1982 Honda GL500i Interstate - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
1982 Honda GL500i Interstate

Anyone have any experience with these tranverse 500 twins Honda made, I spotted a full dressed one near here for 1300.00 with 29,xxx miles, in great shape. Thing is so ugly I love it, so quirky!

Dave
1983 Honda XL600R / M-6
2015 Ducati Scrambler Urban Enduro / M-10
2017 Versys X300 / M-12
1966 Honda CT90

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 03:41 AM

Garage
I had an "S" model and have ridden a "C" model. The S is for sports and the c for custom. Same engine, the custom tended to get floaty at speed. If it's in good nick and you like it grab it. They are a simple engine, easy to work on and so underpowered they are very reliable.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 06:51 AM
Super Moderator

I had a 1982 Silverwing Interstate in 1984, and it was like new. Had it for years, great bike, just do oil and final drive (oil) changes, that's it.

Mine would haul two of us across a couple states for long weekend trips, had luggage already on it. As long as you were not in a big hurry when riding two-up, it was just fine.

That Guzzi-looking motor will run forever. I have seen a couple SilverWing rat bikes where as the plastics had been smacked to death, but the beast still lived.

I have a wonderful 17 year old Honda Pacific Coast that is much the same, but 800cc shaft drive.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 07:04 AM

Silver Wing Interstate. Here's Clem Salvadori's Retrospective on a 1983 model.

A friend had a 500 Interstate, which was a bit smaller, obviously. I was in line to buy it from him, then the Navy sent him to the west coast and his bike went with him. Great lightweight tourer as long as you don't expect much performance, even by standards of the day. It's a liquid cooled motorcycle from an era when few bikes were liquid cooled, so check on the condition of the radiator, hoses and coolant.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Riding the V up to take a look and ride in an hour! Thanks for the input guys!

Dave
1983 Honda XL600R / M-6
2017 Versys X300 / M-12
1966 Honda CT90

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 09:22 PM

Garage
I've always thought that the silverwing of that vintage was a great bike. The 90 degree transverse V is a great layout.

Hope it works out for you.

My Versys Travels:

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 01:17 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
id get it in a heart beat, can't beat a honda

Last edited by silviefox; 09-30-2014 at 08:38 AM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 07:35 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
id get it in a heart beat, can beat a honda
You are right. CAN beat a Honda!

My Versys Travels:

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
lol
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 08:39 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
well ya you CAN beat them and they will love it and ask for more lol
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Passed on it, the mechanical seal was leaking, forks leaking, engine oil leaking, but I was assured it ran "great". Yeah I want a project but not an overhaul. Thanks again for everyones input!

Dave
1983 Honda XL600R / M-6
2017 Versys X300 / M-12
1966 Honda CT90

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode