Street Triple - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Street Triple

I have had a major lust on for the Tiger 1050 for quite some time now, but recently I have been checking out Street Triples and I am starting to think that it might be an even better replacement bike for the V than the Tiger (for me anyways). It's smaller, lighter, faster, much more flickable, has better lights and comes out of the box with fewer issues than the Tiger. Virtually no issues, aside from farkle as desired. It's also less expensive then the Tiger, and would be cheaper for me to insure!

There are cons. It is not as comfortable for long trips, pillion seat is very small, weather protection is almost non existent, no ABS, and does not get as good gas mileage. A corbin and flyscreen will help.

The reviews for the bike are all overwhelmingly positive, and it kicks butt when compared to whatever. Riders say there is plenty of torque down low, and the top end punch (6000 rpm+) is phenomenal. I think I might be in love!

Here are are some mouth watering vids...

Raptors and Rockets

Isle of Man

Swing-a-liscous!

With flyscreen and unprotected actress

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

PS. Thanks Glowcat13... musta had the 1050 on my mind!

I mean the Street :~)

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 06:28 PM

no problem its definetly a sweet looking bike, would be even sweeter if Angolina came as an excesory.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowcat13 View Post
no problem its definetly a sweet looking bike, would be even sweeter if Angolina came as an excesory.

Amen brother!

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 08:55 PM

I was seriously considering one of these, or the new Ducati Hypermotard 796. The looks of either are pure motorcycling exotica, especially the Duc. That color of 'triple was my favorite as well. The 'R' model is just awesome. I did not ride one but you can bet they kick-a$$.

I saw a ER-6N at the bike show and fell in love. Never thought I would own a Kawasaki. Then found the Versys with the better suspenders and ergos.

In the end money talked, and frankly, I think the Street Triple was going to be too much bike for me. At my age I need to keep it toned down so I don't kill myself. If I was 10 years younger I think it would be a no-brainer, either of the two just mentioned.

The bike that originally got me back interested in riding street again was the KTM Duke. 690 single, a real hooligan bike. I bought a KTM 250 XCFW for dirt in January this year, back riding after a 4-year hiatus. KTM builds awesome bikes.

Just got my green V last week, got a hundred miles on 'er.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Right on Chris. Welcome back to the fold, and to the world of V. I think you'll love the Versys. It's a great machine too!

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
Right on Chris. Welcome back to the fold, and to the world of V. I think you'll love the Versys. It's a great machine too!
Why thanks for the welcome.
Victoria, eh? I was born in Vancouver in '57, Dad's from there, Mom lived in Everett. They met at a dance in White Rock. We only lived up there for a year or so and then they moved to the states cuz mom was homesick. I'm an american through my mother, but dad kept his citizenship 'till he died. His Dad was a Scot.

So there you have it. Grandma lived in Nanaimo and then Victoria harbor. We used to go up there every year by boat. Boated for 20 years in the NW. Wife and I moved to CA in '92 for a business. Love the sun but miss the outdoors of the NW.

Nice to see you on the forum. The 'net is just so cool.

While I'm reminiscing, we used to ride trailbikes in the woods where they built the 747 plant in Everett WA. Times have changed, haven't they?

Sorry for the highjack...

Chris Brown
In SoCal
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 01:54 AM

Street Triple is an awesome bike, no question about that.
However, it is a bit small for my frame, I am 6’1” and I look ridiculous on it.
I ride V, but my heart is with Aprilia’s bikes, Shiver and Dorso.
Did you consider those? They kick ass as well.

Last edited by fwb603; 12-22-2009 at 02:14 AM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Well, I do like the ergos of the Shiver, but it just doesn't punch hard enough to get my blood boiling. I would much rather keep the V than trade for the Aprilia. Not that it's a bad bike, it just does not do it for me. It is quite sedate compared to the Triple. The only reason I would want to trade my V is for an even bigger grin factor. If I was to go Shiver style, it would be with a Triumph Tiger. That's like the V, but more.

There are a lot of comparos of the two bikes out there. I think the upshot is... If you are a mature rider who wants things more sedate, Aprilia. If you are looking for wood, Triumph!

Here's a sample.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQIKQlbpubc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCPonWm4ZIo

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Testament to how quick this darn thing is. Here's a couple of ZX9's trying to catch one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vEUQ6Zg39g

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 03:08 PM

I rode a Street Triple at a Triumph demo day this past summer. Very sweet handling, decent ergonomics, but the motor really does need to be spun to have fun, and even then it was just a bit disappointing in the powerband department for me. I also noticed that wind off the headlight deflector (mini-fairing) blew up under my helmet rather than over—a major bad. Dry eye is bad enough inside a helmet, but getting both eyes blow constantly for thirty minutes was uncomfortable.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 03:25 PM

Just needs a fly-screen.
Most of the parallel motors need to be spun. I think the V owners are spoiled.

It used to be you needed to go to a v-twin for torque. I had a SV650 and a DL1000. Happy motors. That's why I was hot for the hypermotard. I was a little edgy about Ducati maintenance, and I didn't want to spend that much this time.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowcat13 View Post
You couldn't afford it if she did.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhrose View Post
You couldn't afford it if she did.
Saw the movie -SALT and was wondering what bike it was , and thanks guys for the image and did she really rid the bike.

Noooo, I don't think so. must be some stun guy or someone form this forum---maybe.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode