners and don't have $21,000 - $29,000 to buy the 111 engine bikes, the Scout is a good choice. What I told the dealer is that it would be a bike I would consider on the used market for around $7,000 so I could then address the suspension and fueling issues with aftermarket.

This same dealer also sells Ducati so they are supposed to call me when they get a demo Scrambler in next spring. If it fits, and rides well, it might beat the Scout into my garage.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Here are some photos of the Demo line up and the new Roadmaster.

I really like the brown leather on the black bike.

My Versys Travels:

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Last year I reviewed the Chieftain, and I said that if they came out with the Vintage in pearl white I would be tempted. I guess the local dealer felt the same way because he put a $3500 paint job on a 2014 Vintage.

My Versys Travels:

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 07:21 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I've always prefered Indians to Harleys (yeah I'm THAT old)...as of right now though..I'm not ready for the cruiser lifestyle...
went riding with a dozen or so cruisers last weekend..slow slow slow...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 08:25 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Momma and her Indian - the "intermediate version"

PP100 motor and all that.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 08:29 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
One of the local dealers built a separate showroom just for the Indian motorcycles, and it's very very nice.

They recently had demo days and a lot of fellas took "test rides".

Nice bikes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode