KLR650 Newish Editionish - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
KLR650 Newish Editionish

Anyone have more specific specs for the "new" KLR?

Dave
1983 Honda XL600R / M-6
2015 Ducati Scrambler Urban Enduro / M-10
2017 Versys X300 / M-12
1966 Honda CT90

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 05:51 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/pro...scid=14&id=802

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yeah I saw that, but couldnt really tell any real suspension upgrades like they talk about, is it all new shock and spring? I see the new seat and all.. just curious.

Dave
1983 Honda XL600R / M-6
2017 Versys X300 / M-12
1966 Honda CT90

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 07:20 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
The newish edition KLR looks remarkably identical to the oldish edition. I'm kinda surprised Kawasaki has not got around to doing a complete redesign. In a recent comparison of similar motorcycles by MCN it finished WAY behind the KTM and Husqvarna. Just the fact it is a 25+ year old design means there is a lot of modern advancements to suspensions, chassis and engines that could be incorporated into this bike to make it better. The KLR for instance still uses a steel perimeter frame chassis, hydraulic damping rod forks, and a carbed engine and analogue gauges.

I think the market is there for a more refined 650cc 50/50 off road and street adv bike from a Japanese manufacturer.

Last edited by twowheels; 12-22-2013 at 07:34 PM.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I would love to see them somehow throw the 650 twin in it, but at the same time its great for what it is.

Dave
1983 Honda XL600R / M-6
2017 Versys X300 / M-12
1966 Honda CT90

post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 09:07 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
The newish edition KLR looks remarkably identical to the oldish edition. I'm kinda surprised Kawasaki has not got around to doing a complete redesign. In a recent comparison of similar motorcycles by MCN it finished WAY behind the KTM and Husqvarna. Just the fact it is a 25+ year old design means there is a lot of modern advancements to suspensions, chassis and engines that could be incorporated into this bike to make it better. The KLR for instance still uses a steel perimeter frame chassis, hydraulic damping rod forks, and a carbed engine and analogue gauges.

I think the market is there for a more refined 650cc 50/50 off road and street adv bike from a Japanese manufacturer.
What I liked about the KLR is that it is a basic low cost platform that can be improved upon by the individual who might have a greater need than the average rider. Mine had Race Tech GVE and springs up front, Cogent Moab shock, HIDs, bash plates and crash bars, luggage, etc. All that without braking the bank.

Then I bought the KLX250s which supposedly has better suspension out of the box and MSRP'd for not much less than my '08 KLR. The suspension is harsh, and I am hesitant to buy new suspension because this suspension is completely adjustable.

How much more does a KTM or Husky cost over the KLR and are they adventure style bikes or street legal dirt bikes. I do miss the KLR from time to time and now that my neighbor has totaled it I won't be seeing it anymore.

My Versys Travels:

post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 09:36 AM
Banned

They are missing out on part of the market by not upgrading the looks of the "ugly pug" to suit today's ADV 'bike looks, also, I see nothing about them getting that Doohickey problem sorted out yet!!!

I would still have one though if my funds allowed it, but a second hand "farkled" one would be my only consideration.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britmick View Post
...also, I see nothing about them getting that Doohickey problem sorted out yet!!!
The second gen KLRs DO have an up-rated "Doo". Much better than the original, but uses the same spring (a 'tension' spring which limits its travel), and is a 'looser' fit than the aftermarket Eagle Mike Doo, so for a few $ you upgrade the Doo and add the torsion spring. THEN it's bullet-proof!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 12:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
The second gen KLRs DO have an up-rated "Doo". Much better than the original, but uses the same spring (a 'tension' spring which limits its travel), and is a 'looser' fit than the aftermarket Eagle Mike Doo, so for a few $ you upgrade the Doo and add the torsion spring. THEN it's bullet-proof!
Yes I know about the 2nd gen upgrade Eddie, but on a $7k motorbike something they could remedy for about $1 still hasn't been fully addressed!
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 04:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
They are missing out on part of the market by not upgrading the looks of the "ugly pug" to suit today's ADV 'bike looks, also, I see nothing about them getting that Doohickey problem sorted out yet!!!

I would still have one though if my funds allowed it, but a second hand "farkled" one would be my only consideration.
Really? I like the looks of the 2nd gen KLRs. Here was mine.

The insurance just paid my neighbor $6000 for the totaled bike. He had 55,000 miles on it.

My Versys Travels:

post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 05:17 PM
Banned

Talking

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!!!
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 10:12 PM

Garage
Quote:
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!!!
Of course we own Versys so we know beauty is in the eye of the beholder. LOL! If you don't like green you shouldn't be riding Kawasaki. That is sacrilege.

My Versys Travels:

post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Yes I know about the 2nd gen upgrade Eddie, but on a $7k motorbike something they could remedy for about $1 still hasn't been fully addressed!
IF they sell 100,000 KLRs a year, that $1 comes to some SERIOUS change....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallCrawl View Post
I would love to see them somehow throw the 650 twin in it, but at the same time its great for what it is.
The whole KLR community has been chomping at the bit for Kawasaki to build a legitimate off road capable bike out of the Versys. I suspect Kawasaki hasn't done it because it would take a massive bite out of KLR sales. However, Kawasaki better build us the bike we want before Yamaha builds a 700 Tenere based off the MT-07 & takes the very same bite out of KLR sales.

I wonder how much profit Kawasaki makes off it's KLR sales to the U.S. military? Kawasaki was the very last of the "Big Four" to build a four stroke MX bike & the military contract for KLRs may make Kawasaki the last to give us a legitimate MODERN dual sport bike, be it a single or a twin.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
IF they sell 100,000 KLRs a year, that $1 comes to some SERIOUS change....

And most buyers wouldn't even notice if Kawasaki bumped the price up by $2, resulting in SERIOUS profit.

I really can't see any reason they don't fix it.
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post

It's fun to dream about such a bike, but I'm sure Kawasaki has considered it and concluded at this time it's just not worth it. The KLR fills a niche, and they don't need to keep updating it every couple of years to keep up with (or stay ahead of) The Europeans. I'm sure if they COULD, KTM and Husqvarna, would like to buid a bike that competes with the KLR in profit margins.

I guess all the same things could (and have been) said about the Versys, yet here we all are, on a Kawasaki Versys forum.

Last edited by cyclesarge; 01-16-2014 at 08:02 AM.
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 04:47 PM

One great improvement for each bike. Give the KLR a 6-speed tranny and give the Versys a 19" front wheel.

2003 Honda RC51
2006 Honda CRF450R
2008 Kawasaki KLX450R
2009 Kawasaki Versys

post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 12:07 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoCyclist View Post
One great improvement for each bike. Give the KLR a 6-speed tranny and give the Versys a 19" front wheel.
A 19" front wheel is fine for you off-road riders, but I like the quick handling road manners of the stocker. I know a lot of folk consider the V as an ADV bike, but seriously it isn't, compared to real ADV bikes, unless a lot of $$$ is thrown at it.

Maybe offer wired off-road sizes as an option?
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 12:15 AM

Sorry, I haven't been on to see this. The 2014.5 KLR650 was at last week-ends Phoenix IMS event & demo rides. I spent some time on the bike and the difference is very noticeable between the suspension upgrades and new seat.

The seat is narrower at the front making it easier to touch the ground and the rear section is 1" wider....definitely more comfortable.
The new front fork springs are 40% firmer plus the revised rebound damping rates are 27% firmer. The new rear suspension offers 63% higher spring rate plus revised damping settings that are 83% firmer.

I'd say the new suspension springs and firmer rebound damping should offer more composure and reduced fork dive when ridden hard. It also offers improved bottoming resistance when ridden over rough terrain.

Dan
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Perfect, thats what I was wondering, the dealer wasnt sure on the exact specs of the suspension. Im seriously considering one to put along side my V. No way Im selling the V though!

Dave
1983 Honda XL600R / M-6
2017 Versys X300 / M-12
1966 Honda CT90

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode