Gearbox/ transmission thought... - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Gearbox/ transmission thought...

Hey guys, we have an old, as in '84, Honda Big Red that we use on our farm easily 200 days a year. Summer, winter, rain or snow, the trike gets used a lot... and not really looked after that much! But it just will not die.. guys ask why we don't buy a quad, the Big Red is an absolute machine, why toss it away?
So, what's the point of this thread right? The Big Red has a gearbox where you have a low range, high range, and each range there are 5 gears... but there is no clutch to pull in when you change gears. This beast is 30 years old, gets it's ass used in all types of weather, rarely gets a good going over, and I have NEVER had any problems with this set up. Perhaps it's just me, but I don't know of a motorcycle using anything like this... why not? I have read many guys complaining on this site about the "clunky" shift into first gear, and thinking about the trike, makes me wonder why it never went anywhere. Just wondering if anyone knows the actual reason?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 11:16 PM

kawasaki has positive neutral finder, causing the clunk. the big red has a cam attatched to the shift lever which disengages the multiplate clutch almost exactly the same as a cable system, but it also has a one way additional clutch for stopping in gear. I'm sure excess moving parts and/or weight factors is why it's not used in large motorcycles, I had this setup in my first bike a ct70, if you held the lever up, revved the motor and let the lever go, it was the same as popping the clutch on a lever/cable system....lol
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 06:11 AM

Aside from the transmission question, Big Red never went anywhere due to liability lawsuits, sort of like Ralph Nader with the Corvair. You probably already knew that, but maybe the younger crowd here is in the dark.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

Ya, the liability factor killed the trikes and brought about the quads. However, riding a trike is still a lot more fun than a quad, having to shift your weight around to keep the back tires on the ground.... than having to shift it OFF the rear wheels so it will turn! But I would definitely not let young ones anywhere near it.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode