Test rode the FZ 07 yesterday! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Test rode the FZ 07 yesterday!

Looking around for something to do (been home-bound watching over trades-men reno'ing the basement), so I went riding and visited a couple of dealers here in Kelowna. The last was the Yamaha dealer, w/ TWO FZ 07s sitting on the floor. Asked permission to "swing a leg over" (which I got), and they asked IF I wanted a test-ride. "Sure, why not," I said, as the bike seemed OK sitting on it.

After the paperwork was done, I mounted-up, and headed to a particularly twisty road I know, followed by a short stretch of Hwy 33 to check it's 'legs'.

First some general comments: when you're gentle on the throttle a small symbol comes on the display indicating that you're saving fuel (ECON); you can display trip odometers or have your instant fuel mileage shown; and it has a gear indicator, RIGHT dead center in the display. The tach is a bar across the bottom, which I didn't get used to in the half hour/ 50 km ride I took. The seat seems comfortable, tho' I'd want Speedy's peg-lowering kit on it...?

There's NO question about power - "hit-it" in first and the front wheel skips about 3" above the pavement, AGAIN going into second, BUT the fuelling seems rather abrupt, not smooth like my Vs are.

The brakes (ABS) seem powerful and smooth, the turn-in light and accurate - again similar to the Versys.

W/ no windshield or 'fly-screen' and the gauges mounted OVER the bars, it LOOKS and feels as if there's NO bike under you - you look down a black expanse (in front of the instruments) w/ NOTHING else in view... NOT the front fender or wheel, nothing.

When I returned it, the salesman said that Yamaha is working on a "Super Ten - junior".

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 08:07 PM

Sounds pretty nice. Are you going to add one to the fleet? Remember, you can never have too many motorcycles!

And Yamaha includes a little symbol that tells the rider he (or she as the case may be) is being economical. How clever, and largely irrelevant. I think I'd be better off with a little symbol that tells me when I'm being a weenie.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

Last edited by Arion; 07-24-2014 at 08:10 PM.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 08:19 PM

ABS? It doesn't have ABS, at least not according to Yamaha. FZ-07 and FZ-09, even though they were designed with ABS, do not offer the option in the US.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 03:46 AM

Yamaha FZ-07, this is what we in Europe have as MT-07, right?

I also tested it a few weeks ago, here are some pics and comments:

Bike is extremely light and agile, even more than Versys. The acceleration is fabulous, and you can flip it over in corners like 125ccm...
ABS works good (tested on slippery asphalt). Perhaps the feel on it is a little "nervous" but I think it is because is so small and light - we are used to ride bigger, heavier and thus more stable beasts.
The seat is not as nearly as comfortable as it is on Versys - the 200km was enough to feel where your own butt is

Liked:
+ engine with its torque (feels like more then its 75HP)
+ responsiveness during cornering, the bike falls into the bend "by himself"
+ looks
+ fun factor
+ tires, rear 180/55/17 excellent cornering grip
+ a lot of information on dashboard

Not liked:
- sound (somehow too "scooterish")
- digital gauges, especially rev counter
- position of dashboard (too far back so you have to tilt your head down to see them)
- uncomfortable seat (here they made a significant step backwards in relation to the MT-03, which had a great tailored, wide and comfortable saddle). True - MT-03 was quite a few more expensive.
- too small tank

We were persecuted by storm clouds the whole time, but we have successfully fled:

Good tires:

Not the best designed dashboard but offers an above-average wealth of information:

I would like to see it in somehow more "travel enduro" style with good wind protection. Again - great engine.

Last edited by Fantocci; 07-25-2014 at 07:18 AM.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 09:00 AM

I was very close to getting a FZ09 and then cooler heads prevailed and I realized I would only get speeding tickets and hospital bills if I did. Man I do love that bike though. If I had some cash to burn it would definitely be my first choice for a hell raising bike.

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Süsser Tod View Post
ABS? It doesn't have ABS, at least not according to Yamaha. FZ-07 and FZ-09, even though they were designed with ABS, do not offer the option in the US.
Kelowna is in British Columbia, Canada. Just like I have an '07 Versys, which wasn't available in the US either.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
Sounds pretty nice. Are you going to add one to the fleet? Remember, you can never have too many motorcycles!
Arion - I've got TWO, but I store 'em in different countries....

Quote:
As Beany said - things are different in Canada....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

In addition to my previous comments - the mirrors work WELL, showing mostly my elbows....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-26-2014, 08:59 AM

Can you buy a bike from Canada and import it to the US? I know people do it the other way around.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2014, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Can you buy a bike from Canada and import it to the US? I know people do it the other way around.
As long as you "jump thru the (appropriate) hoops".... WHY not?

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 08:01 AM

[QUOTE=fasteddiecopeman;660442]Arion - I've got TWO, but I store 'em in different countries....

Eddie - Me too. One in Texas and one in Maine. Two different countries, right?

Arion

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

[quote=Arion;662794]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Arion - I've got TWO, but I store 'em in different countries....

Eddie - Me too. One in Texas and one in Maine. Two different countries, right?
Gotta give you that.

I MIGHT be riding in Texas a bit next fall/ winter.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 02:54 PM

[quote=fasteddiecopeman;663026]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post

Gotta give you that.

I MIGHT be riding in Texas a bit next fall/ winter.
Well, if your plans will bring you near San Antonio let me know. We would be happy to offer the guest bedroom and some good Mexican or German food.

Arion

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 08:43 AM

I'm going to ride through Texas next September, going to the Tail of the Dragon, but will stop by San Antonio to ride the Three Sisters.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
I'm going to ride through Texas next September, going to the Tail of the Dragon, but will stop by San Antonio to ride the Three Sisters.
If you hit AZ - try AZ 366 up Mt Graham, just SW of Safford - MORE turns than the Dragon!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

[quote=Arion;663170]
Quote:

Well, if your plans will bring you near San Antonio let me know. We would be happy to offer the guest bedroom and some good Mexican or German food.
Thanks Arion - I'll TRY to remember your offer...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 01:51 PM

Garage
Quote:
stop by San Antonio to ride the Three Sisters.
Tripplets or what are we talking here? Sounds like a great vacation!:-D

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 08:55 AM

Fz09 was my first choice to trade the Vulcan in on. Then when I saw the insurance rate I waited for the 07 to come out. Then insurance hit me again so I settled for the versys. Still very fun and practical, just certainly not the oomph of those fz's
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 08:44 PM

Garage
[quote=Arion;663170]
Quote:

Hey you 2, get a hotel room !!!

LOP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode