Lot of Ex-BMW owners here? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Lot of Ex-BMW owners here?

Rode and loved my Beemers for over 25 years. I think that's why my Versys appeals to me so much. I started riding Beemers when they were simple, fun bikes you could tour easily with and enjoy. As the years went by though they have become increasingly more complicated and less reliable in my opinion. Still very expensive too! Less and less dealers around the country to get the expensive but necessary service done at as well.
Bought my Versys while BMW was still a year away from having the new 650 Twin available. I thought I would have it until they came out and then trade or sell for a BMW 650 Twin. Not gonna happen!
Just love my Versys and it's paid for too. It does everything I want in a bike and more. Not a lot of expensive service either. I was a BMWMOA member for many years but no more. I'm still in and active with the local BMW bike club here in Denver. They are a lot of fun folks and we have great rides and events throughout the year.
Will I have a BMW again? Maybe, but they had better start getting the many reliability issues resolved. In the meantime though I'm having a great time with my Versys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 04:12 PM

I love my BMWs, a 87-K100rs and a 2000 R1100R. Use them for two up touring/camping, have had no trouble with either and I do all the service's myself. The V is great for one up camping/touring and just driving around town. I really like the new S1000RR, very sharp bike and the 198 HP helps out too.

81 Honda CB750F with Jupiter sidecar, 82 Honda CB750F, 86 Yamaha Radian, 87 BMW K100RS, 2002 Honda XR 200R, 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250, 2009 Green Versys, 2010 Kawasaki Vukcan 900 Custom
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 04:33 PM

Funny, I just sold my 2001 R1150GS this summer to buy my Versys.
I liked what the BMWs were all about in theory, an all around capable bike. However I didn't like the high $$$$ parts and the sheer weight of the bike. Also they are perceived to be a very durable and bulletproof machine, but I never really saw that side as in the 2 years that I owned it, it ate batteries and other various hard to find parts.
Another downfall in my area was the lack of a dealer network. There was only one BMW dealership in all of the Atlantic Provinces. - In the same area there is likely about 15- 20 Kawi dealers.
Although the BMW had gobs of torque, I actually find the Versys quicker and a lot more nimble. This is mainly due to the weight savings. Apparently the 1200s have improved.
Also the maintenence schedule was insane. These were all things I never had to endure with any jap bike I've owned.
I think its like a Harley, a great bike if thats all you've ever had and a bit over rated for the price (my own opinion, no haters please)

On the bright side, the resale values are great and mine was both a roomy and very comfy machine. But in the end, I'll stick with my Versys.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LFPicture 005.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	432.2 KB
ID:	4411  

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 05:29 PM

Unloaded the BMW last year. I just started to think it wasn't worth the $$$. It seems we are all going down the road at the same speed.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 10:00 PM

sold my 03 r1150rt to buy the V...never regretted the change once..i fing the V to be just as roomy, power is fine but what i like most is the low cost of service, easy dealer support cause theres a metric shop in every town, and easy to modify....
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 10:34 PM

Besides, you can actually see your rear drive before it fails...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 01:05 AM

I had a R25/3 some (many) years ago, and a R80, a GS1100, and a GS1150 more recently. Let's be honest the GS is a very fine bike for 2up with lots of luggage, as well as a blast through the twisties ... but around town, particularly with panniers, she's a bit wide around the hips ... had an incident or two where the handlebar fitted through the gap, but not the rear.
These days I do most of my riding to and from work, so a smaller (cheaper) and slimmer bike is a much better option. But the baby-beamers are not to my liking ... and I am (well, for the time being anyway) quite (very!) happy on the V.

1969 - Victoria 50cc
1970 - Zuendapp KS50 SS
1971 - BMW R25/3

20 years of doom ...

1997 - BMW R80
1998 - BMW R1100GS
2001 - BMW R1150GS
2004 - Ducati M620i
2005 - Ducati Multistrada 1000DS
2007 - Kawa KLR
2009 - Kawa Versys
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 12:23 AM

Rode my Dad's R1100gs since 17. Bought it from him and rode it for 12 years.
Had the R100gs pd and that was also a fun bike.

However after the R1100gs started having expensive problems, had to let her go. If I wanted another BM, might look at the GS but I like really the new Ducati multistrada 1200 styling.

Might sell my V due to overseas job prospects but would like to see the new 2010 versys in the flesh first.

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailslapper View Post
... the maintenence schedule was insane.
Can you say more about that, TS? I'm just curious, not trying to beat up on BMW.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 08:10 AM

You know it is funny how this thread caught my eye, I have always loved BMW in general, from the cars to the bikes. I had an opportunity the other day to ride my buddies brand new 650 gs. I was not impressed any more. After riding the V for the last year, i am in love with it. The GS was not much fun, it did have a little more power than the V but not by much and i mean not much at all. Oh and he put a sargent seat on it which i liked very much.

I Love my V

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 05:42 AM

I still have my R1100RS as companion to the V. To me, the Beemer is better for high speed, long distance road touring. The V is more like a swiss army knife, it can go almost anywhere and is more fun around town.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode