Yamaha FZ-07 & FZ-09 at local dealer - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Yamaha FZ-07 & FZ-09 at local dealer

Last week I stopped at a local Yamaha dealer and sat on the new FZ-07 & FZ-09 bike that they had there.

The FZ 07 felt very slim and very light. In a very good way. Much lighter than my V. It looked good, but no wind protection. It felt smaller, and thinner than my V.

The FZ 09 also looked great, and felt much lighter than my V, but overall felt much closer in size and feel to my V, from sitting in the cockpit. The 3 cross connected exhaust headers looked pretty cool too. The seat felt thin, but not bad. Overall it had a very exciting look to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 04:55 PM

I sat on the FZ-09 as well. It's a great engine for the price. But that's it for me. I was left dissapointed with the sloppy wiring from the instrument panel, poor suspension, cheap looking resevoirs, and it just felt small. It reminded me of sitting on the ktm 690 or a buell xb9. The FZ-07 delivers similiar power to what we already have but offers so much less in my opinion.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 05:08 PM

Of the two, the -09 is the clear winner.

But - I agree with ZX6RTraded that it feels small. A friend got one and I've ridden it maybe 20 miles. My knees (6') hit his frame sliders and the handle bars were very close. I couldn't do many miles on it in comfort. He did have it setup for his ergo's, so there might be some adjustability in there.

That engine (the triple) is simply amazing, though. If (when? ) Yamaha puts that into an upright standard, Versys-like bike, they'll be getting a check from me.

Cheers, Jeff
--------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

2010 Versys
SW-Motech crash bars & bash plate
SW-Motech quick lock rear rack
Two seahorse 720 cases / panniers
Givi wind screen

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

I've heard that the FZ9 suspension isn't the greatest, but I've also seen that many are working on fixes to this. I'm hoping Yamaha offers a version with a full fairing (sport-touring style), and maybe a somewhat bigger, cushier seat.

Pssssst... Yamaha, are you listening?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
I've heard that the FZ9 suspension isn't the greatest, but I've also seen that many are working on fixes to this. I'm hoping Yamaha offers a version with a full fairing (sport-touring style), and maybe a somewhat bigger, cushier seat.

Pssssst... Yamaha, are you listening?
Oh, and a 2 inch longer swing arm, and hard bag capable.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 10:02 AM

I got to ride an fz09 at the track. Love the motor. Nice, comfortable seating position. Stock suspension probably no worse than V stock suspension. For my intended use, the deal breakers are the lack of a windscreen and no side hard luggage option. Givi makes a top case, but currently only soft side bags.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGalToo View Post
I got to ride an fz09 at the track. Love the motor. Nice, comfortable seating position. Stock suspension probably no worse than V stock suspension. For my intended use, the deal breakers are the lack of a windscreen and no side hard luggage option. Givi makes a top case, but currently only soft side bags.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
I would think that there will be several aftermarket windscreens available soon.

Hmmm... maybe I could adapt my current Givi hardbags/mounts to it with a little engineering and fabrication...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode