How To: SW-Motech Side Rack On A Kawasaki Ninja 650r - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
How To: SW-Motech Side Rack On A Kawasaki Ninja 650r

I'll apologise in advance for some of the blurry pics. My camera's not so good at indoor pics.
Also I already put the top case and rack on last year, I started to document that,but got distracted
by having to redo the top plate when almost done and never finished taking pics.Lesson learned- never tighten anything onto the bike until all parts are in place!

First: Twisted Throttle will send your box-o-side racks.

I use cupcake pans to organize all the nuts and bolts and lay everything out to make sure there are
no missing pieces.The instructions are usually in German, but don't worry. If you can read a parts fiche, you can follow the pictures they provide.:

Then, go ahead and mount your appropriate luggage tabs on the racks themselves.
I chose the Givi Monokey system. The top tab just takes a couple of simple screws to hold it
in place.Next, place the two lower tabs and tighten the allen bolt through them. So far,so good.

The rubber "bumpers" take a bit more finess. I use copius amounts of saliva to lubricate the back of them
and an allen key (I believe it was a 2 or a 4)stuck into the hole in the front of each bumper, to twist and push the rubber "bumpers" through the holes on the rack.

front of bumper:

back of bumper:

Side view:

Bumpers in place:

Then I flip the racks over and insert the screws that will hold them onto the plates that go
on the bike.

This little washer snaps over it to hold it in place.

All the screws in place:

Now onto the bike.SW-Motech is kind enough to send a bracket that relocates your turn signals.
This was actually the toughest part of the whole install as you have to (one at a time so you don't
mix up wires) unplug each turn signal, disconnect the signal from the bike,pull the signal and wire all the way
out, attach to the new bracket, then finally feed the wire back up through the miniscule
hole on the bottom of the bike and plug it back in.Not really hard, but loads of patience is required while gently trying to encourage the wires back through the hole on the bike.

Here's the new bracket on the bike with my turn signals already disconnected from the bike,but still plugged in at this point.

And here they are mounted to the new bracket.

Next is the luggage mount that goes by your rear passenger peg. It's actually two pieces that clamp
together. Make sure the back piece follows the lines of your rearset.Finger tighten the bolts,but DON'T TIGHTEN THEM ALL THE WAY YET!

13' Honda CRF250L
07' Ninja 650r
08' Versys

States I've Ridden in:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by gypsyangel; 09-11-2009 at 08:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Finally we'll mount the main luggage mounts onto your bike. These go where your grabrails would go.
On my bike, I have the SW-Motech rear rack, so the mounts go under it. SW-Motech once again excells
at following through by sending new bolts to mounts both your top rack and the side rack mounts.
If you have the top rack, you'll want to swap out the bolts with the new ones. If you don't, just
use the bolts provided, they shouldn't be too long.

Here I unbolted the toprack and placed the side rack mounts underneath. They line up
with the angles in the fairing. The rounder one goes in front,but angles towards the tail.
The one with the straighter edges goes in the back and angles towards the front.I placed my
top rack back on top and placed the new bolts through. Only finger tighten them at this point.
DO NOT TIGHTEN THEM ALL THE WAY DOWN YET!

A view from the side.

Now you get to mount the racks to the mounts.Line them up carefully. This is where
you find out why you don't tighten anything down to the bike yet, as you may have to move
the mounts a bit to get everything to line up.

Racks go on in this direction.This is standing on the left side of the bike.
The rear is to the right of the picture.

Place the top two first, They go ontop of the mounting plates, then the lower two at the passenger peg and tail bracket.

The racks lock into the mounts with just a simple turn of a large flat-head screw driver.Turn them clock-wise until they lock into place. It'll be tougher at first, but they get easier to turn after
you've taken em off and on a few times.

Unlocked:

Locked:

Locked:

Once all is in place, go around and finally tighten down all the bolts on your mounts.

Now just add luggage and enjoy.

13' Honda CRF250L
07' Ninja 650r
08' Versys

States I've Ridden in:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator

Very nice write up! Great pics!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 07:57 AM Thread Starter

BTW this is for 06-08' model 650r only.

From Twisted Throttle's website, this is the 09' version:

13' Honda CRF250L
07' Ninja 650r
08' Versys

States I've Ridden in:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode