Yamaha MT-07 Bike of the Year! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Yamaha MT-07 Bike of the Year!

The new Yamaha MT-07 was named Bike of the Year by "Bike" (UK) magazine !

The said it was better than a KTM Adventure bike that was twice the price.

They liked the lightness, torque, styling, finish, handling, playfulness and price

I sat on one at the dealer last July, it felt nice and narrow and light compared to my V. But it almost felt too small for what I'm looking for, which is a 650 to 900 cc sport-tourer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
The new Yamaha MT-07 was named Bike of the Year by "Bike" (UK) magazine !

The said it was better than a KTM Adventure bike that was twice the price.

They liked the lightness, torque, styling, finish, handling, playfulness and price

I sat on one at the dealer last July, it felt nice and narrow and light compared to my V. But it almost felt too small for what I'm looking for, which is a 650 to 900 cc sport-tourer.
I read the article.

It was named "Bike of the Year" because of its incredible performance for very little money. The KTM 1190 Adventure is a better bike. But at nearly twice the price, it is no where near twice as good.

It is kind of a different type of bike to compare, don't you think?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarleau View Post
I read the article.

It was named "Bike of the Year" because of its incredible performance for very little money. The KTM 1190 Adventure is a better bike. But at nearly twice the price, it is no where near twice as good.

It is kind of a different type of bike to compare, don't you think?
I suppose, but it depends on what kind of riding you plan to do.

Given that I am from the Midwest (USA), I believe the Brits often see things from a different angle than those in other parts of the world. I suspect that the distances they travel on a trip, on average, could be much shorter than someone would experience from my neighborhood.

I went onto the Yamaha USA website, and saw a couple of Yamaha produced videos that compare the FZ-07 to the Kawasaki Ninja 650 and the Suzuki 650 (Gladius re-make). They don't pull any punches in the comparisons! In effect, they ask the question "Why pay more for much less?".

I do wonder if the FZ07 actually weights what they claim, and has the actual power that they claim. One of the reasons that I bought my V seven years ago was the claimed 399 lbs weight. I'm sure it is heavier than that.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 09:37 AM

no link to said article?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
no link to said article?
I read it yesterday (hard copy) while waiting to have a prescription filled. I then looked on line for it when I got home, but was not able to find it.

The article read like a "Top 40 Countdown", with many interesting bikes on the list. If I had Jay Leno's income, I'd likely purchase 90% of the bikes on this list!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 09:46 AM

I found this article with pics atleast - IMO looks better than the 2015 versys

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/201...ge-first-look/
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

There was a thread on this forum from July 2014 or so, with a discussion on the FZ-07.

The one I saw at my dealer last summer was the standard one, as seen on the Yamaha USA web page. It is not as colorful or as farkled as the one in the post above, but still, in real life, looks very attractive, in my opinion, more so than the FZ-09.

https://rideayamaha.yamahamotorsport...g&gclsrc=aw.ds
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 09:44 PM

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the forks and fueling are better than on the FZ-09...I wouldn't say that it is a direct competitor to our Versys'..similar..but more of a naked bike than a faux adventure bike...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 06:33 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
I found this article with pics atleast - IMO looks better than the 2015 versys

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/201...ge-first-look/
It is amazing what they did to a plain looking bike to make it really pop! Looks like a nice streetfighter / motard.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 07:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadams66 View Post
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the forks and fueling are better than on the FZ-09...I wouldn't say that it is a direct competitor to our Versys'..similar..but more of a naked bike than a faux adventure bike...
The current issue of MCN (US) has a full road test of the FZ-07. They loved it. The throttle response is great, and the suspension works well with the frame and engine, even at this low price. Other magazines have said similar things. Fun to ride, very light (under 400 lbs fully fueled), great for zooming around on, etc. I would like this bike if it had a fairing, windshield, and a little forward lean. But then it would be a different bike, sort of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode