2015 VStrom 650 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2014, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
2015 VStrom 650

Wow. The bikes are rolling out now. Here is apparently the new VStrom 650.

You can clearly see Suzuki's vision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2014, 09:28 AM

Cool - factory spoked wheels and skid plate. I like it but not exactly ground breaking.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:35 AM

You forgot the most important of the changes, the BEAK... LOL!

On the other hand, something that most people are missing, those are tubeless spoked wheels! On a freaking V-Strom! What does BMW and Triumph have to say now? The F800GS Adventure is almost twice as much as a V-Strom and still has tube type wheels!

Old 09-30-2014, 09:44 AM

I totally missed that, now that IS exciting..

cool on the tubeless spoked rims though.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:01 PM

Is it just me, or is that a duck?
Old 09-30-2014, 04:39 PM

Garage
That looks great. I was looking at the V-Strom 1k as my next bike but really have no need for a 1000. I like the look of the 650 much better with the metal cases instead of the small plastic on the 1k. Also it will be cheaper.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
Old 09-30-2014, 04:45 PM

Garage
Ugly bike, getting uglier...

Always trust your cape.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:05 PM

Garage
I look at it after all these new exciting bikes rolled out today and when I see this, I just see wheels and a beeeeeeek.

Dave
1983 Honda XL600R / M-6
2015 Ducati Scrambler Urban Enduro / M-10
2017 Versys X300 / M-12
1966 Honda CT90

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallCrawl View Post
I look at it after all these new exciting bikes rolled out today and when I see this, I just see wheels and a beeeeeeek.
So you are much happier with the changes to the Versys 650?

This is NOT a redesign of the Wee, just a slight style change with the beak.

Last edited by jmarleau; 10-17-2014 at 08:27 PM.
Old 11-02-2014, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Just a price update on the VStrom 650XT

http://www.bike4sale.co/detail/oPVce...rom-650-XT-ABS

This website has it at $9300. Not sure if I trust the site, but it is the first price mentioned for the XT. Nothing so far on either an adventure version of the new Versys sport bike or a KLR designed in the 21st century.

I still haven't given up hope, but it looks like Kawasaki has given this entire segment of motorcycles to Suzuki, unopposed.

Old 11-02-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarleau View Post
I still haven't given up hope, but it looks like Kawasaki has given this entire segment of motorcycles to Suzuki, unopposed.
So you think that everybody that buys these kind of bike wants or need off road capability? I bought the Versys knowing it was not off road capable and that it was a better road bike than the Wee, that was after owning two other Krap-a-zakis and I had swore never to buy another Krapazaki.

Other more expensive "ADV" bikes with similar off road capability are selling, 90% of the off road capable ones never get to see the dirt. Kawasaki just realized that by not giving it off road capabilities they were losing, what, 10% of the ADV market but gaining over customers that wanted roadbikes? Yeah, they gave up.
Old 11-02-2014, 03:51 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
The Versys is a superior handling road bike to the VStrom. Suzuki marketing is pushing the off road capability of the VStrom.

In reality the kind of off road terrain these bikes will see can be easily ridden on any motorcycle on street tires.
Old 11-02-2014, 05:50 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
the beefy looking front tire and tread pattern say "slightly" off road more than our Versys' Dynasports...I like the stock variable windshield on that Vstrom..something we all know would be a great addition to the Versys...That looks like a real skid plate on the Vstrom...I got a Versys not for it's off road abilities..but for it's handling..which I doubt the Vstrom can match...

Last edited by chadams66; 11-02-2014 at 05:52 PM.
Old 11-02-2014, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Süsser Tod View Post
So you think that everybody that buys these kind of bike wants or need off road capability? I bought the Versys knowing it was not off road capable and that it was a better road bike than the Wee, that was after owning two other Krap-a-zakis and I had swore never to buy another Krapazaki.

Other more expensive "ADV" bikes with similar off road capability are selling, 90% of the off road capable ones never get to see the dirt. Kawasaki just realized that by not giving it off road capabilities they were losing, what, 10% of the ADV market but gaining over customers that wanted roadbikes? Yeah, they gave up.
Again, you go on about "offroad ability". Are you just arguing with yourself?

And what else are you saying? Kawasaki is just building a bike that nobody wants but everybody should have????

I know your not gonna listen, but I will try to explain one last time. There is a segment of motorcycles called "adventure bikes" that are one of the hottest selling segments in the industry. This is a fact. Adventure bikes are not offroad bikes. I repeat. Adventure bikes are not offroad bikes. Adventure bikes are bikes that you travel with, exploring places on highways, side roads and gravel/dirt roads. ROADS... all while carrying camping gear and the like. Suzuki is attempting to grab a piece of the adventure pie with the new XT. Kawasaki has not with it's sport touring leaning 2015 Versys. Period.

I started this thread in the "Other Motorcycle" section because I enjoy talking and reading about motorcycles. ????

Last edited by jmarleau; 11-03-2014 at 10:45 AM.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarleau View Post
I know your not gonna listen, but I will try to explain one last time. There is a segment of motorcycles called "adventure bikes" that are one of the hottest selling segments in the industry. This is a fact. Adventure bikes are not offroad bikes. I repeat. Adventure bikes are not offroad bikes. Adventure bikes are bikes that you travel with, exploring places on highways, side roads and gravel/dirt roads. ROADS... all while carrying camping gear and the like. Suzuki is attempting to grab a piece of the adventure pie with the new XT. Kawasaki has not with it's sport touring leaning 2015 Versys. Period.
I know you're not going to listen, but 90% of these so called "Adventure Riders" will never ride on any gravel roads other than the unpaved parking lot at the country club. I've given you two examples of "Adventure Bikes" that have as little "adventure" capability (just to avoid calling it "off road capability") as the Versys and they are selling just fine.

Current "ADV" bikes are just like SUVs, all about looks, because that is what people want, looks. Even the next generation Jeep wrangler is going to be a freaking unibody:

http://www.auto-types.com/autonews/f...ine-12225.html

Remember the old Jeep Wagoneer? Spring leafs, solid axles, 4x4 in the base model. Compare that to the new "Jeep Grand Cherokee", a highly specialized mall crawler that will bust the oil pan if taken over the curb. Every generation of SUV has become more and more car like, because people want the looks, SUV looks with car handling.

Believe or not, a lot of bike sales are "emotional", people like the looks and how they look on that vehicle, specially in the USA where motorcycles are nothing more than toys. "Look at me on my ADV bike, I'm outdorsy, I like adventure, I like to ride the less beaten path... But had to get my mocha late at Starbucks." So there you have it, the "ADV" bikes are less and less "ADV" capable every year, they have become more road oriented, Kawasaki figured out that 90% don't care about "ADV Capability", so they are catering to that 90%.

If you definition of "ADV" is riding well groomed gravel roads, you can do that just fine on the Versys, or even a Ninja ZX-6, so I really don't understand what you're bitching and moaning about.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:40 AM

boys, boys... no one is saying that Kawi should not have built the versys. we ike it, most owners love it. but some of us want a KLR-Versys love child -- a KLRish bike, driven by the twin. Kawasaki could easily park this side-by-side on the floor with versys. many would buy one to pose at *$, yes. but some of us would go exploring with such a machine, beyond where we would take a versys, it would be properly dirtied. this wee strom goes in that general direction, though honda and hopefully yamaha, will get in the game soon.

i not sure you guys actually disagree about anything. i used to explore dirt roads on a transalp and they would sometimes turn into a rocky, bouldery mess. with a KLR, i can do that and likely make out in one piece. with a versys, not so much. i also agree that versys is about as offroadable as my old VFR. which is why i had the transalp. i want a new transalp with more motor. Kawasaki declines to build it.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
=>

Last edited by kevrider; 11-06-2014 at 10:58 AM.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

Canadian Price Announcement.

Suzuki has the new 2015 VStrom 650XT base model, with the Spoked Tubeless wheels listed for $9599 CAD.

With a few hundred dollars of the 2015 Versys ($8999)

The 2015 VStrom 650XT with the 3 piece expedition panniers, skid plate, crashbars, Vario windscreen and auxiliary lights is listed for $11399 CAD.

http://www.suzuki.ca/en/motorcycles
Old 11-08-2014, 06:59 AM

Suzuki claims 472# curb wt for the wee. i went over to the Kawasaki site for reference, they claim 476# curb wt for the versys. i know the definition of "curb" weight may be variable, but all this time, i've been under the impression that versys is significantly lighter than the wee. did Suzuki shave that much weight with the 2012 redesign?

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>

Last edited by kevrider; 11-08-2014 at 07:01 AM.
Old 11-09-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevrider View Post
Suzuki claims 472# curb wt for the wee. i went over to the Kawasaki site for reference, they claim 476# curb wt for the versys. i know the definition of "curb" weight may be variable, but all this time, i've been under the impression that versys is significantly lighter than the wee. did Suzuki shave that much weight with the 2012 redesign?
Yes, they did, and it shows, the '12 Wee handled way better than the previous one. Part of the weight reduction was due to a smaller tank, 2 litres less... But the Gladius engine, while making more power, uses less fuel, so the '12 Wees, even with the smaller tank, have better range than the previous ones!

Also the '14 Versys gained weight as ABS became standard, '15 is even heavier with a larger tank.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevrider View Post
boys, boys... no one is saying that Kawi should not have built the versys. we ike it, most owners love it. but some of us want a KLR-Versys love child -- a KLRish bike, driven by the twin.
Given the popularity of this segment, this should be a no-brainer. The only thing I can figure is that they are concerned that these would kill off both the existing KLR and Versys models, and not sell enough to match the current sales of both.

I don't ride off-road anymore, but that style of bike is still more comfortable for me than anything else, and I've added handlebar risers and lowering blocks for the pegs to "un-sport" my Versys a bit. Had they created a KLR with a Versys engine, it would be in my garage.

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in